Thinking of getting a Mavic

Reaction score
Hi,
I fly a P4 but watched a guy using a Mavic the other day.

What really impressed me was it seemed a lot quieter than my P4. This I feel is a big plus and was wondering if anyone else agrees or do I just have a noisy P4?

Any thoughts most appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

My P4 is noisy as there is a lot going on in the drone. Depending on what you want to use it for will determine where you want to go. It's certainly no good for filming a wedding at a close distance but I can hear that reassuring whining on its way back from a long trip at 300 mtrs and that matters to me. Personally, I don't like the Mavic as I already have one folding device and that is my Swiss Army knife.

What really impressed me was it seemed a lot quieter than my P4.
Yes, my Mavic is definitely a lot quieter than my P4. It's not silent by any means though. I really don't see it as much of a plus since I'm able to hear both when they are up in the air.

I don't like the whole idea of having to use a small " phone" as my head unit and the fact that I would have to buy the new goggles. I have Fatsharks and Glyphs and have opened a whole new world to me doing FPV. I'm a retired USCG helicopter pilot and FPV has put me back in the right seat. The only thing going for me with a Mavic is the size.

I'm not a big fan of the folding legs. You keep folding and unfolding and eventually things loosen up.

Also see more parts to break in a accident.

And last but not least, that controller......ish

For me, I prefer my P4 over my Mavic. The camera in the Mavic just isn't as good IMHO. The lens sun flares are very annoying, so much so that I may sell the Mavic and get the P4P. However the portability of the Mavic is amazing. The mechanical engineering in the Mavic is superb, except the camera.

Last edited:
I'm about to buy a P4P ... yes, (get this)_ based on my experience with the Mavic. Now .. here's the thing ... I just sent the Mavic (5 days old) for repair of its camera .. I kept noticing blur on the right side. BUT ... I loved it .. truly the funnest drone EVER (for me, having started with a Matrix, and then Inspire 1, then Typhoon H, and now Mavic. I won't mention the Walkera thing .. garbage. Anyway, it totally solved the issue of whether to hike/travel with drone or other gear .. now I can do both. Anytime.

Anyway, I was considering getting a "spare" Mavic, then realized that while I love it, I don't and never will "love" the camera. It's OK ... certainly .. (yeah, even better than the Inspire 1 X3 ... I looked, and I'm convinced) but the compression is, icky. I LIKE lens flares (do not fly with the plastic hood though ... )

But I know I will appreciate the 20MP stills and better video codec of the P4P.

Having both will ROCK

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik