This answers and adds some and question about no fly zones.

Reaction score
If you download the app b4ufly by the FAA you can find all the no fly zones. Technically I can’t even fly a RC aircraft in my backyard. There is an abandoned commercial, now private airport, a grass field private airport two hospitals with heliports as well as two businesses surrounding me I am at the fringes of the 5 mile radius. Now California is proposing a no fly zone over 1,000,00 acres of game lands. We have already been banned from all national parks. I also found I out I cannot fly my 120 SR heli at night. I used to enjoy that. So what does everyone think is driving this paranoia? The FEDS sure don’t act this fast in other situation. There has got to be some ulterior motive. I don’t want to offend anyone but congress can’t agree on a Supreme Court nominee more even look at one not to mention the Flint water crisis. I don’t want that to be the focus of this discussion. I am not using that as a point of contention, but just to illustrate that this anti-drone thing is moving at lightning speed, while everything else drags on for years. What is going on?

throw that app in garbage download uav forcast much better

Beware, just installed UAV forecast here in central Georgia. It says 0% chance of precipitation and its raining outside!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

mine has worked flawless

My bad, corrected itself rather quickly.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

B4UFly App is the FAA's way of thumping their chest and showing their 'domain'. It shows I've got 2 'heliports' in my community...
They were established in the 1970's. There were (2) estates on the land before developers bought it out, and built a
planned community. There is NO WHERE to land a helicopter here. It's pretty much impossible. Further investigation
put the dimensions of one landing pad at 10' x 25'. There is no way a helicopter can land in a 10x25 lot without rotors
slicing something up... The FAA still has these as ACTIVE helipads, and have no plans to change it, because it
'gives up airspace' and they want to control it ALL.

You'll see 'no-fly' maps slowly filling up with more and more restricted areas as time goes on. B4UFly is the worst for it,
because every airport/helipad etc. ever listed, active or not is on there. These areas will never be 'updated' to reflect
reality, because the FAA doesn't want anyone using airspace for UAV recreational use. We are the disease... makes ya feel good, don't it?

Follow the guidelines... within 5 miles of an airport, call and report where you're flying. Keep it under 400' and remember
you must give right of way to ALL manned aircraft... If it's up high, bring it down quick. Use common sense when flying,
and you'll stay out of trouble.... At least I have.

You can go out to the store and buy a kite and put it 200-300 feet up and no one will blink an eye... Put a drone up, and
you're some kind of peeping pervert with the sole objective of invading people's privacy. Stupid is spreading fast in this country.

My bad. I guess I didn't explain myself correctly. The FAA b4ufly app shows no fly zones only. not weather it is safe to fly. I am boxed in with no fly zones. I am just wondering what is the momentum behind all this fast action atypical of the FEDS.

uav forcast shows no fly zones also

OK that is great. My question still is what is driving all this stuff so fast, like not allowing flying in national parks, the really fast registration action, and now CA trying to restrict flying from 1,000,000 acres, not being able to fly my lighted 120SR at night even if I am at 10 feet? Any other fed action takes years.

government and there bs laws

Reactions: awiseowl77
IMO, its not the government. Its the media. They are the ones that made the word "drone" a dirty word. They made it invoke images of people being watched from afar, people being killed at stand-off distances. The government is just responding to the voices of the uninformed public.

The media loves sensationalism. A drone doing good is NEVER featured on TV, only the bad...

I agree it's media and paranoia coupled with an FAA that doesn't have a reason in the world to promote UAS activity, and lots of reasons not to.

Re flight zones, I don't like uavforecast. It is incomplete and inaccurate. For example, is shows a five miles radius around major airports and only a 3 mile radius around small airports. Why? Why does it show some heliports but ignores the nearby hospital heliport? Why do heliports have a one mile radius? None of this makes any sense.

uavforecast is fine for weather reports. I would use something else for finding safe flight zones.

I don't like b4ufly either.

My favorite map is airmap.io

Last edited:
I agree it's media and paranoia coupled with an FAA that doesn't have a reason in the world to promote UAS activity, and lots of reasons not to.

Re flight zones, I don't like uavforecast. It is incomplete and inaccurate. For example, is shows a five miles radius around major airports and only a 3 mile radius around small airports. Why? Why does it show some heliports but ignores the nearby hospital heliport? Why do heliports have a one mile radius? None of this makes any sense.

uavforecast is fine for weather reports. I would use something else for finding safe flight zones.

I don't like b4ufly either.

My favorite map is airmap.io

You can adjust the radius on the small airports and ect in the settings

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't care for airmap.io either...

Airmap has the same BS low priority restriction areas as B4UFly (Inactive helipads, 5 mile radius around
the dock a single seaplane is parked). They're pretty much duplicating (or maybe sourcing) B4UFly.

Airmap DOES give some control over the map, but they go on FAA specifications, so they're building their maps on the
same flawed data the FAA is using. Simple fact is, these maps are designed to keep you grounded, not in the air.

Geez... I'm really not a negative guy... really. All I can say, is call the airport(s) in your area, and see where they DON'T want
your UAV... it's a completely different picture than the map you're looking at.

Spot on with the Media +Quadbart. Add money hungry land sharks looking to land a class action suit on ANYTHING,
and you've got a bad scenario for doing just about anything in this world. Slightly off topic, but in the news today, 10 major
car manufacturers are being sued (basically) because they replaced the keyed ignition switch with a key fob/button.
This change has led to people leaving their cars running in their garages and CO poisoning their whole house...
Complete IDIOTS are leaving their car running, and the CAR is the blame. Geez. This type of thinking is setting the
foundation for our rules and regulations... We're soooo lucky, eh?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20