Thinking of selling Inspire 1 and buying a P4

Reaction score
I have an Inspire 1 which I now hardly ever use because it's so much easier to carry around my P3P in my backpack and the photo quality of my P3P is just as good as the Inspire.

I was thinking of selling my Inspire and possibly the P3P and getting a P4 instead.
Just two questions , is the photo and video quality much improved on the P4 over the P3P and lastly are the dimensions the same as the P3 so I could fit it in the same backpack ?
cheers.

BTW this is the backpack I have for the P3 and it's great !

Anbee Backpack Rucksack for DJI Phantom 4 / 3 / 2 Vision / FC40 Quadcopters: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Actually just seen that this backpack now includes P4, so ignore my question about dimensions .

Reactions: Reed L
is the photo and video quality much improved on the P4 over the P3P
No. If you're buying a P4 for the camera only, you should keep your P3.

are the dimensions the same as the P3 so I could fit it in the same backpack ?
The dimensions are close. The biggest difference is the larger size of the P4 batteries.

Reactions: John Locke
There is an improvement from my p3p to my p4 image quality, so much so that I sold my x3 camera since I did not need it anymore.

I would install an x5 on your inspire :cool:

I have an Inspire 1 which I now hardly ever use because it's so much easier to carry around my P3P in my backpack and the photo quality of my P3P is just as good as the Inspire.

I was thinking of selling my Inspire and possibly the P3P and getting a P4 instead.
Just two questions , is the photo and video quality much improved on the P4 over the P3P and lastly are the dimensions the same as the P3 so I could fit it in the same backpack ?
cheers.

BTW this is the backpack I have for the P3 and it's great !

Anbee Backpack Rucksack for DJI Phantom 4 / 3 / 2 Vision / FC40 Quadcopters: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Actually just seen that this backpack now includes P4, so ignore my question about dimensions .
I think you ought to give some more thought before selling your Inspire for a P4. Unless you're getting bored, I believe you'll very soon regret such a decision. The P4 has proven to be a great addtion to the Phantom lineup however, they are totally different birds, both very capable in their own right but not the same and shouldn't be compared. Results from the cameras are similar but having the capability to turn your camera 360 degrees is quite amazing, especially having that big, wide landing gear lifted high above and out of the way. You are correct on size and convenience, the Inspire requires a bit more planning and setup however, owning a Phantom as a second option would give you the best of both worlds. I purchased my Inspire 1 less than 2 months ago to go along with my P3P. I enjoyed flying both and recently sold my Phantom to give the Autel X-Star Premium a try. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Phantom fan and still tell many how great they are. I I think if one can see the benefits of owing more than one drone, having the two aforementioned is a great setup. I know some own a P3 and a P4, although there are differences, I personally don't see the need to have two very similar products. The Inspire is a "beast" and for those that have never flown one, finding an opportunity to do such would make one understand what I'm referring to. I'm well aware that DJI will soon be introducing a replacement to the current Inspire line however, the current product, especially version 2 of the Inspire 1 priced at $1999 is a "steal" for under $2000.

Last edited:
Reactions: NRJ
Post editing for "optimum" results with either the Phantom or Inspire is required, therefore, the minimal differences in the cameras will more than likely be negligible.

Reactions: m0j0
Seems like in this video they say the camera actually seems to be better:
Yeah, the 'say' the lens is "36%" (or some other arbitrary number) better but pics from the P3 and P4 look essentially identical. They did not improve on the big issues with 4K video (the codec, the bitrate) and the general view is the P4 'might' be a bit better than a P3 (or an Inspire with an X3) but no great shakes.

Don't do it! Get The x5 camera for you inspire and purchase the Inspak x5 to carry it in.The P4 is solid but honestly I wish I had gone this route instead of buying the P4. Live and learn!!!

Sounds like a portability issue. As far as comparing the quality of the P4 video to the P3p. Reports are P4 is better due to improved glass/lens. That is probably true but... The P4 and P3 use the same sensor. The bitrate is the same for both. If you have a P3 the camera upgrade is not huge.. Now build quality, OAS, speed, redundant internals might make you go for it but I would not. Instead get that X5 (Gh4) which is incredible.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Keep the P3P! The P4 features don't justify the upgrade IMHO. Frankly I fly my P3P more than my P4 because it has more range and has proven itself stable and reliable, not so much with P4. My P4 still yoyos 6-8ft when I stop forward motion, my P3P has NEVER done that. As for the weak P4 range, you can get respectable range (2+ miles) by using an Inspire controller linked to the P4, that's what I've done and it works fantastic, 2+ miles no problem (stock antenna, custom channel, 4mbps). The P4 RC is the weakest Lightbridge transmitter DJI has ever sold. I've measured the RF output of these RCs with an RF meter to prove it.

If you don't do commercial work, the P3P is a great craft for family videos, hobby videos, doing YouTube videos, etc. If you do commercial work, you need an Inspire to "look like you're serious" in the customer's eyes. And in that case, before you make any decision, wait for the Inspire 2 to see if that is a better way to spend your money.

You won't be able to see any difference on YouTube between P3 to P4 video quality. Yes, P4 has some fancy features like Active track, Obstacle avoidance, and Tap fly, but for me that's all fluff that I never use. The best features of the P4 over the P3 are:
1. 3min longer flight
2. Twist lock props
3 Speed of over 40mph (you can rarely video anything at that speed due to angle of attack. It puts the props in the view)
4. The craft looks really slick compared to P3, much more refined mechanical design. A very elegant design...... if it would only work.

BTW, you'll never enable obstacle avoidance after you learn it's a slug, rarely exceeding 20mph. Once you experience that you'll say..... forget that feature. It's really only useful when you fly beyond VLOS via FPV, and you want to get up close to something. That's how I use it, but rarely.

If the P4 RC wasn't a POS and they could fix the yoyo problem, I would have a different story.

Last edited:
Reactions: gppms
If you do commercial work, you need an Inspire to "look like you're serious" in the customer's eyes.
I guess you recommend buying a Lamborghini to drive to the job sites too? :D

Buying the right tool for the job probably makes more sense in most cases.

I guess you recommend buying a Lamborghini to drive to the job sites too? :D

Buying the right tool for the job probably makes more sense in most cases.
I agree, but your analogy is a little out of reason, but I know you were joking :D

Lets just say that if a plumber showed up at my house by himself driving a VW bug, I'd know he's not a viable plumber.

Taking a P3P in a hardcase as backup to an Inspire for an outdoor shoot IS a good plan. And, using an Inspire for indoor shoots is not a good idea, so P3P with prop guards is more appropriate unless it's a mall or auditorium that has more room to fly. But using a Phantom for commercial shoot in general would be limiting, long term. It really depends on the OPs purpose, personal or commercial.

Just last week I ran into a guy that had an Inspire for personal use. We quickly became friends exchanging stories, etc. He was jealous of the P3P portability in my backpack. He had to prep his craft at the car, then carry the Inspire 600ft to the launch site in one hand and the RC in the other. In the end my videos turned out better than his, not because of camera difference, because there is very little difference in the camera. It was due to his inexperience to fly smoothly and operating the gimbal smoothly on the Inspire. 360 degree cameras are nice, but very difficult to master as single operator. I can usually get the shots I want with the P3P just as easy, if not more. So yes, one key value in the Inspire is to impress the customer, justifying a higher price. Silly, but true. However it's way more stable in wind and can do a better job a flying fast to capture a motorcycle or car, etc. P4 can't do as good of job at that task due to the attack angle often putting props in the view.

one key value in the Inspire is to impress the customer, justifying a higher price
I don't know. I'm just not buying it. The end product will justify the price every time. And, let's be honest, you most likely already have the job and know the price you're being paid before you show up on site to do the work.

Reactions: hionbusa
Customers are impressed by great footage, photos and good editing skills.
That's what you leave people with at the end.

I've seen very few Inspire pilots that pull off shots than would make me jealous as a p4 pilot and I shoot 95% action with 180 deg rotation up to 45mph.

I've seen plenty of Inspire x5raw photos and videos that looked like crap.

I would invest in a good Mac pro and time learning to edit .

Reactions: BrandAL and msinger
Ok thanks for the replies.
My P3P is a great machine. I recently flew it several miles out to sea and back to video a bird colony on a little island. The wind over the island was pretty strong and I managed to get some reasonable video with about 7 or 8 mins loiter time.

So I think I'll keep it and maybe look to getting an X5 for my Inspire 1. Just wondering how long the motors last. I've had it nearly 18 months and I don't want to loose an expensive camera due to motor failure !

Ok thanks for the replies.
My P3P is a great machine. I recently flew it several miles out to sea and back to video a bird colony on a little island. The wind over the island was pretty strong and I managed to get some reasonable video with about 7 or 8 mins loiter time.

So I think I'll keep it and maybe look to getting an X5 for my Inspire 1. Just wondering how long the motors last. I've had it nearly 18 months and I don't want to loose an expensive camera due to motor failure !

You will be happy with the x5 once you learn how the settings work. Here is a picture downsized to upload that I took with mine this weekend. It does really good in low light.

DJI_0621 copy 2.JPG

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj