There Is In Fact An iPad SD Card Reader

Reaction score
Just wanted all to know that Apple does make an SD card reader adapter (it was news to me [emoji12]).

Saw it on another post and bought one. Looks slick.

I'm sure it's faster than transferring pics and vids from the bird wirelessly.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437235347.130866.jpg

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=151709095926&globalID=EBAY-US

Mark.

Last edited:
Just wanted all to know that Apple does make an SD card reader adapter (it was news to me [emoji12]).

View attachment 25171

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=151709095926&globalID=EBAY-US

Mark.
a month ago I went to BB to get one and the Apple guy said they dont make one. I tried to be polite about it but he was being a ****, mr know it all ,hot shot ,in front of the boss. When I was trying to tell him they do , he pretty much dismissed me. So I went and found it myself. Took it back to him and his boss and asked what this used for?
Boss gave me 15% off:D

View attachment 25171

Mark.
It will transfer JPG and RAW stills, and 1080p and 4K videos, and saves having to use up your P3P batteries just for transfer. Unfortunately, even though it will transfer the 4K video and RAW stills, which the Pilot app prohibits, the iPad still can't play the 4K videos. Bummer! Need a micro SD to mini SD card converter to use it, but most Micro SD cards come with one. Oh, and it won't work with the iPhone. Just iPads. So, if you have sufficient free iPad storage capacity, you can back up your memory cards in the field with it!

Last edited:
Great choice for importing to a computer. The Lexar Micro SD cards also all come with a free USB 3.0 micro card reader. Buy another 16 Gig Lexar 633x card for $16 and get one free. But it won't help with getting the files directly onto the iPad from the micro SD card. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...16gbb1nl633r_16gb_high_performance_uhs_i.html

Last edited:
Great choice for importing to a computer. The Lexar Micro SD cards also all come with a free USB 3.0 micro card reader. Buy another 16 Gig Lexar 633x card for $16 and get one free. But it won't help with getting the files directly onto the iPad from the micro SD card. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...16gbb1nl633r_16gb_high_performance_uhs_i.html

Ya I don't see how this would get pics/vids directly onto to my iPad. My current laptop has a built in SD card reader so this device would be a duplication.

I was just stoked to find something to get my shots onto my iPad and ultimately to my iPhone thru picture sharing. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106].

Best Buy is a joke. I've rarely gotten acceptable service there and their prices are always ridiculous.

Mark.

Ya I don't see how this would get pics/vids directly onto to my iPad. My current laptop has a built in SD card reader so this device would be a duplication.

I was just stoked to find something to get my shots onto my iPad and ultimately to my iPhone thru picture sharing. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106].

Best Buy is a joke. I've rarely gotten acceptable service there and their prices are always ridiculous.

Mark.
FYI: Best Buy will match any internet price. Take in a quote from B&H and they will match it, but you will have to pay sales tax. ;-)

View attachment 25171

Mark.
I have this same Apple card reader. I bought it from Best buy a couple of weeks ago and it is waaaaaay better that using the wireless download feature in the app. I highly recommend it. It only takes a couple of minutes to transfer a 5 minute 4k video to my iPad Air 2. It also probably helps that my sd card is the Extreme Plus XC I, U 3 version, which Best Buy also sells for 150, but price matched B&H's price of $60.

I have this same Apple card reader. I bought it from Best buy a couple of weeks ago and it is waaaaaay better that using the wireless download feature in the app. I highly recommend it. It only takes a couple of minutes to transfer a 5 minute 4k video to my iPad Air 2. It also probably helps that my sd card is the Extreme Plus XC I, U 3 version, which Best Buy also sells for 150, but price matched B&H's price of $60.
So, once you have your 4K video on the iPad, are you able to play it? They successfully transfer to my iPad Air 2, but they won't play. When I try to play them, the circle just spin and spins on a still frame but never actually shows any motion. Are you using the iPad Air only as a backup storage device for the 4K videos, until you can offload them later at home?

To be clear, this is not an SD card reader. It is an Apple Camera Connect Kit.,it is used specifically to allow you to connect your iPad to an SD card from a camera. It is VERY PARTICULAR about the file type, file name, and folder. In our case, the jpg and video files have the correct name and format. Once the DJI files are in your camera roll, you can use Pinnacle Studio for IPad to edit the video. Very powerful!
Just recognize the limitations and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Allclear
To be clear, this is not an SD card reader. It is an Apple Camera Connect Kit.,it is used specifically to allow you to connect your iPad to an SD card from a camera. It is VERY PARTICULAR about the file type, file name, and folder. In our case, the jpg and video files have the correct name and format. Once the DJI files are in your camera roll, you can use Pinnacle Studio for IPad to edit the video. Very powerful!
Any success in viewing the 4K video you've transferred prior to editing?

Any success in viewing the 4K video you've transferred prior to editing?
I have not tried 4k.....I have a P3A, so I have no access to 4K. If the iPad won't display 4k, I'm guessing it won't allow you to import them using the CCK. You cannot view the file using the CCK before importing it to the Camera Roll.
I was only trying to be clear the CCK will only allow you to load files that look like something a camera would produce. You can't import files downloaded from somewhere unless you make them look like they came from a camera. This is a common problem. The file must have the characteristic three letters, underscore, and 4 or 5 numbers. The file name can't be DJIvideofile.mp4 as an example. The file must be inside a folder labeled DCIM on the root directory. Any variation may cause your iPad not to read it. I'm guessing you could use Handbrake to convert the file to 1080P and then it would load into your iPad. Apple may add support to 4K in future iOS releases. I'm not knowledgable on 4K.

Reactions: JdotB
I have not tried 4k.....I have a P3A, so I have no access to 4K. If the iPad won't display 4k, I'm guessing it won't allow you to import them using the CCK. You cannot view the file using the CCK before importing it to the Camera Roll.
I was only trying to be clear the CCK will only allow you to load files that look like something a camera would produce. You can't import files downloaded from somewhere unless you make them look like they came from a camera. This is a common problem. The file must have the characteristic three letters, underscore, and 4 or 5 numbers. The file name can't be DJIvideofile.mp4 as an example. The file must be inside a folder labeled DCIM on the root directory. Any variation may cause your iPad not to read it. I'm guessing you could use Handbrake to convert the file to 1080P and then it would load into your iPad. Apple may add support to 4K in future iOS releases. I'm not knowledgable on 4K.
Thanks for the reply. I have the P3P and record all videos in the 4K format, and the CCK did actually successfully transfer 4K .MOV video files directly off the card from the DJI recorded folder structure. However, whenever I try to play the 4K video file from Photos, it just hangs, staying stuck on a still frame image. I am sure it also won't read RAW files, but will still transfer them, too. The Pilot app itself won't allow the transfer of either RAW stills or the 4K video, so I shouldn't be surprised. The 4K video didn't play well on my desktop either, until I downloaded a better video player. Nevertheless, the iPad is a great backup of the DJI micro SD card in the field, if needed, assuming one has the available space required on the iPad.

Wish you could play them off the Apple reader instead of having download the entire file to play it. 4k mov videos make me regret getting the 16 gig version of the air2 [emoji53]

I immediately upload all my 4K videos to a private YouTube account as unlisted so I can stream them to my iPads in 1080p, after adding an audio track. Just have to be sure to change the YouTube Quality setting to 1080p before playback on the iPad and iPhone 6+, as YouTube otherwise dumbs it down to an even lower playback quality. If I play the original uploaded 4K video files from YouTube on my desktop, YouTube will offer streaming the exact same file at 2140p, which is full 4K! However, if you make ANY changes to the original 4K upload, through the YouTube Editor, such as adding audio, or combining the multiple 4K files created from a single flight, or doubling the play speed and resaving, YouTube permanently converts your 4K video to a mere 1080p! Beware! Use an external 4K editor before uploading your 4K video to YouTube, to preserve the 4K video quality! :cool:

Last edited:

Thanks for the info. I'm really not surprised Apple would limit what files could and couldn't be transferred.

Mark.

Thanks for the info. I'm really not surprised Apple would limit what files could and couldn't be transferred.

Mark.
And which successfully transferred files can be played/displayed v. only stored (RAW stills and 4K video).

Nevertheless, the iPad is a great backup of the DJI micro SD card in the field, if needed, assuming one has the available space required on the iPad.
That's actually what I do when traveling. I have two iPads I take with me. One as my display when flying, and a second one for backup of all video and photos. I have a 64gb ipad2 and a128gb iPad Air, and two CCKs (30 pin and Lightning). I download all media files each night to one of the iPads using the CCK, and leave the original file on the micro sd cards. That way I have a duplicate just in case. Both iPads and sd cards typically come back at the end of a trip almost full.

That's actually what I do when traveling. I have two iPads I take with me. One as my display when flying, and a second one for backup of all video and photos. I have a 64gb ipad2 and a128gb iPad Air, and two CCKs (30 pin and Lightning). I download all media files each night to one of the iPads using the CCK, and leave the original file on the micro sd cards. That way I have a duplicate just in case. Both iPads and sd cards typically come back at the end of a trip almost full.
Great strategy! I also use an external card reader with its own 500GB hard disk that I used to use for my DSLR camera, which operates off its own battery. Putting in a new Micro SD card at every battery change is also prudent, so no prior videos are lost, if the drone is lost!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1