Through the woods...

Reaction score
I'm starting a "through the woods" video thread for people that are curious about what kind of penetration others are getting... just for fun. Post your vid, and tell us about your setup! And if you have it, post a pic of your setup!

I'm just starting so this is my only decent vid to start things out. This video is my second run with my DBS02 modded GL300C, on my P4.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

f9c5ed9b0930def52c682536dcf3dc08.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Doesn't matter if you have already posted vids in various threads, the point is to get penetration vids to one thread, not only for people that are currently building setups, but also for newbies that didn't even know this was possible.

I'll be posting here as soon as I find a spot with co-operating conditions (Rain/wind). It's off to grandmas house we'll go. But yours was pretty well done, how can we top that?

Reactions: JohnnyB
I also plan on modding the drone with 4 4-8db antennas. I don't know what db the stock ones are, and it's a possibility that increasing the db strengths on the Phantom will improve the penetration value through trees. And I love to mod it anyway...

I would like to do an antenna mod.. I'm looking to be able to stand inside my house and fly the quad outside.. While I watch through a window.. But also looking to use the setup outside as well both me and the quad.. I'm only getting roughly 6000-6500 feet right now with my p3a.. I just got an hdmi board for my controller, I just gotta buy some goggles and figure out which antenna mod to do. Anybody have any recommendations as to which mod would be the simplest/cheapest, but with the best range for the price?

I'm not afraid to open up my controller as I am a mechanic and can solder and have worked with lots of small electronics. But I have never had the p3a remote open before and have no clue what antenna mods work the best for the price. Any help would be greatly appericated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to do an antenna mod.. I'm looking to be able to stand inside my house and fly the quad outside.. While I watch through a window.. But also looking to use the setup outside as well both me and the quad.. I'm only getting roughly 6000-6500 feet right now with my p3a.. I just got an hdmi board for my controller, I just gotta buy some goggles and figure out which antenna mod to do. Anybody have any recommendations as to which mod would be the simplest/cheapest, but with the best range for the price?

I'm not afraid to open up my controller as I am a mechanic and can solder and have worked with lots of small electronics. But I have never had the p3a remote open before and have no clue what antenna mods work the best for the price. Any help would be greatly appericated

Lots of great and intelligent info on that subject here...
http://www.phantompilots.com/index.php?threads/74756/
Flying from inside house or car anyone?

And if/when you open up the controller to add clean install leads, be VERY careful of all the data ribbons!! If they get damaged you'll have to buy a new controller. I don't see any replacements of them.

Well, here is a video my 70 year old dad did after I got him a Phantom and built a external antenna system ( Whips on a 15ft. tall mast). No amps were used in this flight. It wasn't a far away flight, but it was done watching through a 24" monitor. He almost made it through a very narrow trail through trees. I'd say it was pretty darn good! He actually did it before I did!

Last edited:
I'm starting a "through the woods" video thread for people that are curious about what kind of penetration others are getting... just for fun. Post your vid, and tell us about your setup! And if you have it, post a pic of your setup!

I'm just starting so this is my only decent vid to start things out. This video is my second run with my DBS02 modded GL300C, on my P4.

f9c5ed9b0930def52c682536dcf3dc08.jpg

How much did you pay for your antenna mod and where exactly did you buy it? There are a few on eBay I was looking at for like 50-60$ for my p3a .. I already have the hdmi module but am looking for a decent aftermarket antenna to mod my controller with next.. Then my last step is to buy goggles .

Well, here is a video my 70 year old dad did after I got him a Phantom and built a external antenna system ( Whips on a 15ft. tall mast). No amps were used in this flight. It wasn't a far away flight, but it was done from inside his house watching through a 24" monitor. He almost made it through a very narrow trail through trees. I'd say it was pretty darn good! He actually did it before I did!

This is EXACTlY what I want to do.. Iv been dreaming of doing this ever since I got my phantom 3a .. When you mod the controller with those antenna fittings.. Can you just be able to connect any type of like sati lite dish or tv cable to each one? Will it thread right on? Or do you use something different than that.. This is the one question I havnt seemed to get answerd yet

These are modded with SMA type connectors. You add antenna (of your choice with the mating adapter/coupler) of RP-SMA type.

sma types.png
These are the types used:

These are the types used:
View attachment 72445

Thanks gram, sorry I posted before I saw your replys on the tread I made yesterday. I checked out those links, will def be purchasing one of these kits vs eBay kits, look much better and way better built. And these cables look just like the ones on my direct tv dish.. Are these the same? Or are they different? Sorry I don't know technical names for the cables ... If so then this helps a lot.. Cuz eventually I am gonna build an antenna on a stand for outside use while I fly from inside ..

You'll need to attach a qualified antenna to them. Just "Any" antenna won't perform or work.

I built my first external out of RG-6 cable 50 foot to SMA connectors. Works pretty darn good. Put the fabricated antenna mount on a 15 foot pvc pipe mast and topped it off with 8 db WIFI whip antennas. ($50 for everything)

Your satellite/cable tv cables are the F-type connector)

To even attach a F-type to a SMA you'd need a adapter (amazon has them all). But I'd imagine the antenna you are thinking of using won't work. A cheap WIFI whip such as this: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Omni...rd_wg=cbQIc&psc=1&refRID=RZ3JACSK4NBTGDKDSVRX would be a simple start for almost no $$ input. Research the data and related facts before going further. Cable type is everything as well as antenna types. Get your feet wet with something like this, then dive further once you get comfortable with knowing what is involved. It will save you headache and $$.

Well, here is a video my 70 year old dad did after I got him a Phantom and built a external antenna system ( Whips on a 15ft. tall mast). No amps were used in this flight. It wasn't a far away flight, but it was done from inside his house watching through a 24" monitor. He almost made it through a very narrow trail through trees. I'd say it was pretty darn good! He actually did it before I did!
Haha!! Awesome!! Tell pops were proud of him!! I think it's just great you doing that for him... Man! He almost made it! That was exciting to watch... He was doing a little bush whacking! Lol I'd say my time is coming. :)
Thanks for posting his video for him Gram!

How much did you pay for your antenna mod and where exactly did you buy it? There are a few on eBay I was looking at for like 50-60$ for my p3a .. I already have the hdmi module but am looking for a decent aftermarket antenna to mod my controller with next.. Then my last step is to buy goggles .

Don't care a bit to post Jake's website because he's a vendor here. maxxuav.com is where it came from. Give Jake a call. Top notch service.

Reactions: NoBiffBetter

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic