Thinking about upgrading my motors.... have a few questions.

Reaction score
Hey all,

Thank you for taking a bit of time to read my post.... Question, I am going to be upgrading my motors in the future, but am having a bit of trouble deciding on which ones to go with. I am thinking about going with some 2216's, mainly because of the weight limitations imposed on the craft by the current propulsion system on the phantom. Right now my bird weighs in around 1243 grams, batteries, gimbal, fpv and camera. I am running 9x5 cf props and gained a couple minutes just by switching the wings out. My biggest question is what is a good brand of motor to look at. I know T-Motor products are of very good quality, but the price is pretty steep, especially for the 2216's. I am considering the Sunny Sky v2216 900kv motors as an alternative. They seem to have really good reviews, but for the life of me, I can't seem to find any spec's to look at (which worries me).
I've looked at the Lumenier motors as well, but they are on the upper end of the cost spectrum too. According to the ecalc site, the 2216's will really benefit the craft when lifting a payload. I spend most of the flight time filming, and I think that adding motors that will allow me to hover at a lower throttle level will benefit the craft considerably.

I guess I need more brands to consider before I make an educated guess on which one to go with LOL! Seriously though, are the T-Motors or the Lumenier motors worth the extra money or will the Sunny Sky motors work just as well?

Ok, now comes the second question, has anyone ever upgraded the ESC's in the phantom? If so, what ESC's did you use and were they hard to program?

Anyway, thank you for your time,

Tim

Re: Thinking about upgrading my motors.... have a few questi

Just curious what machine this upgrade will be going on?

Phantom v1.1.1.... LOL Guess I should have mentioned that wee little detail... ;)

I haven't used their V2216 900kv model, but I have SunnySky's V3508-16 700kv on a hexrotor and they work great. I bought them as the alternative to a similar model from T-motor that cost twice as much, after seeing a lot of positive feedback about the brand and their "V" series motors. So far I've been very pleased with them, but I've never run the T-motor model to compare.

I'm not familiar with Lumenier's 2216 900kv, but it looks like it could just be a re-badge of the T-motor (not an uncommon practice with motor manufacturers).

OI Photography said:
I haven't used their V2216 900kv model, but I have SunnySky's V3508-16 700kv on a hexrotor and they work great. I bought them as the alternative to a similar model from T-motor that cost twice as much, after seeing a lot of positive feedback about the brand and their "V" series motors. So far I've been very pleased with them, but I've never run the T-motor model to compare.

I'm not familiar with Lumenier's 2216 900kv, but it looks like it could just be a re-badge of the T-motor (not an uncommon practice with motor manufacturers).

After thinking about it more, I think I will just give the SS motors a try. I think my biggest concern atm is the specs on this adapter. I am running some Gemfan 9x5 cf wings on my phantom right now, and man what an improvement over stock. I want to keep using those props, but I am thinking that I will have to have some sort of adapter to size the hole down to the right shaft diameter. Having found no information on these prop adapters http://www.buddyrc.com/sunnysky-v22-bol ... apter.html, it begs the question of what the shaft diameter actually is. I am needing something that will size down from an 8mm shaft to "something". I am guessing its either 6mm or 5mm. One or the other... Not being able to find any sort of specs on the adapters sucks. If anyone has a link to some sort of information on them, that would be awesome!

Thanks!

Tim

The SS prop adaptors that came with mine have 6mm shafts, I think the one that comes with the 2216's is the same.

When I saw the price difference between the SS and T-motor's it seemed like a no-brainer to at least test them. So far I'm glad I did.

Did you get the adapters that are ccw threaded? Seems to me for the money you get a lot of bang for your buck with the SS motors.

talunceford said:
Did you get the adapters that are ccw threaded? Seems to me for the money you get a lot of bang for your buck with the SS motors.

Mine are all threaded the same direction, and the nylock nuts (which I recommend over the dunce caps) screw on in the normal righty-tighty-lefty-loosy fashion, so I thought that was a cw thread...?

Cool, yeah I saw that SS has some that are cw threaded and some that are ccw threaded. I was thinking about getting a couple of each. I've got the cw/ccw motors on my phantom and have yet to have something "unexpected" happen. Kinda like the idea of having that extra measure of safety.

After reading up on ccw prop adapters in general, it seems that just using the nylock nuts is plenty on even the cw threaded models.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.