Thinking of Buying Drone

HKG

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the world of drones and I've been monitoring the videos and chat before I invest in one. I live in Denmark and teach economics, marketing and business studies.

So guys - I'm thinking of getting a drone for a tour guide friend so he can make a little extra cash by providing his clients with aerial footage in some of the locations. I'm thinking the Phantom 2 V+ - only because its an all in package.

Is it worth it? - budget to consider (€2000)

Or is there another set-up to look at?

The phantom 2 vision+ is nice.

I lean towards gopro and future upgrade capability so my vote would be buying a phantom 2 gopro with zenmuse (2 or 3 axis gimbal) and FPV kit if you want that.

If you don't want to bother with setting it up yourself, several website vendors sell kits so you don't have to do the installs yourself.

HKG,
By all means get a P2V+ and have a great time flying your new quad copter. I would have purchased the + but I had to put all my dollars in the dollar stretcher and got a P2V. Nice unit.
Oh, by the way a good story for you. Some one once said a drone is a large aircraft that some one with a computer flies for miles and miles. And sometimes drop bombs. What we have are quad copters and fly them short distances and use a handheld controller. So some day when some one comes up to you while you are flying and says, "nice drone", you can tell them the difference.
Welcome to the forum and have a great time with your new quad.

If the beebop drone is anything like the AR Drone, then it will be horrible in any type of wind.

There are pros and cons of the Vision+.

Pros -
RTF all in one
great for the beginner

Cons -
one crash could totally the most important thing. (gimbal and/or camera)
You cant easily replace it
And if you do, it wont be cheap at all.

If anything, I would recommend a Phantom 1, 2 or FC40.

Reasons being:
They are cheaper
You can equip them with a gimbal and gopro that are both easily replaceable.
If you buy the best buy warranty for the gopro, they will completely replace it if the drone takes a spill and it breaks.
Also, the gimbals are cheaper and more readily available

If high resolution videos arent a "must". Then the FC40 is the perfect beginner drone for him to showcase some sites.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments.

Firstly, whilst I am seriously interested in getting a 'quad' (correct term) for myself at a latter point, my primary objective presently is getting a reasonable machine for my friend.

He's a tour guide in Morocco. The competition amongst guides out there is intense! Any little thing that gives an advantage is beneficial. I met him a couple of years ago and we've been working on several projects that may help him: website design and other ways to generate income.

Last year we booked him and his mini-van for 14 days (1600DHS per day or €145). We had been planning this trip over a year and he also asked that we bring him 3 tablets (worth €225 each). On the first day I gave him €2030 and the tablets (total value €2705).

I was pleasantly surprised when we saw him the next day and for the remainder on the trip!!!

This is one of those guys that actually deserves being helped!! His elder brother paid for his education and now he's earning to pay for his little sister's schooling.

Anyways, back to the main point - Quads.

I had a look at some of the footage for the Parrot Bebop - its doesn't seem as stable as the PV2+.

Have a look at this video - this guy had the right idea, but again its the stabilization that I don't like. He's using a Phantom V2. Be careful, the video has a very haunting soundtrack!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm1hJ0yA2tc

All advice is welcome.

I started off about a month ago with the FC40, as good as some of the footage was I lasted about a week. Another £400 down (more than the cost of the original FC40) I have added a gimbal and gopro onto the phantom. It was only a cheap chinese gimbal probably about £100 worth, took a whole weekend to manage to get it set up correctly.

I can't speak for the vision or vision+ as I haven't seen them, but I can honestly say the time and money spent has been well worth it upgrading the FC40. Although it took some time (probably more time to come and money) to get right, and has really tested my patience at some points it has been pretty much fun. You definitely get some sense of achievement out of adding your own stuff, if you can't be bothered with that or haven't got the time I would look at buying some sort of all in package. I would recommended the FC40 to start with as mentioned above and upgrading certain things after you get the hang of flying it. If you do it that way make sure you read all the available info and available video tutorials out there, as they will help you a lot.

HKG said:
Hi,

I'm new to the world of drones and I've been monitoring the videos and chat before I invest in one. I live in Denmark and teach economics, marketing and business studies.

So guys - I'm thinking of getting a drone for a tour guide friend so he can make a little extra cash by providing his clients with aerial footage in some of the locations. I'm thinking the Phantom 2 V+ - only because its an all in package.

Is it worth it? - budget to consider (€2000)

Or is there another set-up to look at?

I have the FC40 and if I had it to do all over again I would buy one with a gimbal and is ready for a GoPro. I have looked at the newer Phantom with the gimabal and camera already mounted but have issues with it. Can the camera be replaced? What kind of image quality does it produce and how rugged is it? The GoPro can be put in a weather sealed case at least. Maybe not mounted to the gimbal. I have already dunked one GoPro and it finally quit working.

liam_mcf said:
I started off about a month ago with the FC40, as good as some of the footage was I lasted about a week. Another £400 down (more than the cost of the original FC40) I have added a gimbal and gopro onto the phantom. It was only a cheap chinese gimbal probably about £100 worth, took a whole weekend to manage to get it set up correctly.

I can't speak for the vision or vision+ as I haven't seen them, but I can honestly say the time and money spent has been well worth it upgrading the FC40. Although it took some time (probably more time to come and money) to get right, and has really tested my patience at some points it has been pretty much fun. You definitely get some sense of achievement out of adding your own stuff, if you can't be bothered with that or haven't got the time I would look at buying some sort of all in package. I would recommended the FC40 to start with as mentioned above and upgrading certain things after you get the hang of flying it. If you do it that way make sure you read all the available info and available video tutorials out there, as they will help you a lot.

I'm with Liam.
I have an FC40, but upgraded to a gimbal and a gopro and vision props.
It's essentially a vision +, with shorter battery life and better camera ;)

I velcro'ed the FC40 cam onto the battery door to keep my FPV. Works **** well.
Like I said before, if anything breaks, I dont have to send the entire thing to China and not see it for months

FC40 strong here as well, it's just a great, cheap platform. While your friend is learning the stock camera is great, once he's ready you can upgrade to a gimbal...that won't break cause a bird farted on it. I really love everything about the vision+, but that nancy gimbal and camera just give me the shivers.

Edit:
Just watched the video clip and YIKES. My FC40 and Tarot beat the pants off that footage, but then you're talking about buying a GoPro. The new GoPro Hero4 will have built in image stabilization, and should be released at the same price point as the current 3+, and by the end of this month. To say nothing of shooting in 4k and I gotta tell ya, I get wood just thinking about it. There are others here who feel the same, but are too embarrassed to admit it. :lol:

Tell us more about the website. Will he want hosting on the site so he can display his video? What cost range are you looking in?

CarlJ said:
FC40 strong here as well, it's just a great, cheap platform. While your friend is learning the stock camera is great, once he's ready you can upgrade to a gimbal...that won't break cause a bird farted on it. I really love everything about the vision+, but that nancy gimbal and camera just give me the shivers.

Edit:
Just watched the video clip and YIKES. My FC40 and Tarot beat the pants off that footage, but then you're talking about buying a GoPro. The new GoPro Hero4 will have built in image stabilization, and should be released at the same price point as the current 3+, and by the end of this month. To say nothing of shooting in 4k and I gotta tell ya, I get wood just thinking about it. There are others here who feel the same, but are too embarrassed to admit it. :lol:

Tell us more about the website. Will he want hosting on the site so he can display his video? What cost range are you looking in?

Cost range..HEHEHE...somewhere between zero and nothing...HEHE ...cost range....

My friend is a down to earth kind of guy. He's good at what he does:tour guide. I'm helping him cos (1) he could do with the help and (2) he deserves it. The projects we are working on will benefit him and I will give my time free.

I'm not rich, but when you go to places like Morocco, you realize very quickly just how fortunate Europeans are, especially in Denmark. We have State Healthcare, Education, and Welfare - not to mention a minimum of 5 weeks paid holiday a year. I cant change the world, but if I find someone deserving, and the only cost is time - then why not? - At least I'll have the knowledge that my time has contributed to helping someone get a better education.

Wipe the tears away kids

So far the website is an open plan - anything is possible, but the costs cant be silly. He's paying for everything himself. I don't mind helping people, but I don't ever just give money away - free money has no value. A man that gives his time gives value

HKG said:
Cost range..HEHEHE...somewhere between zero and nothing...HEHE ...cost range....

My friend is a down to earth kind of guy. He's good at what he does:tour guide. I'm helping him cos (1) he could do with the help and (2) he deserves it. The projects we are working on will benefit him and I will give my time free.

I'm not rich, but when you go to places like Morocco, you realize very quickly just how fortunate Europeans are, especially in Denmark. We have State Healthcare, Education, and Welfare - not to mention a minimum of 5 weeks paid holiday a year. I cant change the world, but if I find someone deserving, and the only cost is time - then why not? - At least I'll have the knowledge that my time has contributed to helping someone get a better education.

Wipe the tears away kids

So far the website is an open plan - anything is possible, but the costs cant be silly. He's paying for everything himself. I don't mind helping people, but I don't ever just give money away - free money has no value. A man that gives his time gives value

The world needs more people like you.

Ok, so I'll stop spending your money like a drunken sailor. The FC40 is still the cheapest solution as a all in one package, but the camera is shameful at only 720p. If you can live with that, at least for a time then you're good to go there.

As far as the website, I'm guessing you'd want one the the 5 page max sites with free email, and the ability to embed video. Setting up a custom site is costly and very time consuming.

dragonash said:
liam_mcf said:

I'm with Liam.
I have an FC40, but upgraded to a gimbal and a gopro and vision props.
It's essentially a vision +, with shorter battery life and better camera ;)

I velcro'ed the FC40 cam onto the battery door to keep my FPV. Works **** well.
Like I said before, if anything breaks, I dont have to send the entire thing to China and not see it for months

Exactly the same apart from the velcro'ed FC40 camera for FPV, that's my next mission once I've finally fine tuned the gimbal :D

RE: Web site -

Wordpress. Easy as typing a document to set up, thousands of free "themes" (select one that is "responsive" so it will work on tablets and phones) and there are hundreds of useful "widgets" for things like newsletters, shopping carts, Twitter displays and more. I don't recommend the "free" hosting at Wordpress.org. Get it hosted with INCLUDED DAILY backup. Wordpress is database-driven so if the database breaks, it's gone. Don't assume backup is included - It's almost always not.

the fc40 has one problem. if you want to add goggles for fpv,the fc 40 has a 5.8 ghz transmitter and the goggles also work on 5.8. i bought an fc40 and had to get it converted to 2.4 ghz.major pain. so, i would suggest getting a phantom 1 and then just add all the goodies as you can afford them.another big bonus, the phantom 1 batteries cost about 25 dollars while the phantom2 and vision batteries will run you 160 dollars each.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4