Thoughts on catching your phantom?

Good idea?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Ive watched several videos watching people catch their phantoms instead of landing them on the ground. Ive also watched people take off from holding it. What do you think about this? Have you done it?
Some examples:

Reactions: Ti22
I do it like this:

If you have to hand launch, always a bad idea. Hand catch....l have learned it. It could come in handy in a certain situation.
But really, learn to take off and land from the ground, it's a skill you want to know well. You will always have prop wash, cross wind etc.... you want to be able to deal with it.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Landing on the ground is not always possible. Proper hand catching is a valuable skill that everyone should learn to do properly.

Why? Good way to get a finger sliced.
tumblr_mq1vuvJjNB1sqbqaco1_250.gif
Just messing with ya LUIS ;)
I always hand catch mine . Got into the habit and is just normal to me .
Have never hand launched though .

Reactions: Fplvert
I Strongly disagree. Is not a stunt and is very safe if you just watch what you are doing .
That's why this is a great place ! We can agree to disagree :)

Reactions: 750r
Completely disagree. Hand launching and catching is even better than starting from the ground. Lately I have engaged with my phantom 2 in difficult terrain, mostly in ATTi mode. As long as you take some precautions this is even better. Start your motors over the head. Give some throttle to get the feeling that the phantom is reacting in a normal way, give strong throttle until you feel it's pulling your arm up and let go. I started from a moving boat, in the mountains, on a smooth reef of a small island, all hand started and hand catch. Always keep that thing higher then your head and nothing will happen. I even avoid doing calibration. It's useless, if you phantom is not giving you some strange signs. I avoid gps now if I can. I love atti and still running on 3.08 software version. There is really no need to be always updated. Just make sure your rc is always well charged, and that you are flying where you got a good view of the area, By the way I only fly on line of sight (max 170 meters or 500 feet) away.
Here is an example of a video all in atti hand start and catch (still have all my 10 fingers)

Strongly disagree. It's a stunt and a dangerous one to show others watching, give them ideas.
I hand catch when I have to (which isn't often). It takes no skill to hand catch beyond simple hand and eye coordination. It does take skill to land in some conditions, and every pilot should know how to land his/her craft.
There is nothing wrong with knowing how to do both, IMO

(And I don't mind debating this topic every few months either!)

OH
Completely disagree. Hand launching and catching is even better than starting from the ground. Lately I have engaged with my phantom 2 in difficult terrain, mostly in ATTi mode. As long as you take some precautions this is even better. Start your motors over the head. Give some throttle to get the feeling that the phantom is reacting in a normal way, give strong throttle until you feel it's pulling your arm up and let go. I started from a moving boat, in the mountains, on a smooth reef of a small island, all hand started and hand catch. Always keep that thing higher then your head and nothing will happen. I even avoid doing calibration. It's useless, if you phantom is not giving you some strange signs. I avoid gps now if I can. I love atti and still running on 3.08 software version. There is really no need to be always updated. Just make sure your rc is always well charged, and that you are flying where you got a good view of the area, By the way I only fly on line of sight (max 170 meters or 500 feet) away.
Here is an example of a video all in atti hand start and catch (still have all my 10 fingers)
You sandbagger. You were just looking for an excuse to brag on your videos...BTW, they are beautiful.

I do both I catch the P2 all the time hand launch some times . P1 I'll do both all on where I'm at . :D

Reactions: dirkclod
Needed another choice..................... don't care! I've never tried it, I can land my bird soft as a feather. But I can understand the reasons for it. I may try it once just to say I've done it. :D

Reactions: 750r
I usually launch from my case or backpack and hand catch the bird. Why? This routine keeps debris out of the motors as well as preventing tip overs. I'm still on my first set of stock P3 propellers, four months and counting.:cool:

Reactions: Ti22 and dirkclod
Thanks for all the input. Just tried catching it. I still have all my fingers! It was a success, twice! This will be my method of landing at the beach.

Never hand launched. Alway hand catch to land. I won't do it any other way if I can avoid it. To me it's safe and ensures my P3 won't tip over for any reason. But yes, it needs to be done correctly in order to be safe.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4