Throttle Issue After firmware udpate

Reaction score
After updating firmware I can now only get about half throttle. This is a new Phantom 2, it flew fine before update but now its as if the throttle is set to only allow 50% or so throttle?

There were at least three things that updated when I ran it all yesterday. Go through and make sure everything is up to date. Also do quick calibration and run the RC Program as well.

Have you looked at your gains? It might have been changed during the update.

Still no go. I've went back through the entire process (see below) and still throttle response is only allowing partial (less than 50%) response, also when bring stick back to center often throttle does not respond. Keep in mind I am testing without props, I used to could "rev" the motors and "hear" that the engines were reving up. Keep in mind tihs is a brand new unit that flew fine out of the box, with only minor J hooking and so I decided to calibrate and also upgraded firmware. I do not recall the version it was on out of the box, but like I said I only received this Phantom a few days ago. I have been flying Phantoms for almost a year and decided to get a second Phantom with the new H3-3D gimbal.

Detailed Steps Of Calibration

1. Plugged in USB to controller, turned on cntroller, opened RC application v 1.1. Made sure was in Mode 2, re-calibrated both joy sticks and even switched S1 and S2 and gimbal lever and saw proper motion recorded . Closed app. Repeated just to be safe.
2. Plugged in USB to Phantom 2 (P2), turned on P2, opened PT2 Assist version 3.2, checked for updates, updated to version 3.06, cycled power.
3. Went to RC section and calibrated Command sticks. No problem.
4. Went to RC section and calibrated X1 sticks. No problem.

Tested without props on, still no full throttle and even after bringing stick to neutral the throttle does not respond, ie. It stays at 50 % until I move the stick up and down a few times, basically unresponsive.

Gonzo,
Just did the update and same process as you and having the same problem. I am going to re-install the updates and try again.
Warren

Reinstalled update and same issue again. No idea as to fix.

I'm really not sure if this was the solution but I noticed my binding light (showing that the P2 is bound to the controller) never went to green, just Red to nothing, so I decided to try rebinding, still no green light but when I tried a test flight the P2 flew fine. I am going to do some more flying and post back my findings.

How to rebind controller to P2.

1. Make sure both P2 and controller are off.

2. Turn on the P2, note the red bincing light is on.

3. Press the red light/btton with a small object. Red light will flash.

4. Turn on controller. The red light on P2 should go green showing successful binding. Note my light did ot go green, it actually turned from Red to no light.

Anyway I put the props on and took it for a test flight and it flew fine.

Gonzoshots said:
Still no go. I've went back through the entire process (see below) and still throttle response is only allowing partial (less than 50%) response, also when bring stick back to center often throttle does not respond. Keep in mind I am testing without props, I used to could "rev" the motors and "hear" that the engines were reving up. Keep in mind tihs is a brand new unit that flew fine out of the box, with only minor J hooking and so I decided to calibrate and also upgraded firmware. I do not recall the version it was on out of the box, but like I said I only received this Phantom a few days ago. I have been flying Phantoms for almost a year and decided to get a second Phantom with the new H3-3D gimbal.

Detailed Steps Of Calibration

1. Plugged in USB to controller, turned on cntroller, opened RC application v 1.1. Made sure was in Mode 2, re-calibrated both joy sticks and even switched S1 and S2 and gimbal lever and saw proper motion recorded . Closed app. Repeated just to be safe.
2. Plugged in USB to Phantom 2 (P2), turned on P2, opened PT2 Assist version 3.2, checked for updates, updated to version 3.06, cycled power.
3. Went to RC section and calibrated Command sticks. No problem.
4. Went to RC section and calibrated X1 sticks. No problem.

Tested without props on, still no full throttle and even after bringing stick to neutral the throttle does not respond, ie. It stays at 50 % until I move the stick up and down a few times, basically unresponsive.

You say you did the controller calibration in RC assistant before you then updated the p2 to 3.06. Do the controller calibration again in RC assistant, then the p2 calibration again.

Ok, I'm throwing in here because I had the same issue. ALMOST lost my P2 in a harbor a few weeks back because I lowered the altitude for about 3 seconds and it kept going down another 100 feet no matter how much throttle I gave it. You can watch the footage where the P2 nearly breaks the water, but jusssssst starts to climb at the last second. Talk about a clencher.

I was doing some testing of another P2 last week. I was trying to see why my own P2 was doing strange things and thought it was a defect. Nope the brand new out of the box Phantom did the same behavior - no real throttle up and in some cases not able to reverse deceleration. I did notice that on the IOSD stats the battery had gone from 12.2 volts when it started, down to 10.5v at about 50-60% life left. I think the P2 is heavier than my P2V+, so maybe it strains the batteries too much in addition to some firmware problems that DJI yet again has to fix. It's possible the batteries I have had this issue with are at the end of their life, so that could be part of it too.

All I know is I won't be recommending a P2 to any of my clients until I'm sure the problem is fixed. Without proper thrust, P2s are just falling debris waiting for the right situation to occur.

Seriously, does DJI EVER test anything they put out as a firmware update. That's more of a statement than a question because the answer can only be no.

I find it so enjoyable (sarcasm) risking people's safety, their property, my property and my reputation because DJI doesn't give a whit about what they put out. Here's an idea guys. Update the firmware - TAKE A PHANTOM OUT OF YOUR STOCK and fly the ****** thing for a day or three. Then when everything seems hunky dory, release the firmware to the general pop. I swear to God, every time I run a firmware update now, I feel like I just pulled the pin out of a live grenade and sat on it, praying it doesn't go off. You wankers at DJI are pissing off the exact group of people you don't want to (the consumer). More and more companies are gaining ground on you and so help me if this keeps up, I am dropping you like a hot rock to go with something else that flies my gopro as good or better than your 4 bladed flying death.

Yes, I'm aware that nobody has actually gotten killed by a Phantom, but c'mon it sounded cooler. :)

P2 pretty simple

3.02... last update before new flight characteristics
3.04... drastic reductions in tilt angle. went from like 35-40% to 20-25%.. or something to close to that.
3.06 the throttle is the same...

if you're lucky enough to be on 3.02 still then you're one of the lucky ones!!!
3.04 were all dead

Kelso Kubat said:
P2 pretty simple

3.02... last update before this had new flight characteristics
3.04... drastic reductions in tilt angle. went from like 35-40% to 20-25%.. or something to close to that.
3.06 the throttle is the same...

if you're lucky enough to be on 3.02 still then you're one of the lucky ones!!!
3.04 were all dead

Sooooo BAD. Flying expensive garbage now.

Kelso Kubat said:
Sooooo BAD. Flying expensive garbage now.

i agree. the agility of 3.02 will be missed. not to mention all the airport restrictions[/quote]

I don't mind the agility .. or even the airport restrictions . What is very bad is that release after release there are issues that causes fly aways and crashes ... then it's months before they put out a fix only to find another issue.

10.5v at 50% is a bad battery and will trigger auto land by design. Everyone else needs to remember to calibrate everything when loading new firmware. So far, I don't see anything indicating these issues are specific to 3.06.

I started this thread and have noted that I NO longer have any issues and am running 3.06, the last thing I did before resolution seemed to be rebinding the RC controller to the P2.

Caveat: I'm very new to this.

I had issues with my Zenmuse 3D Gimbal after 3.06 update, X1 was FUBAR - fixed that with RC and Phantom calibration after a load of messing. Today went to test fly and couldn't start the props. More messing around, calibrating blah blah then just happened to stumble across the check IMU calibration. Said it needed calibrating which I did. It now flies at least and X1 works well but I've not managed a proper test flight.

Have you done IMU calibration?

ddublu said:
Also, make sure you didn't switch from Mode 2 to Mode 1.......I did that and it did the exact same thing.

Mine is never preset to either Mode 1 or Mode 2... does it default to any particular mode? I never select one... :?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31