There is no QUALITY ISSUES with the LED lights. It's just a different plastic. Look at images! TY.

Reaction score
Hey guys.

****I am posting this because even though I put it in the other thread, it keeps getting discussed so I am posting it here for all to see and anyone that doesn't see the difference, you're on your own. It's obvious to my 3 year old.

So I went to Drone's Plus yesterday to ask my friend who is their head engineer, an authorized DJI re-seller and repair shop and forgetting about the wiggling of the battery, he instantly pointed out why one battery looks brighter than the other. It is super obvious and I'm surprised myself, or nobody else can see it.

I took pics this time so you can zoom in if you have to. *EDIT I figured out how to post it zoomed in a little. If you can't see it on this post, you are either on a phone or need glasses or new glasses. I recommend looking on a computer screen.

First a "good" and "bright" battery right next to each other.

image_zpsfctn7hs1.jpeg

Now each battery closer up and look at the plastic covering the bats. The one with the #2 on it, has a matte finish which evenly distibutes the light from the underneath LED and the other one is just a clear plastic which is presumably cheaper but since we now know it's not a quality control issue, can we stop talking about it?

Here is the "good" battery close up. I suggest if you can't see it zoom in. It's painfully obvious.

image_zpsqomajozs.jpeg~original

Now, I'm going to post the "bright" battery right below it and compare the different plastic covering the LEDs. You see the one above has a matte finish and if you look at your own non-bright batteries, you will see that it looks like the one below. It would almost be like if you put a piece of clear plastic over your LED TV rather than the matte finish of your TV which would make the picture look like a bunch of LED backlights (assuming you don't have an OLED. So click on the image and zoom in if you have bad eyes and cant see it.

Bright one.

image_zpsgfcadm99.jpeg~original

Now with anyone with half decent eyes, you should be able to see the difference here without zooming in. You see how you can SEE THE LEDs as opposed tothe one above. It's ONLY A DIFFERENCE of material covering the LEDs. That's it, nothing more. End of story. Nothing more to talk about as it pertains to brightness. They changed the material either on a production run, for good, or whatever, but it is not a quality control issue, it's just a different plastic. It's even easier to see live so if you have one that is smooth and one that isn't, go have a look. You can literally see how it's not uniform now because you can see the LEDs.

Don't know how many other ways to say it but that is it folks. Let's move on from the lights??? Please!

Reactions: BigAl07
To your point...There's probably dozens of differences inside due to the various vendors involved.
It would be very poor supply-chain organization to only have one source for parts or sub-assemblies and with today's just-in-time business philosophies you need multiple sources for everything.

Reactions: BigAl07
To your point...There's probably dozens of differences inside due to the various vendors involved.
It would be very poor supply-chain organization to only have one source for parts or sub-assemblies and with today's just-in-time business philosophies you need multiple sources for everything.
Well that's a different conversation.

I do not like the differences either but JUST to the point of the light, this is the issue.

Two words:

Manufacturing tolerances.

Two words:

Manufacturing tolerances.
Does this exceed your threshold for manufacturing tolerances?

Speaking of manufacturing tolerances, they exist.

Here is something that might make you not mind the bright light so much in the variance of the matte to the non-matte finish.

The FDA allows a limited amount of rat and mice poop in our peanut butter. They actually have a legal allowed manufacturing tolerance of MOUSE CRAP!!!!

So I'll take a clear vs matte finish over rat crap any day of the week. It's possible that they are just trying to cut costs. You have no idea how many millions of dollars a simple change like that can make (or maybe you do) and if they need to change the brightness of the LEDs to improve something that is more important, I am okay with that. I am happy to know that the light issue is not a QC issue. That said, there are a bunch of other QC issues including the battery moving a little (which not all do) that I am more obviously concerned about.

Click the link below if you don't believe that you have a FDA approved bottle of peanut butter has legal poop. Maybe you have the kind that has peanut butter with jelly and rat crap mixed in.

For the timid, let me post the first sentence of the below link.

You’ve probably eaten mouse poop — and the federal government is just fine with that. It’s also fine with mold, rat hairs and insect legs.

Here's How Much Mouse Poop The FDA Allows In Your Food

I have three batteries. The two that came with my P4 (just got it yesterday, already had latest firmware loaded etc. so it's a late run P4) and one I ordered online from a second hand source.

The batteries from DJI directly are brighter than the one from the other source. Apparently the the battery from the other source is an earlier run. Also, I can see no difference in the finish of the battery cases.

BUT, there is zero difference in performance. All it is the "diffuser" in there to spread the light evenly on the lights and tone them down a bit.

On mine, I can clearly see the difference brightness. The one battery has a more subtle glow, nothing more, nothing less. :)

Last edited:
Man you're wound up Jussaguy.

I agree the brightness means nothing.

I don't even see the need for LEDs... How's that???

You suggest a change. I'm saying it's cheap Chinese manufacturing with little QC and the next batch could have even other differences.

I have had the opportunity to work in China for a US manufacturer and seen the conditions and various contract assembly facilities.

Man you're wound up Jussaguy.

I agree the brightness means nothing.

I don't even see the need for LEDs... How's that???

You suggest a change. I'm saying it's cheap Chinese manufacturing with little QC and the next batch could have even other differences.

I have had the opportunity to work in China for a US manufacturer and seen the conditions and various contract assembly facilities.
If you think I am wound up, you are misinterpreting my demeanor. I am calm as can be right now.

Well it has obscured your ability to recognize when someone is supporting your findings.

What you see as a change is merely variation in materials, manufacturing tolerances, QC acceptance or just business as usual in China.

Some shells cracked, some didn't.
Some had all the stickers, some didn't.
Some lose altitude when stopping, some don't.
Etc...

Just an observation here: The DJI part description is different on the two boxes as well as the UPC code. Changed from 'Part 7' to 'Part 54'

edit: misread 54 for S4.

Last edited:
Well it has obscured your ability to recognize when someone is supporting your findings.

What you see as a change is merely variation in materials, manufacturing tolerances, QC acceptance or just business as usual in China.

Some shells cracked, some didn't.
Some had all the stickers, some didn't.
Some lose altitude when stopping, some don't.
Etc...
With all due respect, it is you that is not understanding my response to you which may very well be my fault.

I understood exactly what you were saying. I was asking you the actual question of whether or not this meets your threshold for manufacturing tolerance. Most people don't have that word in their vernacular so I figured you were a person with understanding of factors terminology and so I asked the question.

The rat poop was just a "fun" fact although it's not that fun. I never once was questioning anything negative.

wow every day a problem just get out of the hobby and no more problems for you

Just an observation here: The DJI part description is different on the two boxes as well as the UPC code. Changed from 'Part 7' to 'Part S4'
I don't have the box for my initial bat but that's an interesting observation.

All my bats say part 54 not S4 (did you mean 54?). Either way, that would explain a definite variance.

wow every day a problem just get out of the hobby and no more problems for you
This is not a problem, this is a non-problem. Are you reading anything?

I am not the one that even saw the BRIGHT issue to begin with. I am just the one that is saying that it's NOT A PROBLEM so what the heck are you talking about????

I haven't noticed the lights thing, but the two batteries I ordered with the Apple Store 50% of promo code came with just one bar of charge. That seemed odd, since the other factory ones seem to have 50% when shipped.

I haven't noticed the lights thing, but the two batteries I ordered with the Apple Store 50% of promo code came with just one bar of charge. That seemed odd, since the other factory ones seem to have 50% when shipped.

My two BOGO batteries came with 25 asnd 28% charge.

I didn't read them in the app, but one bar would be that I guess.

My two BOGO batteries came with 25 asnd 28% charge.
That is totally normal and in fact a fairly optimal range to store the battery. You don't want to store a battery for over a couple days at above 50%.

Again, a completely normal variance.

They charge them up a little because you don't want a resting battery to be above 50% or below 10% so you both are just fine here.

Reactions: snowghost
My two P4 batteries have the same level of LED brightness, but each is made of a slightly different shade of White plastic.. Maybe made by different vendors? Or just tolerances. One came with the P4, the other I bought direct from DJI.. Just typical Chinese manufacturing I suspect.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31