tight battery

Reaction score
Since the beginning, all three of the batteries for my Phantom 2 Vision are very tightly set in the quad and are extremely difficult to remove. The battery slides in easily until in a position just about where the terminals in the Phantom touch the battery (I don't think the terminals are the issue and merely use this as a frame of reference) or, in another description, the top grey panel just disappears into the machine. This last half inch or so of insertion is very stubborn. Removing the battery requires yanking hard to disengage the two latches. At that point I have to dig my fingernails into the small gap and yank like crazy to pull it free.

There is no feeling of two pieces impacting one another. I have looked at the batteries and there is no sign of rubbing or scratching. I used highlighters to mark the battery's surface (water soluble and easily washed off) and looked for places where the ink had been rubbed off from contact--nothing. It feels like simple plastic on plastic friction, but I cannot see any scuff marks that indicate where two surfaces are in such tight contact. Perhaps a simple filing of a burr would fix the problem but only if I can track it down. Has anyone had similar issues?

Try this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
i fixed mine this way and works smooth,two finger battery removal now. on end of your battery you will see 2 grooves about an inch long. dab a tiny amount of grease in the grooves and your battery will come and go smoothly.

msinger said:
Try this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIperEc05Ls[/youtube]

I've been using this technique for a while. Works like a champ!

Pmcdn said:
msinger said:
Try this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIperEc05Ls[/youtube]

I've been using this technique for a while. Works like a champ!

I also use a very small amount of silicone grease on all my batteries. And it works using only one hand. :lol:

Yep -- grease works well too if you don't mind a little mess ;)

msinger said:

There's no mess whatsoever. :roll:

jason said:
msinger said:

So, none of that grease gets in your case when you slide your batteries in? :?

msinger said:
jason said:
msinger said:

So, none of that grease gets in your case when you slide your batteries in? :?

You need not more than a very small dab (no more than a pin head) on each track. Instead of knocking it why not try it with one battery.

jason said:
msinger said:
You need not more than a very small dab (no more than a pin head) on each track. Instead of knocking it why not try it with one battery.
I'm not knocking it -- just pointing out that you might get some grease in your case. People will likely only care about that though if they are **** like me :D

I have no trouble removing my batteries by following the video above. So, the grease is an unnecessary step for me.

msinger said:
jason said:
msinger said:
I'm not knocking it -- just pointing out that you might get some grease in your case. People will likely only care about that though if they are **** like me :D

I have no trouble removing my batteries by following the video above. So, the grease is an unnecessary step for me.

He is talking about silicone grease. It is clear when applied and very little is needed. It isn't like regular grease.

We're not talking a lube job at your corner garage. :lol:

PhantomFanatic said:
He is talking about silicone grease. It is clear when applied and very little is needed. It isn't like regular grease.
So, there is absolutely no chance of any of this grease rubbing off when I slide the batteries into my $200 case?

jason said:
We're not talking a lube job at your corner garage. :lol:
Ah, thanks. I was just about to call Jiffy Lube. You are a godsend.

msinger said:
PhantomFanatic said:
So, there is absolutely no chance of any of this grease rubbing off when I slide the batteries into my $200 case?

Here a video of how and where some of us have been applying the silicone grease and you only need a small dab of grease.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHjgnUpAifE[/youtube]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic