This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

Reaction score
Sup flyers! Been flying the p3a/p's for a while & i currently still fly the p2,vision,&vision plus running distance. Until now i havent got the chance to try p3's lil brother, the standard! Well a forum member here helped me complete my fleet(thanks Caleb!)
I took the first flight tonight and what_a_blast! And what a challenge this little guys gonna be.
My first flight tonight after the remote charged up was in the dark, stock everything,crude aiming and i was still able to ring 5800' out of it. Not bad! I cant wait to run this thing stock for a couple days then throw the "works" on it.

Side note: i like to stay on the FW that works for me, and this one flight it seemed solid but its on 1.4.50 . Can you "standard" guys shed some light on whether thats worth staying on or just go ahead and toss in the latest FW. Cant wait to post the standard section with ya!

Reactions: dirkclod
DB (there are at least two DBs on this site), let me ask a question. I know you use Flytrex. But how many flytrex 3G's do you have? Do you hot swap them? How does that work? Thanks

Can't wait ta see what you can do with it db and I would stay where I was at on the FW . I did update to 1.3.50
and really not have had any issues I have been reading where this latest has cut back on distance .
I won't update to it till it just won't fly if I don't .JMO

Reactions: dirtybum
DB (there are at least two DBs on this site), let me ask a question. I know you use Flytrex. But how many flytrex 3G's do you have? Do you hot swap them? How does that work? Thanks
Love flytrex!!!!
Cant stand flying w/out it! I've went down dozens off times,most auto/emergency landing 2000' short of home, some crashing hard,the only (2) a/c i didnt get back didnt have flytrex!
Any given week i'm distance running 2-3 birds so yes i currently have (3) units to my account. On the a/c thats in the hanger waiting their turn i install the canbus plugs so there's no soldering need for a quick switch, just some new double tape and a bird switch in the account settings
And i'm off. Yeah the "standard is the only dji that doesnt accept flytrex. Unfortunatly flytrex has no plans to add it either. So that is a weird uncomfortable feeling for me to fly w/out!

Reactions: Mark The Droner
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458452790.645640.jpg

Tried 3 more flights stock everything, 5000' aver. W/ the best being 6900'
Thats prob bout the best i'm gonna get stock ( remembering back to my stock p2v+ days in this area) so i'm ready and moving on to DBS

Got a chance to do one flight with the stock standard and the DBS panel. This was at night, crude aiming, just flying straight out until I lost reception to give me an idea of what kind of distance this DBS panel can do with stock bird. I picked an area two minutes walking from my house not my normal flight path so I wasn't expecting too much, surprisingly,it went over 16,000 feet before return to home set in, it had great signal up until then and then just dropped off sharp. I was impressed because this DBS panel on a stock phantom vision plus would've not of resulted in 16,000 feet. So in the daylight, with my remote on tripod, and up on my hill on my good flight path I expect 25,000 feet out of this unboosted which to me is **** impressive for Wi-Fi!
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458570411.227532.jpg

I want to add about "stock bird" ,
I did have the horizon v-3 bat mod hooked up to this for those of you that look at the flight times/mins. In the pic and say "WTF somethin aint rite"! ( i was testing the compatibility/performance of the v-3 mod with the p3S. No antenna mods on bird (YET)!

Last edited:
No antennas on bird is what impresses me with this flight db but have always known wi-fi could do it . Good job !!
Where I fly with the external's on the bird the best I got before I stopped trying was 16,049' .
Will be interesting to see what you can get with them plus the battery mod .
I will be trying the 4K next then on to the racing quads for me ;)
I believe what tickles me the most is how the Standard is ..in distance and with wi-fi ...out doing so many of the Lightbridge's .
With all the ones knocking this bird I just love it :)
Might not have all the features but still .
Great test and will be tuned in :)

I agree with you 100% big D about this model being underrated! I currently fly all models of the phantom except 1 and 4, and this one is definitely the best for price=function. The difference in the Standard to its comparable p2v+ is night/day! The p3s is lightyears(not lightbridge) ahead!
With the p2v+ stock bird w/controller mods you would be lucky to hit a 5000-7000ft.
This little brother of the p3 is great and i plan to check its performance in different stages from here. Next is:
(1) stock bird w/ DBS on tripod (way better aiming)
(2) stock bird w/dbs boosted 5.8 & 2.4
(3) birdside mods w/ fpvlr dipoles 5.8 & 2.4 w/ DBS antenna UNboosted
(4) birdside mods fpvlr 5.8 & 2.4 dipoles w/ DBS boosted antennas.

If you guys dont mind i'll be posting the results here as i go.
I have lots of other mods, models, & tests going so this p3S is/was not priority but that might change because i'm fallin in love this little thang![emoji41]

Got a chance to carry out a few more flights in part (1) of the tests!
Stock bird, DBS panel on tripod.
Four different flights and I never was able to get as far as that first flight with DBS unboosted. The numbers were 9000', 15,400, 8200, and 13,500.
With no upgraded antennas on the bird side, nobody should be disappointed with those kind of numbers.
That being said I think it's time to go to part two, stock bird, DBS panel(boosted)

One flight tonight(part 2) stock bird, DBS boosted
21500, then lost signal. This wasnt my favorite flight path and winds switched so im glad i made it back. Could only get bout 23 mph on return trip.
Prob should of waited for nicer nite but i was anxious to try it out.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458970455.590729.jpg

This a great thread and I truly enjoy seeing your results. I may be misreading the data on the last post, but it appears that you went 21562ft distance away from your home point? That equals just under 4 miles, and given a speed of just under 35mph it seems that getting to that distance would take somewhere around 7 minutes I think (give or take). The total flight time looks to be 1minute and 12 seconds though? The total flight distance is 3461.ft which is way less thanI would think it would be.

I'm fairly new to this and admittedly not great at math, but the picture doesn't make a lot of sense to me and I'd like to understand more.

Thanks!

I'm new to the standard, Propagandy, but not new to flying the P2's & P3's long-distance. 21,500 feet is how far I made it last night from home point. Unfortunately with the standard because of Wi-Fi breaking up my DJI flight logs are broken into four trips. The first log shows the first 18,000 feet and then my signal dropped but I was able to keep going, then my next log that one that you're seeing goes a few more thousand feet, at which point I lost signal. The go app reconnected while i was returning home about 18,000 feet away from home point. So unlike Flytrx which I use for all my other flights, the DJI log is not the most accurate way to keep track.but it gives you an idea and a little bit of proof

Last edited:
Go app does have it's moments that's for sure and have seen that with some of my flights .
Only problem I have with your test db is I see now I should have done more testing with mine before I added the birdsides .
I really didn't think at the time the stock ones where that good .
See what ya did :)

You can fly out 6+ miles w/ 2 bars, it seems like it drains faster when its out that far though. If you ru outta juice, rth will take over

Got a chance to do one flight with the stock standard and the DBS panel. This was at night, crude aiming, just flying straight out until I lost reception to give me an idea of what kind of distance this DBS panel can do with stock bird. I picked an area two minutes walking from my house not my normal flight path so I wasn't expecting too much, surprisingly,it went over 16,000 feet before return to home set in, it had great signal up until then and then just dropped off sharp. I was impressed because this DBS panel on a stock phantom vision plus would've not of resulted in 16,000 feet. So in the daylight, with my remote on tripod, and up on my hill on my good flight path I expect 25,000 feet out of this unboosted which to me is **** impressive for Wi-Fi!View attachment 47991
I want to add about "stock bird" ,
I did have the horizon v-3 bat mod hooked up to this for those of you that look at the flight times/mins. In the pic and say "WTF somethin aint rite"! ( i was testing the compatibility/performance of the v-3 mod with the p3S. No antenna mods on bird (YET)!

Hey there! Impressive results, thanks for sharing!
Can i ask you a question about this v-3 bat mod?
I was looking at the Horizon website here,
http://horizonfpvantennas.us/product/phantom-3-power-mod-v3/
Do you really have to send them 2 DJI batts and they break one of em apart and use it for the extra batt cells?
Is that how you did yours? Or can they just mod one battery and i can find another option for the extra LiPos?
I see they also have this UAV power mod: Phantom P3 UAV Power Mod V3 - Midwest Horizon FPV Antennas
but looks like they want you to send your bird in?
im just trying to figure this stuff out here. never done any battery mods so i dont have much experience with this..
If you can shed some light , that would be great, Thanks!!!

Reactions: ciro italy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.