Things you should NEVER do with your Phantom

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
To sum up what has been posted below:

• Never shut down your motors by pressing and holding both remote control sticks down and to the center (the Phantom might tip over). Instead, hold the left stick straight down until the motors shut down (~4 seconds).
  • Don't fly near birds, dogs, or other animals.
  • Don't charge the batteries while they are still hot from the previous flight.
  • Don't use live video without props on in doors (it will overheat wifi card due to no circulation).
  • Always remove the gimbal protector before powering up the Phantom.
  • Make sure the S1 and S2 switches are in the top position before taking off. And be mindful of their positions when wearing gloves (in case you accidentally switch them).

Reactions: UpLift Aerial
There's usually a very brief period before the motors shut down that they speed up and very often it can cause it to tip. Also, of course, this is never a good idea when you're in flight :p

The only time you should use the sticks in the down and centered position is if you actually want to kill the motors while in the air.

Gents that will not happen if you move first the left stick full down, then to the middle and then the same on the right stick.
If you do that simultaneous then it can indeed cause a tip over.
Pls execute a CSC the right way.

What's the point? (beside shut down 1-2 seconds sooner)

ToThePoint said:
Gents that will not happen if you move first the left stick full down, then to the middle

If you're gonna pull it down first... Might as well hold it down ... The motors will stop shortly anyway

CSC motor stop is for emergencies in the air... Normal shutoff is left stick down and hold...

things you should never do with your Phantom

Immediately charge your battery right after a flight while it is still hot....

BlackTracer said:
msinger said:
The only time you should use the sticks in the down and centered position is if you actually want to kill the motors while in the air.
I also do the move when starting the motors.
Right -- everyone else does too :)

#$%!#$^@!!!!! Wish I would've known this!!! My brand new DJI vision+ v2.0 died last night on my first flight because it tipped over on the ground.

smokiespliff said:
Another thing you should never do with your phantom: take off near donkeys. Donkeys do NOT like quadcopters.
:lol: Donkeys don't like quads? Who would have known?
I saw a video where a wild goat attacked a phanom and its pilot, so I will avoid them as well as donkeys!

One thing I won't do is land in sand or loose dirt. Much safer to hand catch. :D

locoworks said:
so why shouldn't you do it sticks centre down?? does it blow up??
no, but it does cause tip overs.....

standard practice is to hold left stick down for about 4 seconds

ANOTHER THING YOU SHOULDN'T DO:

-use live video without props on in doors (it will overheat wifi card due to no circulation)
-leave on gimbal protector while turning the phantom on (it took me a few times to learn this for some reason)
-dont use the third position on s1 as manual....on colder days with gloves, you can accidentally hit manual and its not a good thing if you are near the ground

I've seen dogs chase Phantoms a few times. One made a lunge for it and missed the props by a hair, as it was being launched.

Dogs and Phantoms do not a good mix make.

robinbuzios said:
smokiespliff said:
Another thing you should never do with your phantom: take off near donkeys. Donkeys do NOT like quadcopters.

First hand experience? Do tell more!

Indeed!

There are some lovely traditional Irish cottages near where I live which tourists rent out to stay in: https://yy2.staticflickr.com/5547/14463 ... 8158_z.jpg

Across the road from them is a field full of donkeys. When tourists stop to photograph the cottages the donkeys all come bounding up to the gate to get fed apples and whatnot from the tourists, who love petting them. Everybody wins!
Except when we pulled up and launched a quad to video the cottages, the entire fecking herd of them started braying and honking and ARRR ARRR ARRR and kicked up a hell of a fuss. Needless to say I had to land it quickly....

Didn't know about the live video issue. Luckily I've only done it 3 times for a minute or two. Won't be doing it again.

My dog and I regularly play 'catch me if you can' with the Phantom. It makes for great video and she only caught it once so far. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik