Thinking of Buying a Phantom, need some advice

Reaction score
Hello,

With Xmas approaching i am keen to get a DJJ Phantom - this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/DJI-Phantom-Aer ... B00AGOSQI8

I already have a gopro, and will be ordering the new gopro 4 shortly. Does the model i have listed here come with everything i need to start taking ariel shots? I have been told the camera is in a fixed position, is there anyway i can change this so i can have the freedom of rotating the camera once the drone is airborne?

Thanks in advance

Nick

I think i need a gimble as well so the shots are steady, does this device allow the camera to be rotated also so you can get better shots and track things etc?

That's the original Phantom, not the Phantom2, so yes, you can fit a gimbal, but it is not as straight forward. the P2 can accept the H3-3D directly as it has all the cables ready to plug in. On the original Phantom, you will need to open the bird up and locate the correct connections and possibly solder a few wires here and there.

To see what you are shooting, you will also need a video downlink (FPV) system. I am assuming you are based in the UK, so the only legal system is 5.8GHz at 25mW, but most people use 200mW - 600mW to get a bit more range. You cannot use the wifi on the GoPro, as it interferes with the radio control signal and can lead to loss of control. Suggest you also get a mini iosd, so that you can see important flight data like battery life, height and speed etc.

Have a look at http://www.heliguy.com/quadcopters/dji-phantom-2.html They can sell you a fully tested, ready built quad, ready to fit your GoPro to.

With gimbals, there are two basic paths:
- get a (cheap) generic Chinese one
- use one of DJI's (expensive) models

The first option requires a lot more setup and calibration work on your part, but presumably you can get decent results.
The second option still requires some assembly, but should not need so much calibration. But if you plan to go this way, you should start with a Phantom 2. It will come with the right connections, and you'll have longer flight times. You can, of course, start with a Phantom 1 and upgrade it to the same level, but do your research first.

Beyond just attaching a camera, there are the things mentioned above:
- Getting a live feed of the camera to you on the ground (FPV)
- Getting telemetry data such as the craft's position and battery level.
Each of these requires more work and research. Of course, you can also just buy a Phantom 2 Vision + and get it all prebuilt from the start.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik