Thinking of building a 550

Reaction score
I'm very new to the whole RC heli gig but totally into photography. I'm thinking of building a 550 for aerial photo/video purposes, so I can carry a larger payload and have longer flight times.

I'm not able to find a list of parts needed or anything like that. What do I need to build one? Is there a checklist or instructions on how to build one which isn't a youtube video?

Thoughts? Better suggestions?

You have a Phantom now?

I switched from a Phantom to a F550, but am still missing my first FPV / video flight. Reason for moving was more stable platform and larger payload. Have the following;

F550 arf kit
Futaba T8J TX+RX
Naza M V2 + GPS
zenmuse plate F550
retractable landing skids
Arris CM3000 gimbal
iOSD mini
DJI can hub
immersion 600mw tx
immersion duo rx
8" FPV screen
tripod legs for screen
5000mah 3s + 5000mah 4s batteries

Where did you obtain those 5000mah batteries? I just built a Jumper 600 and probably could use one or two. Would prefer a USA source.

I ordered a parallel XT60 harness yesterday. Was thinking of just using two of my Phantom's 2200mah batteries in parallel until I came to a decision on a proper 5000mah battery.

PF

mediaguro

Just order a DJI Flame F550....all the parts are there...just some assembly time needed. Plus there are different configurations depending on how much money you want to spend

Thanks thetac,

So I've found a few that range in the $370-$499 area for what seems to be everything needed for the body with no remote and no battery. Does that sound correct?

This Kit comes includes the following
1 x F550 Flame Wheel Frame Set
6 x DJI 2212-920kv Motors
6 x DJI 30A OPTO ESC's
6 x 10" Props/Blades
6 x 8" Props/Blades

So I'd need a controller and battery?

Can the controller for the phantom control the 550?

You would need a separate transmitter and receiver...I use a Spektrum DX8...and an AR8000 receiver. If you go this route it is cheaper to buy your transmitter/receiver as a kit....plus you will get the altitude reporting pieces you need with the kit...a good price on the DX8 kit is around $439.....but you might find one cheaper....just insure it is a whole kit....i bought mine all in pieces and it end up costing me $600

Claust said:
You have a Phantom now?

I switched from a Phantom to a F550, but am still missing my first FPV / video flight. Reason for moving was more stable platform and larger payload. Have the following;

F550 arf kit
Futaba T8J TX+RX
Naza M V2 + GPS
zenmuse plate F550
retractable landing skids
Arris CM3000 gimbal
iOSD mini
DJI can hub
immersion 600mw tx
immersion duo rx
8" FPV screen
tripod legs for screen
5000mah 3s + 5000mah 4s batteries

Claust - how are you finding the Arris 3 axis gimbal? I'm very tempted by one.
I have nearly the exact same bits and pieces as you and am thinking of making the jump to a F550. I would only do so if (like you) I got the retracts ! :)

What sort of flight time are you getting with that set up?

Thanks

thetac said:
I use these in my boat...very good battery....tried two of them on my DJI 550 Flame....seems to fly well but no longer than on one 8000........ here's the link

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_inf ... Mgodo2gA1A

Yeah...that's a good one. This one comes from Sri Lanka - but look at the price! $17.77

http://store.slrcnetwork.com/product.php?id_product=84

Might have to wait three weeks (just a guess) but hell, <$18.00???? One thing I noticed are the dimensions. Only 17mm thick but 71mm tall and 150mm long. Since it's going to be slung underneath my Jumper 600 anyway, those dimensions work great for me! I may go ahead and start the purchase procedure just to see what the shipping costs might add. Probably $50.00 LOL!!!!

EDIT: Shipping for two batteries would be $18.00, BUT, I couldn't order any because their web site says the country I selected (USA) requires selection of a state - and there is NO WAY to enter one. There is no pull down menu, and every effort at entering a state in any other address field failed.

PF

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1