This is something DJI needs to work on

Reaction score
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZZFQEV0H7Q[/youtube]

Pilot isn't aware that high voltage power lines are not a good place around.
As he soon finds out, they play havoc with the signals and the bird flys away.
Within a couple of minutes the bird crashes and it's almost immediately found by a kid.
As soon as he picks it up,he finds out the power to the motors is still ON!
DJI needs to build into their software automatic shutoff.
As someone who is not familiar with these birds, will find out the hard way that those blades are dangerous and will cut through skin a heartbeat causing serious injury.

I love how they were trying to set it free by throwing it up in the air. Yes those props can do some damage. Thankfully they were not CF props.

Ha! That was funny!
Phantoms seem to be way durable... after the crash and all that "powerless flight" time....

They just wanted it to fly.

ianwood said:
How is it supposed to know when to shut off?

A 'G' or two, or ???, impact as measured by the IMU,
If has ever been inverted but not currently flying.

For example.

N017RW said:
ianwood said:
How is it supposed to know when to shut off?

A 'G' or two, or ???, impact as measured by the IMU,
If has ever been inverted but not currently flying.

For example.

The accelerometer is probably +/-2g. A tap to the landing gear can easily hit >2g. Shutting off upon inversion would be similarly bad.

I'm no guru on the electronics, but I can assume that one of the sensors should be able to note that there is no motion of the craft in any direct, ergo, shut the **** motors off.
If ground station can show you that the bird is upside down, then that in itself should be a major clue as to why it should shut down.

Suwaneeguy said:
I'm no guru on the electronics, but I can assume that one of the sensors should be able to note that there is no motion of the craft in any direct, ergo, shut the **** motors off.

As soon as the wind stops blowing, your Phantom could shut off and tumble to the ground. The Phantom has very limited knowledge of when it is not airborne. Not saying it isn't possible but it would be complicated and error prone.

Does nobody teach children they shouldn't pick things up that doesn't belong to them? - PAH !

That Mother needs parenting skills lessons!

That kid seems like he should be lucky that man kind does all it does already to prevent Darwinism from taking its natural course.

But hey did any one else catch the rocket or what ever it was that streaks by over the girls head in the sky really fast right at the 14:52 mark in the video ?

Yikes. That intro with the sudden camera changes is straight out of a horror movie. Has anyone else actually experienced such things near power lines?

And he got lucky not once, but twice on not getting it tangled up - first on the 'big' lines going out, and then again in the neighborhood on the way down.

The Editor said:
Does nobody teach children they shouldn't pick things up that doesn't belong to them? - PAH !

Probably because thats what kids do. how did he have sound?

ccase39 said:
The Editor said:

probably a gopro and not a V+

The mom did tell him to put it down a few times.

Tho ya kids do tend to pick up things.

And thats exactly why the us and Israels cluster bomblets are bright orange. So that when any of the unexploded ones land on the ground is seen by curious children that go and pick up the orange balls on the ground and blow them selves up when playing with them.

ianwood said:
Suwaneeguy said:

As soon as the wind stops blowing, your Phantom could shut off and tumble to the ground. The Phantom has very limited knowledge of when it is not airborne. Not saying it isn't possible but it would be complicated and error prone.

Ian... I'm a bit confused. When landing and holding the left stick down for three seconds after vertical movement has ceased... the motors shut down. Couldn't a similar algorithm be configured???

-slinger

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31