Tilted horizon fixed? (test are welcome)

Reaction score
Today i've to discharge 2 batteries to 50% to keep them stored for some days and i dedicated my whole 2 flights to try to improve gimbal horizon issue. I flew on the seaside to have the better place where to check what i'm doing. I think that at the end of the 2nd flight i reached the optimal and maximum performance achievable with our gimbal.

First of all perform what written in the exact order:

- Take a flat small square surface (wood or plastic are good)

- Put the tablet somewhere and level it paying attention to be leveled horizontally, vertically and diagonally.

- Then put the phantom in the fridge, wait 30 minutes (to avoid long time warm up) and bring it outside on the level tablet you prepared before

- Switch it on and perform immediately an imu calibration.

- When imu finished make signs with a pen where the phantoms legs are (on the corner is ok) on the tablet.

- Take the phantom and perform a compass calibration (thats why i advise to do it outside, houses are full of interferences).

- After done compass calibration put back the phantom on the table in the exact position where it was when performed imu calibration. Switch it on and check the mod value, it should be 1500~ (+ or - 15-20 is ok)

- . If it is, with the bird always on the table in the same position, perform gimbal autocalibration.

NB: Before to perform gimbal autocalibration be sure that your gimbal offset in dji go is set to zero.

After done this, i noticed a good horizon when fly slowly that keep stay leveled but when flying aggressive i noticed the horizon becomes tilted and took a little bit of time with the bird flying slowly to recover and become again straight.

So using DJI GO APP in the gimbal advanced settings i changed Gimbal Pitch from 50% to 100% and Gimbal syncronous follow to OFF

I've not so much battery at that moment to make deep test but within the nexts minutes of flying i noticed that the gimbal recover faster and was straight even when flying and turning aggresively.

If someone want to try and share the results is welcome.

Last edited:
I contacted DJI to see if I can get my gimbal fixed/replaced because of the tilted horizon issue. You shouldn't have to go through all of the steps you mention to get it to work right. I don't see putting your Phantom in the "fridge" to do an IMU calibration a long term fix. Just my opinion. I've calibrated my IMU and gimbal several times in a cooled off environment and it doesn't fix the issue.

I contacted DJI to see if I can get my gimbal fixed/replaced because of the tilted horizon issue. You shouldn't have to go through all of the steps you mention to get it to work right. I don't see putting your Phantom in the "fridge" to do an IMU calibration a long term fix. Just my opinion. I've calibrated my IMU and gimbal several times in a cooled off environment and it doesn't fix the issue.

Don't misunderstood. I advise to make a cold imu cal just to reduce at ZERO, phantom warm up time. But for target of this topic, a cold imu calibration or a normal temp calibration make no differences.

Hi Steve
I know what you are saying however, I did my IMU cal after cooling the P3P in the fridge at 2°C , my mate did the same thing at at 10°C result when we fly together my Bird is ready to fly GPS mode at least twice as fast as his, quite a bit has been posted about this, some positive some negative, it worked for me I will do it again when IMU needs recalibrating :)

Reactions: StevenQX
Hi Steve
I know what you are saying however, I did my IMU cal after cooling the P3P in the fridge at 2°C , my mate did the same thing at at 10°C result when we fly together my Bird is ready to fly GPS mode at least twice as fast as his, quite a bit has been posted about this, some positive some negative, it worked for me I will do it again when IMU needs recalibrating :)
Exactly. Same here. [emoji106]

truem i have had the tilted horizon issue since day one. I've done all sorts of calibrations but that hasnt fixed the problem.
DJI is being a **** to not address this problem.

I'm curious what gimbal synchronous follow does, any idea? I also recall a yaw setting, maybe it's the same? Either way I've never changed it to OFF.

Hi Steve

I'm not contesting that. I believe it being cooler helps it get ready to fly faster. All I was talking about was addressing the tilted horizon issue.

I'm not contesting that. I believe it being cooler helps it get ready to fly faster. All I was talking about was addressing the tilted horizon issue.
Well it's nothing special what I've done. It's just performing evey thing in correct order and play with DJI GO settings.

Well it's nothing special what I've done. It's just performing evey thing in correct order and play with DJI GO settings.
I"m sure it will help others out. I just don't agree with having to do all of that to try and get a straight horizontal picture with your gimbal. Especially when I've spent over a $1000 on the Phantom not counting extra battery and other stuff. It should work correctly or be repaired in my opinion.

Thanks,
Steve

I'm curious what gimbal synchronous follow does, any idea? I also recall a yaw setting, maybe it's the same? Either way I've never changed it to OFF.
To test it start the phantom (even in house and without props is ok) connect the rc and start dji go. Then move right stick left and right, you should see that gimbal with that setting on move left and right simultaneously with the rc sticks, with that off don't.

I"m sure it will help others out. I just don't agree with having to do all of that to try and get a straight horizontal picture with your gimbal. Especially when I've spent over a $1000 on the Phantom not counting extra battery and other stuff. It should work correctly or be repaired in my opinion.

Thanks,
Steve
Ok if you think it's faster to send it to dji to be repaired do that. But honestly i think that there is nothing to repair in my gimbal, it's a mix of software and hardware that mades horizon tilted. I'm happy with my results now.

Ok if you think it's faster to send it to dji to be repaired do that. But honestly i think that there is nothing to repair in my gimbal, it's a mix of software and hardware that mades horizon tilted. I'm happy with my results now.
I think it's a problem with the gimbal, otherwise why doesn't everybody have the same problem? Some do, but not all.

I think it's a problem with the gimbal, otherwise why doesn't everybody have the same problem? Some do, but not all.
Nobody is able to show a raw 15 min video while flying and turning pointing at the seaside horizon with an always perfect leveled gimbal. I'm sure about that.

@wheeliesteve
My advice is to send it in if you still have the chance.
The dreaded horizon tilt

Reactions: JoBe
@wheeliesteve
My advice is to send it in if you still have the chance.
The dreaded horizon tilt
All phantoms have this issue. Even P4. That's why imho there is nothing to be repaired (obviously I'm talking about birds that never hard landed/crashed/flew with gimbal clamp on) and nothing dji can do.

I've seen ZERO raw 10 minutes video of phantoms flying where the horizon line is clearly visible performing turns that shows a perfect leveled gimbal. Most of people that think that they don't have the issue is because or they don't notice it or because they fly where the terrain make it difficult to see.

All phantoms have this issue. Even P4. That's why imho there is nothing to be repaired (obviously I'm talking about birds that never hard landed/crashed/flew with gimbal clamp on) and nothing dji can do.

I've seen ZERO raw 10 minutes video of phantoms flying where the horizon line is clearly visible performing turns that shows a perfect leveled gimbal. Most of people that think that they don't have the issue is because or they don't notice it or because they fly where the terrain make it difficult to see.
Ciao sir. That's wonderful if you are happy with your horizon.

Ciao sir. That's wonderful if you are happy with your horizon.
What kind of answer is that [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

I'm just trying to help sharing my experience. If you don't agree you're free to avoid to write here.

What kind of answer is that [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]
Sorry sir, I didn't see that you asked me a question. I thought you simply made a statement regarding my post to wheeliesteve. If I misunderstood, please repeat your question and I will try to answer more to your liking. Ciao.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic