Throw your $$$ in the river

Reaction score
I loved my Phanton, till it crashed twice. Found it both times. My dealer helipal was good to me by splitting costs, but still dji should back their product.
DO NOT BUY DJI PRODUCTS, THEY ARE NOT READY FOR THE GENERAL MARKET!

My DJI Phantom gained my confidence.

Yesterday, my FPV monitor battery went dead on me, Phantom far out of sight. Hit a mild panic, then flipped the failsafe switch. It came back to me. I took control by interrupting the RTH, and landed it safely. Amazing little things they are.

I often fly over water, only becuase, like said, it gained my trust.

Obviously aware that anything can go wrong at any time, crash or fly away, so I just do all in my capabilities to prevent it. If I mess upmand I lose my gear, so be it. If I dont mess up and I lose my gear, so be it.

Its a risk I am prepared to take. So far it has given me so much joy!

But DJI is not the only product out there, just the one I have chosen and so far so good. Also had a crash, think it was the CF props, so no more CF props for me......

Marc70 said:
I loved my Phanton, till it crashed twice. Found it both times. My dealer helipal was good to me by splitting costs, but still dji should back their product.

Without details this post is meaningless. There's nothing readers can learn from it.

I think it was more an emotional share

:)

Marc70 said:

I've owned my Phantom V1.1 for about a year and in that time the only components I've replaced are the 8inch props for the newer 9 inch. It has flown where I wanted it to fly and landed where and when I wanted it to land. In February this year I built a DJI F550 Hex with Gimbal and Groundstation. All parts are DJI except for the Receiver, (FrSky X8R),landing skid ( AeroXcraft), and telemetry ( Zaggometry ). Again this MR has always done what I have told it to do.

As a previous poster has said, without qualifying your statement with details it is meaningless. Very few hobby type products are ready for the general market. It should be assumed that the purchaser has some practical knowledge and appreciation of the basics. I might as well say the Canon 5d MKIII is faulty as I can't get the same pictures that Ansel Adams took all those years ago.

Provide us with details and we maybe able to empathise and possibly identify the problem that has caused you so much outrage.

Regards

Nidge.

Marc70 said:

Any details as to why or how it went for a swim?

I have flow r/c planes since the mid-70s and the Phantom, despite it's relatively advanced flight control system, will not tolerate much fault from the operator before or during flight.

If you FLY you WILL crash at some point.

Expecting the manufacturer to keep resupplying you with new a/c is unrealistic.

It's small size and symmetrical shape can make for easy disorientation and that can lead to a lot of seemingly unexpected control response and movements.

You won't get much respect for your advice or even sympathy for your situation without at least some detail as to what happened. Often what may seem like a defect in the machine is the inexperience of the user.

I've only been flying for the past year but I know now that 100% of my crashes were my fault. Even the one that I thought was a fly away until I realized I had accidentally put it in manual mode. The Phantom certainly has some bugs but you can still fly it pretty reliably.

Geert said:
.......I am flying my P2V for a year now. I had only one minor crash due a battery issue and had to replace the landing gear, that's all.
So far I am happy with the DJI P2V. :D

Geert./.
Same here. Less time with mine. First flight error: tree. Second: wind gust: tree. Only damage: two props. Everything else has worked just fine with my P2V. (knock on wood) Other than that, my 55 recorded flights and about another 25, no video saved, have been OK.

I almost lost my Phantom early on due to my Newbness. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, didn't read the manuals thoroughly, had no pre-flight/post-flight checklist, and on and on... The fact that I was able to get it back at all speaks volumes to the flight systems...

I've only had my P2V tip over a few times early on, before I started hand landing and taking off at full throttle. I'd had the same props on the aircraft for many months and only changed them because I went to the new 9450 props after adding a RotorPixel gimbal.

Aside from the issues I'm having with the original battery and all of the beta testing we went through... :D So far so good. I've owned this bird for very nearly a year...

-slinger

Happyflyer said:
Same here. Less time with mine. First flight error: tree. Second: wind gust: tree. Only damage: two props. Everything else has worked just fine with my P2V. (knock on wood) Other than that, my 55 recorded flights and about another 25, no video saved, have been OK.

Sounds like your bird got you covered on (knock on wood) :lol:

Well I didn't expect much sympathy by people who've never lost their bird, YET.
Anyways, here's the video. http://youtu.be/vkRsspIdps0
I'd just flown it 10 minutes earlier, with no problems, then Al, of a sudden this.
I regularly connect to the pc, make sure I read all the signal lights.
It just took off on its own, and yes I'm pissed.

OK .. we still know very little of what occurred. No way to conduct any kind of accident investigation.
We've got your summary It just took off on its own and video showing some kind of roll over and fall from the sky?
How about some details of what happened?
What kind of bird was it?
The video is very wonky with horizon all over the place.
Did the quad fly that way or is it just a very dodgy camera attachment?

Your first post mentions that it had crashed twice.
Again - no details of the first incident to work with.
Was there any damage that may be a contributing factor?

Given the thousands of Phantoms that fly straight, go where they are piloted and come back to their pilots, it's ridiculous to say that DJI products are not ready for the general market. If you want to convince anyone you will have to put a bit more effort into your story.

Okay... How far away from you was the aircraft when it went down? How many large structures were between you and it at the time?

And... flying over a busy highway is a bit risky... and I don't mean risky for you. Especially in an aircraft that had "crashed twice before." :shock: :shock: :shock:

Also... I'm assuming ( I have to, you didn't give out much info ) that this is a P2 with a GoPro and no gimbal, flying in GPS mode? Or was this a P 1.1.1 ?

-slinger

It's a p 1.1.1, as far as structures the video shows almost from takeoff right to crash. This is the 2nd crash I've had.
The reason I'm posting this is mostly for new buyers, that may look to the forums to see if there's any glitches. Yes there are, and it's not always pilot.

Marc70 said:
dji should back their product.
DO NOT BUY DJI PRODUCTS

Think of your Phantom like your car. If you have a problem with your car, do you go to the corporate office of the manufacturer of your car? (Ford, Honda, Toyota) no. you go to a local dealer who in turn supports and services your car.

DJI Phantom same thing. You don't go to DJI corporate with your issues, you go to the dealer you bought it from.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20