This is the best GoPro 3 frame

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIEpfD5ladE

I am getting the above frame.

The best feature of this frame is it's better then the GoPro frame that come with the Phantom.

Lots of people seem to use the GoPro 3 outer casing, which looks good, less Jello, and protects the Phantom, but one big drawback, it adds a lot of weight to the Phantom.

More weight means more wear and tear on the Phantom, less stable descending, less flight time and does not fly as smoothly.

I go the other way and the lighter you can make your Phantom the better, so this frame is ideal and maybe as light, if not lighter then the Frame that comes with the Phantom. It is certainly better.

Seems many here are going for more weight, but less weight is best as far as I am concerned. I find descending, with the Phantom GoPro Frame that comes with the Phantom, you get a far more stable Phantom, so the above frame should be even better.

I don't like using the GoPro 3 outer casing, descending you tend to get a lot more wobbling.

I have even seen some use those stick pads, but I don't trust them as they eventually come unstuck, and would hate the camera to fall off in midair.

I think its a matter of personal requirements. I very nearly bourght 'The Frame' (as GoPro seem to call it) but then they released the external skeleton housing for the Hero3. The main reason I wanted 'The Frame' was to be able to do time lapse or in car video with the power supply connected and the waterproof housing restricted that.
I chose the skeleton housing over 'The Frame' simply because it protects the lense but then I use it on the front of my Impreza just as much as on the Phantom (and trust me you don't want the lens exposed on the front of an Impreza!).

What kills me is the price though.... in the UK companies that trade mostly in the USA seem to just take the dollar symbol, change it to a pond sign and forget the 1.5 exchange rate. The result is that the solid, robust skeleton housing is £49.99 ($75) and for the lightweight plastic 'The Frame' is a whopping £39.99 ($60) in comparison. Plus £12 ($18) shipping from Holland. Sure you get 2 versions in differing width but that is way too expensive for what it is.... then again lets face it all GoPro accessories are especially if you buy in the UK lol

Regards to Phantom flight though I do agree that the weight of 'The Frame' would be much more preferable to the Skeleton housing (especially when you add GTU10 weight and later on FPV and/or gimbal). That said with the solid Skeleton housing I get a lot less Jello on the standard mount which I think could be down to the solidity.

All I'd say is if you are going to get a gimbal ever then you can use either option so best save the money for that :lol:

GOPRO The Frame

I'm flying with Skeleton case, and I completely get rid of JELLO effect (with antivibr. dumper), even at the cost of higher weight.
I would be interested but tests of "GOPRO The Frame", because on the gimbal used Sketeleon not.
How much does he weigh?

Re: GOPRO The Frame

gardenroute said:
I'm flying with Skeleton case, and I completely get rid of JELLO effect (with antivibr. dumper), even at the cost of higher weight.
I would be interested but tests of "GOPRO The Frame", because on the gimbal used Sketeleon not.
How much does he weigh?

If I use the GoPro 3 full protective case, get that little jello, don't need a damper, just adding extra weight to the Phantom, if I can do without it. With the GoPro 2 mount that comes with the Phantom, using the GoPro 3, get some jello, but feel anti jello system not needed.

Waiting on the GoPro3 frame, so will be good how it compares. It may well be as light, or slightly less than the Frame that comes with the Phantom.

If I can and do get very little Jello. I don't see the need for an anti Jello system, works fine enough without one, but some Phantoms are much worse than others. Must have a good one, as I don't get a lot of Jello at all. It is there slightly, but not in a distracting way.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj