Three major Phantom Vision Pilot Types...

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
There are three major primary P2V owners.

Type 1)
The photographer who wants to expand his horizons and be able to shoot quality shots from the air.

Type 2)
The RC flier who loves the flight characteristics of the P2V and... It also shoots pictures!!!

Type3)
The TechnoGeek who loves all of the technology surrounding the P2V and works day and night to capture every bit and byte of any information pulled down from the Phantom's GPS module

If you consider every combination of the above primary three... it's pretty freakin' kewl to watch all of this go down.

Especially since I'm a lapsed photography student who still owns a "HoneyWell Pentax SpotMatic F" with a 1.4 lens, and an old RC pilot from back in the day, as well as a Network Manager.

If this ain't heaven, it's close enough to suit me...

Many cool peeps on this forum..

-slinger

Reactions: dirkclod
gunslinger said:
There are three major primary P2V owners.

Type 1)
The photographer who wants to expand his horizons and be able to shoot quality shots from the air.

Type 2)
The RC flier who loves the flight characteristics of the P2V and... It also shoots pictures!!!

Type3)
The TechnoGeek who loves all of the technology surrounding the P2V and works day and night to capture every bit and byte of any information pulled down from the Phantom's GPS module

If you consider every combination of the above primary three... it's pretty freakin' kewl to watch all of this go down.

Especially since I'm a lapsed photography student who still owns a "HoneyWell Pentax SpotMatic F" with a 1.4 lens, and an old RC pilot from back in the day, as well as a Network Manager.

If this ain't heaven, it's close enough to suit me...

Many cool peeps on this forum..

-slinger

+1

I fit in all 3 categories. I enjoy flying the Vision. I spent the entire time holding my breath while trying to hover my RC copter 20+ years ago hoping it would not crash and need 5-6 hours of repairs and rebalancing everything. Never got past hovering a few feet off the ground. I am completely relaxed flying the Vision and so far have never felt it was even close to crashing, always feels under perfect control. Pictures and video add to the fun and give a purpose to flying it. I'm amazed at the technology and add in editing and trying to get better pictures I am more than getting my money's worth of fun from the Vision. This forum also has added a lot of enjoyment to this hobby.

+1

I fit in all 3 categories. I enjoy flying the Vision. I spent the entire time holding my breath while trying to hover my RC copter 20+ years ago hoping it would not crash and need 5-6 hours of repairs and rebalancing everything. Never got past hovering a few feet off the ground. I am completely relaxed flying the Vision and so far have never felt it was even close to crashing, always feels under perfect control. Pictures and video add to the fun and give a purpose to flying it. I'm amazed at the technology and add in editing and trying to get better pictures I am more than getting my money's worth of fun from the Vision. This forum also has added a lot of enjoyment to this hobby.

Guy... very well said...

Ha ha funny.

I fits perfectly in 1 & 3 and I haven't even got mine yet (ordered one yesterday).

Yes, I fit in Type 1 and Type 3 also although I thought I was only Type 1. I've ordered the Flytrex module and can't wait to try Dashware overlays. I am really having trouble with my camera though. For video it's ok but for stills...first one was super soft on the R side and now the replacement is soft on the L. The guys at All e RC who sent me the replacement looked at my sample image and weren't able to see this but admit they aren't into photography. I never expected to become Type 2 as well - but it is just so fun to fly that I guess with more practice I'll be that too!

Very good Slinger

I am a 2 and 3

However I am finding myself more and more curious about photography these days !!!!!

It looks like the Vision has set me up on a new learning curve in life

Very good Slinger

I am a 2 and 3

However I am finding myself more and more curious about photography these days !!!!!

It looks like the Vision has set me up on a new learning curve in life

Good categorisation...

I'm a 1 and 3 .... I've always loved photography and still have a wet darkroom for my 5x4" view camera. I have had digital cameras since they first appeared (remember Sony Mavica?!!) and Photoshop since 1991...

I nearly got into RC a few times.. never quite made it - but we used to sit around chewing the fat and imagine devices like the phantom... Never had the time to actually build one from the ground up (ie building and coding the autopilot from scratch) though...

So -- the Phantoms are great fun to fly, photo with and modify! :)

There a little of all three in me, but if I had to pick one, It's number one. Pre-drone, I was a photography bug, and when I fly my P2V, I want to get great pictures, so I look for spots where I can get unique shots. (The attached photo is an example. A shot from 500 feet above my high school's football field.)

I'm 55, and since I can remember, I have loved anything sharp, shiny, noisy, or pointy. The P2V has a little of each of that!

Attachments

• RHS.jpg
    RHS.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 831
None of the above!

Just enjoy new technology and challanges-will use while Rock Crawlin(Jeep), ATVing and fishing Alaska this year. Next year who knows?

So which category does an ornery old, heathen biker with a penchant for photography (but no real knowledge or skill) and a knack for technology (crisco and microslut certified) that likes to play with advanced toys fit in?

I seem to lack a full measure, or even a modicum of the typical characteristics.

I think you also need to add 4th category: **** fools with too much money and not enough sense or common courtesy. (based on some of the vids, and endeavors shown here and elsewhere with these copters doing high altitude flights and all manner of unapproved FAA ****; I mean, hell, I lived the outlaw life, but there is a line I draw on endangering innocent lives)

Great thread, gunslinger. Strong type 1 and type 3 both here...can barely even remember my brief and ancient experience with RC flying, but this is scratching both my tech and photography itches quite well.

After thinking about this some, I realize that at least part of why I'm enjoying it so much is because I got bored building PC's on the side and needed something equally technical but more rewarding. I was very close to getting into robotics (or trying to and failing :lol: ) when I first discovered the Phantom.

This is definitely satisfying on a whole new level for me, and I haven't even scratched the surface yet with the full potential. And the bonus is that I now know exactly what I'm going to be doing when I retire ;)

Hiway said:
So which category does an ornery old, heathen biker with a penchant for photography (but no real knowledge or skill) and a knack for technology (crisco and microslut certified) that likes to play with advanced toys fit in?

I seem to lack a full measure, or even a modicum of the typical characteristics.

I think you also need to add 4th category: **** fools with too much money and not enough sense or common courtesy. (based on some of the vids, and endeavors shown here and elsewhere with these copters doing high altitude flights and all manner of unapproved FAA ****; I mean, hell, I lived the outlaw life, but there is a line I draw on endangering innocent lives)

Well if you've got "Crisco" and "Microtech Softnology" certs, I'd say you might fit in as a type 3. And you're right about their being a type 4, but I'm just doing my best to ignore that side of things. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I fit in

1: Photographer since I was 15 with a Pentax K1000. now have many DSLR (Canon 5D Mk2, 1Ds II and 1D III and a whack of lenses. 10+ years as a wedding photographer, do concerts, bands etc... Love it...

2: Used to fly RC helicopters a long time ago.... now totally into the multi rotors.

3: Unix Admin - Love the geek aspect to this... at work I have a micro I use to deliver sticky notes to my other cube dwelling misfit mates :) a few others are getting micros so soon it will be like an airport I am betting...

suggest adding a 4th type

the "this is total fun" - pilot type. for someone who is not a geek, not a photographer, and not an RC from back in the day... just someone who saw someone playing with one and decided that this was too cool to not have in his collection of "Man goodies" they approach things with open eyes and are fascinated by being able to launch and have fun with this new tech...

THell said:
suggest adding a 4th type

the "this is total fun" - pilot type. for someone who is not a geek, not a photographer, and not an RC from back in the day... just someone who saw someone playing with one and decided that this was too cool to not have in his collection of "Man goodies" they approach things with open eyes and are fascinated by being able to launch and have fun with this new tech...

Good point :)

I’m with you. This is one cool collection of photography and techno geek stuff coming together. I can remember thinking the convergence of photography and the digital dark room was awesome back in the 90s with the earliest Photoshop releases. Adding the flying camera to the mix that even a novice RC pilot like me can deal with is off the charts cool.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik