Tight Stock ND Filter

Reaction score
Hi Guys, First post for me. I'm having trouble removing the standard ND filter so I can fit a Taco ND replacement. Its very tight, I have tried putting tape round it to give my fingers some grip, didn't work. I then resorted to a set of grips which have now marked the cap. That also didn't work. If I Squeeze any harder I'm afraid I will cause more damage. Anybody had this problem ?

I just went through this. After searching through the site I found the trick was to actually not use a lot of pressure and hold it by the very front edge when you go to unscrew it. I also tried the rubber band trick and that seem to work.

Thanks for your reply Sprague, My Taco filter set just arrived this morning so will be having another try later today. Will let you know how I get on.

Great, hope it works! I struggled with mine for at least half an hour and then when I almost gave it a "Zen" approach it did as other's suggested and very easily screwed off. Good luck!

Well after struggling all day without any joy I had to get drastic. I had to put two saw cuts in the end of the cap and the put a scissor blade in the slots to turn it, even then it was tight. I could feel the threads biting as it came off. I could see a slight angle to the cap as it came off, I suspect it was put on cross threaded. Luckily the fine thread that came out was off the cap not he camera. Thanks for your replies (even the last one :D).

Attachments

• Bummer.jpg
    Bummer.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 351
Amazing to hear that it was cross threaded! I don't think I've read that anywhere else before. Well at least you're now frustration free! Have you had a chance to shoot any footage with the filters yet?

Plan to fly at the weekend, we have had a few wet days here in Yorkshire. Can't wait !.

Cheers Sprague, will try to upload something next week. [emoji106]

I bought a set from phantomfilters.com but have yet to fit them hopefully it won't be as problematic! The weather does look good in Yorkshire the next few days so I hope to get mine out for its first flight!

My polar pro phantom 3 filters arrived today. I thought I'd see how the stock filter comes off and it was very very easy. Hardly used any pressure to unscrew it.

Hi MrG, good luck, will be my first flight also. Hope we both manage to stay in one piece [emoji16]. Greetings Sandstorm, glad you didn't have any problems [emoji4].

Reactions: Sandstorm76
I bought a set from phantomfilters.com but have yet to fit them hopefully it won't be as problematic! The weather does look good in Yorkshire the next few days so I hope to get mine out for its first flight!

Hey MrG Just wondering what video settings you are using as you are a UK PAL man. I have tried 4K down to 1080p in Edius8 software and 1080p@50fps set in P3P. The later seems to play better and to be honest doesn't look much different.

Hey MrG Just wondering what video settings you are using as you are a UK PAL man. I have tried 4K down to 1080p in Edius8 software and 1080p@50fps set in P3P. The later seems to play better and to be honest doesn't look much different.

Hi! As of yet I've not done any video footage but I'll be sure to let you know! I feel this could be a lot of trial and error!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31