This forum is scary

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info you all provide. I have been reading, studying, watching all I can before pulling the trigger on the v3.0. The number of crashes, issues etc is scary though. Hoping people are more likely to post the bad over the good. I guess I'm looking for affirmation that I won't regret the investment into this cool new way to view the world.

Anybody have regrets? DJI still the best in your view?
Thanks. Keep posting learning a lot.

I am going out on a limb to say that I think the Phantom Vision 2 (ya, I know) is a real value. Features, built in camera, flight time, I love mine for $759.00 delivered.

It flies great, seems smart enough to come home when asked, does video and stills with the camera supplied, I have done no mods other than enabling features (NAZA) that it was born with, and other than a range improvement mod, I think I can be happy with it..... Ask me in a few more weeks though.

I would say its safe to say the bird is a good design, for the most part. There isn't a lot of competition out there that gives you all the features that the Phantom has. The Blade product line is a reasonable option but I don't think it can compare feature for feature with the Phantom. That's why I bought a Phantom. That said, DJI's support sucks the big one. If they don't get their act together, there will be competition.

Very few people post on forums to say that the product works just fine with no problems, but the minute it goes wrong they rush to publish.
My PV2+ has worked fine, no fly aways crashes etc. you just need to do a set routine before flying,main ones being are there enough satellites for GPS to set the home point,compass calibration,switches in correct position, is it safe to fly from a people,animal safety perspective , anybody else flying nearby.

I've had about 6 flights with my V3 as well. No issues to speak of. If you read a lot of issues are caused by people modifying there phantom in some ways. I think if you keep it bone stock, perform the necessary calibrations and updates, go through the proper checklist before flight and keep your flights to 15 mins or so you will likely be fine. Like said on the forum, you tend to only here the bad reports or issues about the V3, I am sure there are many people flying with little or no issues. Most issues are caused by some human input, either modifications, or user error. You see a lot of the issues appear to be related to overheating ESCs. This can be caused by small wire gauge and too much juice. I know from my heli days I use to run 10 gauge wire to mine. It seems that the phantom V3 is a lot less likely 16. However the draw is huge, to be on the safeside and reduce heating of these boards, I'm just choosing to reduce my flight time by about 15% Also allow a cool down time between flights of 10-15 mins. Not sure this will help, but certainly won't hurt. Like you all this talk about V3's falling from the sky is pretty scary. However when I read into them it seems like Mods and pilot error could contribute to likely 95% of them.

wetauser said:
Very few people post on forums to say that the product works just fine with no problems, but the minute it goes wrong they rush to publish.
My PV2+ has worked fine, no fly aways crashes etc. you just need to do a set routine before flying,main ones being are there enough satellites for GPS to set the home point,compass calibration,switches in correct position, is it safe to fly from a people,animal safety perspective , anybody else flying nearby.

Excellent point. Forum members or guests come here and read about mostly negative issues with the Phantom 2 V+. You have to remember that DJI sells tens of thousands of these, at a minimum. If you count the total number of "flyaways" and other problems that are made public on this and other forums, it is a very small percentage compared to the big picture. I've had a couple problems with my quad, but I don't come on the forum immediately and start whining and crying about DJI and their products. Try to keep the negative comments in perspective.

I made the leap last night. Just under the wire for the "Christmas deals". Vision+ V3.0 with 3 batteries...$1,369 Uavdirect.com
Looking forward joining your ranks.

Grizsteve said:

Every time I bring my bird home safe and sound I'm super happy with my choice. When I crash and burn I kick myself in the *** for being so stupid to get into this expensive hobby at all. In the end, I don't regret it. Better to have flown and crashed than never to have flown at all.

As for DJI...

DJI - the product - is fantastic. Best toy in the house for sure. Oh sure they have design flaws and weak points and defects. All products do. Remember this is essentially cheap plastic junk from China. A real well built drone that didn't explode on impact would probably cost 100X what these things cost.

DJI - the company - is horrible. They will leave you hanging. Service, support, warranty all horrible.

If there was a close 2nd in terms of product I'd go that way. Unfortunately it will be a year or so before there are better products from a better company.

Expensive Hobby... try RC helicopters.. The reality is these fly pretty well for the money and yes they are made in China. Most of my electric RC helicopters (made by Align) were from Taiwan and the quality was 100X what the phantom was. Plus you could easily customize with other electronics (motors, escs gyros etc.) You weren't forced to use the Align Brand even though their stuff was good. All in all I think the phantom is OK, but for $1000-$1300 RTF with 2 batteries, camera capable of FPV and video, it is hard to beat.

In my Align TREX 450 - I had well over $1000 in the copter, then I had to buy lipos, charger, TX etc. Every crash cost me between $25-$50 in parts at a minimum plus countless hours getting back together. However, I enjoyed the rebuild aspect, you really got to know how things worked. Don't ask about the TREX 600.....It was scary exp.....

However the copters never flew away nor had GPS or cameras. But they did fly upside down and go scary fast.

Agreed about the Align quality.

Too bad their so late in the multi-rotor scene.

I still hope their recent entries are a good and sustained one as I imagine that's where I'll go next if worthy.

Regardless, the P2 is my first/last DJI RTF.

I have to agree with many replies as to not having issues, why come to a forum without any. Many come to the forum without issues, you've learned what can go wrong, you've made a big investment. I lost video wifi connection within a month of purchase, my PP forum membership began then.

I truly hope your experiences are as they are currently. To answer the OP questions, "Anybody have regrets? DJI still the best in your view?". My only regret is that I didn't want a new part time job as a technician. Lesson learned, will help me in the future. With mfg issues aside, you're going to crash one day if you push hard enough. I do think the DJI Phantom 2 is the best offering to date in the market and for my intended purposes - flight training and to learn of shortcomings from the technology and/or designs. My next UAV venture will be with a broader perspective. As they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained....

Good Luck!

If you have a V3.....please do not fly it until a cure can be put in place. I'm sure they will be good new soon.

So today I had my first crash (after 2 weeks, and quite a few flights). It was totally, completely my own, stupid fault. There wasn't a hint of any kind of software glitch, etc. Just pilot error.

I'll be sending the bird off for repair next week after the holidays here.

I've loved the Phantom since I first flew it. Follow all the advice further up the thread (ie. mainly keep it stock for as long as you can, and make sure you do proper pre-flight checks).

Absolutely no regrets in buying this thing - it's a ton of fun!

flyNfrank said:
If you have a V3.....please do not fly it until a cure can be put in place
A cure for what?

msinger said:
flyNfrank said:
If you have a V3.....please do not fly it until a cure can be put in place
A cure for what?

V3's that drop from the sky.

I've had mine for about 3 weeks, 10 - 15 flights and so far it's flown perfectly. The only problem I have is I read to many forums and I'm too scared my $1300 quad is either going to fly away and never be seen or drop out of the sky. I have a Phantom 1 and a F550 and have never had a problem with either one of those that wasn't my fault. I think I have Forum Phobia.

Grizsteve said:
I've enjoyed building, flying, modifying and occasionally crashing various quads, a hex and an octo copter for the past three years. Since I bought my Phantom 2 NV I have been enjoying flying. Not one regret.

On DJI - look, they have sold hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions of Phantoms around the world. Why would anyone expect to receive individual attention?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj