This just in from AMA.

Reaction score
Dear Members,

As you know, we have been working with our legal counsel and the FAA to find a solution for our members on the registration rule. To date, FAA has agreed in principle to several proposed initiatives that will help ease this process for our members. Specifically, they are:

AMA and the FAA are working to streamline the registration process for AMA members whereby those who register with the FAA will be able to use their AMA number as the primary identification on their model aircraft, as opposed to adding a new federal registration number.

In addition, AMA members' federal registration will automatically renew provided membership remains active and current. We are working with FAA in negotiating the renewal fee, but in any case it is envisioned the renewal process will be provided as a member benefit.

In the future, federal registration will automatically be accomplished upon joining the AMA, eliminating the need to register with both AMA and the FAA.
These initiatives are a step in the right direction. However, we want to emphasize that this is not the end of our efforts to protect AMA members from this overreaching regulation. We are continuing to explore all legal and political options available, but these conversations may take time and a definitive solution is unlikely before the February 19 registration deadline.

Currently, registration is free of charge until January 19. If you would like to take advantage of this free period, you may want to register before that day. But please note that you have until February 19 to register in order to avoid violating the federal rule.

We also want to encourage our members to submit comments to the FAA about the registration rule. It is critical that all AMA members are heard loud and clear on this issue. The deadline for submitting comments is Friday, January 15. Additional instruction is available here.

Thank you for your patience as we work to find the best path forward on registration. We are committed to doing everything possible to protect our hobby and ensure that future generations have the opportunity to fly.

Sincerely,

AMA

spacer
[emoji767] 2016 Academy of Model Aeronautics.

see i told everybody that ama could not stop this registation.
guess i was right huh?

Ok so the Ama just announced that they didn't accomplish any thing other than if your a ama member you can keep your ama number.

They took this one up the a$$

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well now I see it as why join the Ama if you join the FAA no need as you a registered pilot now with the faa they gave a app telling you where you can or can not fly so technically I can fly any where with in the FAA guidelines. so in less it's a no fly zone. I can fly at or over Ama flying clubs as long as it isn't posted you must be a member but most ama clubs are on town leased land that they don't own hmm thanks ama

do i feel smoke blowing up my a##?
ama strikes again.
all this for 75.00 a year?

I just don't get how they didn't even try to file suit against this... Mind blown

What a useless, useless organization. At least your AMA dues will be going up slightly to cover the federal registration in the future.

Reactions: Bryonheath
Yeah, unless I see some real progress in the AMA militating for the hobby, I will let my membership lapse and just pay my $5 to the Feds every 3 years. I really can't see funding an organization that is unwilling to "go to the mat" for its members.

What a useless, useless organization. At least your AMA dues will be going up slightly to cover the federal registration in the future.
Haha of course it will the Ama won't ever see a cent from me again

Okay. So the only reason to join the AMA now is to spend time at flying fields with angry old guys who hate drones.

No thank you.

I will allow my membership to lapse and just pay the $5 every three years...of course, it's more like $5 for six years because of the whole refund thing for registering early.

Okay. So the only reason to join the AMA now is to spend time at flying fields with angry old guys who hate drones.

No thank you.

I will allow my membership to lapse and just pay the $5 every three years...of course, it's more like $5 for six years because of the whole refund thing for registering early.
you can fly at the ama fields as long as you notify any airports with in 5 miles and pending the property your at does not have trespassing signs posted I'm gonna lol. we should send the ama hemroid pillows to there hq so they can sit back down cause I'm shure there a$$ still hurts from the FAA

Tuesday, January 19, 2016
AMA Today: AMA members should register with FAA

Members required to register with FAA

AMA members are now required by regulation to register their aircraft with the FAA to avoid federal enforcement and potential penalties. All Radio Control modelers must register aircraft weighing greater than 0.55 pounds online no later than February 19, 2016. The registration fee is $5. However, FAA is offering free registration when registering on or before midnight EST on January 21. Online registration can be accomplished on the FAA webpage at, RegisterMyUAS.faa.gov . Several AMA staff members and AMA leaders have been working with legal counsel and the FAA to find a solution for our members on the registration rule. To date, FAA has agreed in principle to several proposed initiatives that will help ease this process for our members in the future. Visit
modelaircraft.org/gov to learn more.

THANKS AMA, Sorry but my dues for next year will not be sent..........lol

Tuesday, January 19, 2016
AMA Today: AMA members should register with FAA

Members required to register with FAA

AMA members are now required by regulation to register their aircraft with the FAA to avoid federal enforcement and potential penalties. All Radio Control modelers must register aircraft weighing greater than 0.55 pounds online no later than February 19, 2016. The registration fee is $5. However, FAA is offering free registration when registering on or before midnight EST on January 21. Online registration can be accomplished on the FAA webpage at, RegisterMyUAS.faa.gov . Several AMA staff members and AMA leaders have been working with legal counsel and the FAA to find a solution for our members on the registration rule. To date, FAA has agreed in principle to several proposed initiatives that will help ease this process for our members in the future. Visit
modelaircraft.org/gov to learn more.

THANKS AMA, Sorry but my dues for next year will not be sent..........lol
I to will not be sending dues in this year or future years

And I was contemplating getting an AMA membership for the insurance and possible perks along wtih it but now I'm kinda changing my mind. There is an RC club in my area which requires yearly membership on top of the AMA yearly membership on top of the FAA 3 year renewal. But I figure I'll probably end up flying in open fields and/or parks 99% of the time anyway.

And I was contemplating getting an AMA membership for the insurance and possible perks along wtih it but now I'm kinda changing my mind. There is an RC club in my area which requires yearly membership on top of the AMA yearly membership on top of the FAA 3 year renewal. But I figure I'll probably end up flying in open fields and/or parks 99% of the time anyway.
I'm the same way 2 years worth of member ships can buy you a nice toy keep your money

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1