Thoughts on this charger (for charging mulitple batteries)

Reaction score
Just saw this charger on Ebay (was actually looking at the charger, but noticed this one listed with the extra board to charge more than one battery at a time), and was wondering what your guys' thoughts are on this setup?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IMax-B6-L...d_Vision_Battery_Chargers&hash=item43ce2df44a

I thought I had read a long time ago that using these boards to charge multiple batteries at once isn't really a good idea. If so, why not?

Thanks

Re: Thoughts on this charger (for charging mulitple batterie

usually all them charge boards still can not charge the batterys any faster then the max charge rate of the power supply full out put divided by how ever many batterys you have going on the board at once.

so if the charger can only put out 4 or 5 amps its still going to take 3 times as long to charge 3 battery as it is to charge one.

Unless you use a power supply that can give enought amps to charge all 3 at there full rate that they can take.
and most dc battery supply's that plug in to any cigarette lighter cant draw to many amps or it will blow the fuse to the lighter socket. being most lighter sockets usually only have a 10 or 12 amp fuse in them.

You can even charge with one of them boards with out useing any power supply on it and just hook up to a big car battery and it will start to charge at the max amount that each battery can suck off the car battery BUT after a bit it will suck the car battery down below the 12.6 volts and then your battery's will not be able to go over what ever voltage your car battery is at.
so the charge will never finish. if its not a big enough battery to charge more then a few charges on the phantom batterys befor it starts to drop below 12.56 volts.

When I go camping I can charge one set of 3 battery's and they will charge in about an hour 15 minutes when hooked in to my small deep cycle battery in my camper. Then the next charges only get to about 75% and the I have to to either plug in to my campers battery bank and eat my power in the campers batterys or i have to fire up my generator and the campers battery charger to top off my battery's. or I have to plug in the 120v charger to my inverter and finish the top end of the charge.
which takes for ever being my stock ac charger takes 3 times as long to top off a charge on 3 battery's as it does to charge on. So really the only thing the board is good for them is I can plug all 3 in and dont have to keep checking if one is down to swap out the next on and then the next and I can just put them on and leave them till they are all done.

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense - and I agree that it'd be nice to just plug them in and not have to keep swapping them.

I was looking at this charger as it's pretty cheap and it has a discharge feature, but I might grab this particular one from Ebay to try out that board to charge multiple batteries at once. Hopefully it doesn't start a fire! haha

I sorry man I'm an idiot. just before I responded to this post i was looking at another post about the car cigarette lighter chargers for the phantom 2 style battery's. So when I was posting I thought you were asking about the charge boards for the smart battery's with a dc power source.

On the one you posted to I have herd some mixed reviews on them multi charge boards for regular lipps and there balance leads. . I have seen some reviews on some of the cheap crappy multi battery boards actually blowing up or smoking peoples battery's. But I have never used one of them boards on any of my regular 3 cell lipos BUT i have heard them IMax chargers are are an ok charger as far as a lipo charger goes. as long as its a real imax and not a knock off. But that board thats with it also seems to look a lot better then some of the ones I have seen.
tho the same princables apply for the time it will take to charge depends on what rate the battery's can take and how many amps the charger can put out divided by how ever many battery's you have hooked up. That i max can be set to put out between 1 to 5 amps So if charging 5 battery's it would only charge each one at 1 amp rate. But even with that with it being aalmost 2.5 hours to do five 2200mah batterys would still be fasted then charging then one by one on the stock dji charger.
and its nice that that charger works on ac or dc volts. and if you have it hooked to a car battery for you dc souce. they have tthere own dc to dc power supply in them and even if the car battery you are drawing off of gets lower then the voltage you need to charge your batterys it will still charge them being it can increase the dc voltage from the supply voltage.

I have a duramax dual charger that has ac or dc input to power the charger and its a nice feature for field charging when you are flying some place that you dont have ac power to plug in to.

No worries. Thanks again for all the info. I think I might grab it and give it a try. Worst case scenerio - I just use the charger and don't bother with the board.

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers