Thermal Imaging On the Cheap (P2V+ and Seek Thermal)

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to share what I rigged up this weekend. My Seek Thermal just arrived and with a little MacGuyvering it took it's first maiden flight.

The P2V+ obviously has a 100 degree field of view and the Seek Thermal only has about 40 degrees, so it only captures part of the frame.

http://youtu.be/bNWHs0pSKDQ

Some pointers for anyone who might try it in colder climates. You need to manually turn of the video for the Seek Thermal app to save the video. In colder climates the airflow from the props can cool a phone down to the point where it reaches it's thermal limits and shuts down, losing all your video both thermal and standard. I used a small hand warmer and some styrofoam wrapping to insulate the phone and it ran like a champ.

Enjoy!

So was this a app on your phone, then you attached the phone to the quad?

And what video do you see when flying, the normal video from the quad camera?

Did you get the Seek Thermal XR?

This was using the original Seek Thermal. The XR has longer range, but narrower field of view...and 40 degrees is plenty narrow!

I mounted my phone and Seek on the drone and flew around in visual range since I didn't have another phone handy for the video feed.

What kind of distance do you think it has? As in how high above could something be picked up at night?

I forgot I had these pic's to add.

Attachments

• 1seek.jpg
    1seek.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,710
  • 1seek2.jpg
    1seek2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,697
Those trees in the thermal video are about 150 yards and they are exposed to ambient, only thing heating them is sunlight. It's rated at 1000ft and I can see the neighbors house which is right around that range. People, cars, houses show up well, since ambient here right now is around 0C/32F.

Never seen that before, or even heard of an addon for a phone (havent gone looking, but still)

Looks very cool for $300.

What is the diff between XR and the slightly cheaper version?
*edit* I see you answered that already

Also you get the android version?

Just trying to think what I could use this for....

Thanks for posting it up :)

I have the iphone version.

It's quite handy for looking for things around the house. Missing insulation, water leaks from tubs, windows. Drafty areas near doors and windows. You can find heating registers that were never cut into the drywall. You can also find overheating wires and circuit breakers.

Haha I just mentioned this possibility in the FLIR thread and PhantomRock PM'd me to get lost that I was changing the topic on his thread so I didn't bother posting any further about it.

Good to know that it works.

Now all you need is some kind of 4G/LTE Android screen streaming to get a live view while flying. My SEEK camera is in the mail, can't wait to get it.

There's webkey.cc which acts like a VNC server on your rooted Android device, but my experience is that it is painfully slow with screen rendering over WAN. Would be nice if there was something like Chromecast over 4g/lte to another Android device.

PhantomGuyTS said:
I have the iphone version.

It's quite handy for looking for things around the house. Missing insulation, water leaks from tubs, windows. Drafty areas near doors and windows. You can find heating registers that were never cut into the drywall. You can also find overheating wires and circuit breakers.
:D
Just ordered one!
Thanks for posting. Now to make iPhone gimble, lol.

Just to add some value to this. If the phone you're putting up in the air has a data connection, you could share the stream using Screen Stream Mirroring to ustream.tv (a free streaming service that's pretty easy to use) on a secondary device.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... reenstream

ilovecoffee said:
Just to add some value to this. If the phone you're putting up in the air has a data connection, you could share the stream using Screen Stream Mirroring to ustream.tv (a free streaming service that's pretty easy to use) on a secondary device.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... reenstream

Now that would be awesome.

Now I/We need some start to finish How-To instruction on how to put this together.

Got the XR today. 20 degree field of vision. Nice piece of technology!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,122
You get a nice case for the camera, too. Free app for iOS.
My 5S with the Seek.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    699.7 KB · Views: 1,259
I have been looking for something like this. So anything that people don't like about this FLIR?

rotorwash said:
I have been looking for something like this. So anything that people don't like about this FLIR?

Cost... Flir is the market leader as far as I can tell in the commercial, industrial and military applications. Hardware, software, small size and light weight add up to some big dollars. If your question is related to reliability, I would believe it is the best as well, but you should search out others with more experience to confirm,

sorry I should have said thermal. I think of Flir as thermal like people say Kleenex for tissue Ha!

I am weak and really want to get the seek thermal XR. Looks like a great tool and might replace my laser thermometer

OK. Here is my experimental flight. My quad DID NOT like the extra weight of my phone. Using SEEK Thermal

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1bxhlPCuKg[/youtube]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav