This can't be right ... P4 firmware complexity

Reaction score
A thread on the DJI forum has an impressively complicated method for updating the firmware on P4s, worse, IMHO than the convoluted silliness that is the P3 method (really guys, it's 2016, not 1997).

This can't be right?

A thread on the DJI forum has an impressively complicated method for updating the firmware on P4s, worse, IMHO than the convoluted silliness that is the P3 method (really guys, it's 2016, not 1997).

This can't be right?

It's not complicated. I did an upgrade to my newly arrived P4 yesterday via my iPad. Starting with the tablet connected to the controller, and the controller and aircraft powered on, 'clicking' the upgrade request in ;DJI-Go' starts the tablet downloading the new firmware. When that is done, it askes you to unplug the tablet's USB cable from the controller and reconnect it to the aircraft using the supplied USB to micro-USB adaptor. When this is done and the Go app 'sees' the aircraft connected by USB, it starts the firmware upgrade, with a progress bar. When all done, reconnect the tablet to the controller, re-boot the controller and aircraft, and all is done.

David

Reactions: Richard in ky
Definitely no "complicated" at all. I updated my P4 yesterday as well. It was much faster and sure beat the old P3 method. I prefer the new startup sound, although it would be nicer if it were a bit quieter.

It's not complicated. I did an upgrade to my newly arrived P4 yesterday via my iPad. Starting with the tablet connected to the controller, and the controller and aircraft powered on, 'clicking' the upgrade request in ;DJI-Go' starts the tablet downloading the new firmware. When that is done, it askes you to unplug the tablet's USB cable from the controller and reconnect it to the aircraft using the supplied USB to micro-USB adaptor. When this is done and the Go app 'sees' the aircraft connected by USB, it starts the firmware upgrade, with a progress bar. When all done, reconnect the tablet to the controller, re-boot the controller and aircraft, and all is done.

David

If you think it's 'not complicated' - just watch that thread. No, it's not rocket science. It's nothing that anyone who hangs around here hasn't done. But most P4 users are not going to be technically proficient. It is really a pretty impressive user interface failure. I expected DJI to come up to the bar a bit more.

If you lack the "proficiency" to plug in a cable and hit an "update" button, you really shouldn't be flying an expensive toy.

David

Sounds easy to me! In short, seems to simply be a matter of starting things up as normal, downloading the update, plugging your mobile device into the aircraft, installing, then cycling the on-off switch on controller and aircraft. Easy!

Only way they could of made it any easier is to have the update be wireless, which I guess they figure is too much of a risk. Possibly corrupting the firmware if signal is lost during transfer/installation.

I updated mine an hour ago. Turned everything on and received the alert that I needed a firmware update. I downloaded the update through the GO app but once it was finished it didn't prompt me to do anything. I unplugged my iPhone from the RC, plugged it into the P4 and then it prompted me to update again. Went smooth after that.

This is my first drone. While it wasn't overly complicated it would have been were it not for the forum here.

I updated mine an hour ago. Turned everything on and received the alert that I needed a firmware update. I downloaded the update through the GO app but once it was finished it didn't prompt me to do anything. I unplugged my iPhone from the RC, plugged it into the P4 and then it prompted me to update again. Went smooth after that.

This is my first drone. While it wasn't overly complicated it would have been were it not for the forum here.

Does it not say how to do it in the manual? Curious (I don't have my P4 yet).

This is what the manual says about it:

Use Micro SD card to update the aircraft and Intelligent Flight Battery. Connect to the Internet, launch the DJI GO app. The DJI GO app will start checking for available firmware updates automatically. Follow the on-screen instruction to update the latest rmware for the aircraft, remote controller and intelligent ight battery.

This is what the manual says about it:

Use Micro SD card to update the aircraft and Intelligent Flight Battery. Connect to the Internet, launch the DJI GO app. The DJI GO app will start checking for available firmware updates automatically. Follow the on-screen instruction to update the latest rmware for the aircraft, remote controller and intelligent ight battery.

Yeah that could be a bit more informative, definitely, especially since you said it was missing the on-screen instructions telling you to plug your mobile device into the aircraft.

I cant get the p4 to update the firmware. Im able to download to the ipad air and it says the fimware is ready for down load. When I attach the usb cable with the short adapter it does not connect. Tried to updated the firmware from my pc laptop using the dji assist2 program and it opens the program and when I log on to my account, it just sits there. Any suggestions. I was able to uprade the radio no problem.

Last edited:
Exchanged my ps 4 today at the apple store. No problems. Was asked a couple questions what was wrong... was in and out in minutes. Got it home and everthing updated. I was right, the usb port was bad on the P4. Soo glad I bought it at the local apple store....saved me time shipping it back to DJI! Updating the p4 now. Everything i working...eehhaa

David

I did a silly thing and didn't fully read the 'swipe to upgrade' I saw appear after I connected my P-4 for the first time. After it said upgrade successful I just continued using the go app for my set up etc before turning both the RC and aircraft off. If I've understood this correctly, I May have only upgraded my RC and not my aircraft. What do I do now?

I did a silly thing and didn't fully read the 'swipe to upgrade' I saw appear after I connected my P-4 for the first time. After it said upgrade successful I just continued using the go app for my set up etc before turning both the RC and aircraft off. If I've understood this correctly, I May have only upgraded my RC and not my aircraft. What do I do now?
download the assistant 2 app from dji p4 link and use it

As of now 18/3/2016 is this the latest f/w for RC & Aircraft?

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458341358.754884.jpg

I think the update process on the P4 is way more seamless. The app pretty much guides you through the whole process..is it really that hard? I don't think so.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj