Tilted Horizon, DJi Replaced My P4, Fixed

Reaction score
Sent it in after haggling with them on chat then haggling again for a shipping label. Got it back maybe 10 days later.

Opened the box up and noticed the new warning stickers on the P4 arms. Hmm they must have replaced the whole unit. Also noticed by FAA number and Phone number stickers were not on the shell. I read the repair report. All it said was the whole gimbal and camera housing was replaced. But yet this looked like a whole craft replacement. The serial number on the inside was not worn like before from battery insertions etc. Can't recall what my serial number was before to compare.

Booted the P4 up and it asked me to activate and I noticed it had the same firmware, 2 revisions behind, as what was on my P4 when I sent it in. As I was running the latest iOS GO App I needed to upgrade the RC and P4 firmware. Otherwise for some strange reason the IMU and Compass values in the GO App were showing N/A.

Updated firmware, IMU and calbrated gimbal and compass. Flew it and GOLDEN, no more Gimbal horizon issue. It is 100% spot on and level.

If your Gimbal is off send it in.

Reactions: Jussaguy
Yeah, similar situation I had. I sent mine in for three complaints. The paperwork said replaced main board, but they actually replaced the craft. New serial number, stickers, required activation.

Yeah, similar situation I had. I sent mine in for three complaints. The paperwork said replaced main board, but they actually replaced the craft. New serial number, stickers, required activation.
They probably just don't want that word getting out that send it in for something like gimble replacement and you'll get a new bird.

I know for a fact that right now DJI US are searching hardcore for engineers and this is why. Half of the engineers that work at DJI in Carson wouldn't even do a gimble replacement, they would send a new bird and send the other got parts to Zhenshen. That's where the engineers are that really know how to work in that bird well.

Been through 3 and same thing in all, even thought it was fixed, it's not, and won't be until they fix software

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's confirmed Tahoe Ed told me (rcgroup forum), sometimes it's cheaper for them to replace units with new refurbished ones from China. I got screwed, sent my P4 in which was perfect other then the 2 small hairline cracks that developed. When I got (supposingly) mine back; it was a different unit with gimbal issues that made and grinding noise when I moved it around, and the Horizon level was bad, couldn't get it right no matter what I tried. Of course, I called, emailed and complained. Sent that one back and now patiently waiting for whatever they send back to me.

It's confirmed Tahoe Ed told me (rcgroup forum), sometimes it's cheaper for them to replace units with new refurbished ones from China. I got screwed, sent my P4 in which was perfect other then the 2 small hairline cracks that developed. When I got (supposingly) mine back; it was a different unit with gimbal issues that made and grinding noise when I moved it around, and the Horizon level was bad, couldn't get it right no matter what I tried. Of course, I called, emailed and complained. Sent that one back and now patiently waiting for whatever they send back to me.
Well that just sucks.

Good news is that when I was having a problem when I wanted to buy a second one, the one I ended up with was super perfect.

I question the notion they are shipping refurbished units. The finish on these drones is so shiny, you'll be able to tell if it's been used. I inspected my replacement with a magnifying glass trying to find any signs of prior human touch, but nothing, it was pristine new. Yes, they could replace the shell, but that's a ton of work, I doubt if they'd do that. If they are going to do that, they might as well fix the one that was shipped in. I think it would be less work.

It appears the chances of getting a bad P4 new in the box is about 10 to 15%, but that's just a guess. Seems like a lot of guys are exchanging them when they get them new. I'm wondering what Apple shows as a return rate. Can you imagine the pile of P4s Apple has returned to DJI? Oh man oh man. I wouldn't want to be the QA manager at DJI, that job would be a total joke, a laughing stock, not to mention high stress.

Reactions: Bigdz
I wish you the best, but I doubt it's fixed. So, when you yaw/pan and/or pitch left/right, your horizon stays perfectly level? Even as you're moving?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I wish you the best, but I doubt it's fixed. So, when you yaw/pan and/or pitch left/right, your horizon stays perfectly level? Even as you're moving?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's fixed. I have 3 P3's and the P4. I know what an off level gimbal is and when it's fixed. The gimbal will never been 100% level 100% of the time but when it's 100% unlevel 100% of the time it's broken.

Ok, I can live with that, if you freely admit they they just aren't ever going to be perfect all the time, then good, I'm glad you're happy, I really am, I have to say, every one I've had, 3 total, each has had a tilted gimbal.
The one I have now I can put up 360* videos and it would be really really good, where nobody would complain, but I can also show in same P4 when it was having a bad day, and the horizon was bad at certain yaw points.
I still say all have it, some ppl don't care, some have never bothered to think about it or notice it, some ppl live in areas that it's easier to see and those who live in places it's really hard to notice, some who won't admit it, so because it takes all kinds, we have different views of the issues but I just wish they would admit it and say "we're gonna make this right for everyone"
The only video I've seen of a typhoon H, the horizon was way worse then mine, or as bad as it was/is on its worst day, so it's not unique to DJI

If your Gimbal is off send it in.
Thanks for advice. I have done all calibrations, tests..etc...and the horizon stays well just for few minutes...then it tilts 2-3 degrees. My P3P does not have this issue at all. What proof did you need to send to DJI so they accept it is wrong?

They didn't ask for proof. They tried to get me to downgrade P4 firmware and try. I downgraded then had compatibility issues with the firmware on the Comtroller so I insisted again that it be sent in for repair. I knew I could downgrade Controller firmware but I didn't think that would resolve the issue. They setup the RMA and I asked for a pre-paid shipping label. Dude said it would come in an email. To be patient. I waited a day no shipping label so I emailed support with my RMA # and they replied with a shipping label. It seems DJi is pretty stingy about those pre-paid shipping labels. You just have to be persistent.

Sent mine out yesterday, let's see how long....

Ok, I can live with that, if you freely admit they they just aren't ever going to be perfect all the time, then good, I'm glad you're happy, I really am, I have to say, every one I've had, 3 total, each has had a tilted gimbal.
The one I have now I can put up 360* videos and it would be really really good, where nobody would complain, but I can also show in same P4 when it was having a bad day, and the horizon was bad at certain yaw points.
I still say all have it, some ppl don't care, some have never bothered to think about it or notice it, some ppl live in areas that it's easier to see and those who live in places it's really hard to notice, some who won't admit it, so because it takes all kinds, we have different views of the issues but I just wish they would admit it and say "we're gonna make this right for everyone"
The only video I've seen of a typhoon H, the horizon was way worse then mine, or as bad as it was/is on its worst day, so it's not unique to DJI

I hate to say it (for you) but I own two P4s and the horizon is perfectly level 100% of the time and I never have to do a gimbal calibration. That said, I had to go through a couple to get my second one before it was right but that was a couple months ago and I think they got it right since then.

I sent mine to DJI 2 weeks ago. It was shipped back this week. It will arrive next Monday. Let's see. I also have a P3P. I have never calibrated the gimbal and it is perfect leveled. Hope my returned P4 from DJI service will be leveled.

I hate to say it (for you) but I own two P4s and the horizon is perfectly level 100% of the time and I never have to do a gimbal calibration. That said, I had to go through a couple to get my second one before it was right but that was a couple months ago and I think they got it right since then.
I've got 2 million ft flown on this latest one, I get a lot of flight time in, the horizon tilt is not really a problem as long as I level it before using it. Just visited DJI forum, TiHo is all over the place!! I mean all over, this isn't just bad for me, it's bad for everyone it seems, you may be lucky, but it seems to effect about 70% and I'll bet it's more like 100% having gone through 3 AC with 100% outcome, I'd love, LOVE to have someone's UAV that says there horizon is perfect, just for one day, in my surroundings, flying the way I do, that's the only thing that should convince anyone like me, actual proof.
As trustworthy as I am sure you are, and I know in the film arena your much more qualified then me, but as a critical thinking person, I cannot and will not take someone's "word" or, what they "saw" as proof.
This doesn't make you wrong, it just makes me critical and scientific about the approach.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj