Thoughts on this stress crack ?

Reaction score
whats your thoughts on this crack ? Worth sending in for repair under warranty or just attach some arm reinforcements? It's the only arm with a crack.

Josh

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    759.1 KB · Views: 476
Hey there new to Phantoms but I have 20 years in RC aviation. If you aren't inclined to send it in , a small dab of epoxy on the inside to reinforce it wouldn't hurt.

Cheers, Joe

Reactions: Digdat0
Cracks should definitely be repaired. It's your choice if you repair it by yourself or send it in to DJI.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Keep an eye on it. It won't be the last crack you get. Do some epoxy work to help with propagation.
I have a new shell on hand for when the epoxy outweighs the motors.

The guys above are probably right but I can tell you I have flown with much worse damage and it was fine. I would just watch it hover for a few minutes and make sure it isnt vibrating. I often find motor screws coming loose after a while so every few weeks I check them and tighten them if needed. Personally I wouldn't worry about it but epoxy might be a good idea.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Of all the disasters we've read about in the past year I don't remember even one crash due to cracks.

Send it in. If you wait it may come down at some time and then not be under warranty. As stated, it probably won't be the last one. Good luck.

A couple points for the respondents, if you don't mind.

How does one know if some of the crashes are not due to cracks? ie it acted like a motor failure, could be a crack propegating...

People seem to be very comfortable with these cracks, and why? Your bird is broken but whatever, fly it anyway?

Is DJI not repairing these cracked units under warranty? What usually determines if DJI will repair under warranty?

Why do the shells keep cracking? I heard a couple months ago (DJI fanboys) that issue was OLD and has been resolved by DJI but I've read NUMEROUS posts on the subject with brand new Phantoms.

TIA

A couple points for the respondents, if you don't mind.

How does one know if some of the crashes are not due to cracks? ie it acted like a motor failure, could be a crack propegating...

People seem to be very comfortable with these cracks, and why? Your bird is broken but whatever, fly it anyway?

Is DJI not repairing these cracked units under warranty? What usually determines if DJI will repair under warranty?

Why do the shells keep cracking? I heard a couple months ago (DJI fanboys) that issue was OLD and has been resolved by DJI but I've read NUMEROUS posts on the subject with brand new Phantoms.

TIA
DJI doesn't have USA quality control. So whomever does their injection molding does inferior work and the plastic is brittle. I don't have any actual evidence of this but it seems obvious. Maybe they upgraded with the Phantom 4. I don't recall any 4s reporting cracks.

There very well could have been a crash due to a cracked motor mount but no one has posted it to my knowledge. We do mind however.

DJI doesn't have USA quality control. So whomever does their injection molding does inferior work and the plastic is brittle. I don't have any actual evidence of this but it seems obvious. Maybe they upgraded with the Phantom 4. I don't recall any 4s reporting cracks.

There very well could have been a crash due to a cracked motor mount but no one has posted it to my knowledge. We do mind however.
There are some P4's cracking now on side of motors.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20