Theoritical RTH question

Reaction score
Hey all

I wanna ask this kind of question.

For example i fly far away and my drone lost signal with RC. After 5 seconds the RTH will kick in and drone will start to head home.

But the screen will be grey and rc wont be beeping as it does during manually pressed rth, correct?

So if i press rth at the same time after signal is lost. Will it cancell the rth that drone initiated itself because of 5 seconds no signal?

So its better after signal lost just to wait for the drone to come back?

Thx in advance

Sent from my SM-G900FD using PhantomPilots mobile app

So if i press rth at the same time after signal is lost. Will it cancell the rth
No. Nothing will happen since your remote controller is not connected to the Phantom. You will only be able to cancel the RTH if the remote controller connection is reestablished at some point.

No. Nothing will happen since your remote controller is not connected to the Phantom. You will only be able to cancel the RTH if the remote controller connection is reestablished at some point.
So what if rc gets reconnected but not video? So i wont kniw And i hit rth. Will it cancel it?

Sent from my SM-G900FD using PhantomPilots mobile app

I believe that if you lose signal and RTH kicks in automatically, the GO app will inform you that the RTH failsafe has activated and the drone is returning home. (as long as it is set in the app to return to home and not land or hover). If the signal is reestablished as it gets closer to you, then you can cancel RTH and take control if you want to. If you do nothing it will continue on it's way home. Losing video is not the same as losing the controller signal. If you have no video you can still see the orientation of the drone on the little screen with the arrow at the bottom and fly it back that way by following the course line.

The drone is pretty smart (sic) and as long as you don't panic you can bring it home one way or the other.

Since this is the Standard forum, I assume you have a P3S and don't have a RTH button on the remote. So the only button is the virtual button in the Go app. So it's either a "H" (RTH) or a "X" (cancel) button. If you're not pushing the "X", you're not going to cancel it by pushing the "H".

Last edited:
I believe that if you lose signal and RTH kicks in automatically, the GO app will inform you that the RTH failsafe has activated and the drone is returning home. (as long as it is set in the app to return to home and not land or hover). If the signal is reestablished as it gets closer to you, then you can cancel RTH and take control if you want to. If you do nothing it will continue on it's way home. Losing video is not the same as losing the controller signal. If you have no video you can still see the orientation of the drone on the little screen with the arrow at the bottom and fly it back that way by following the course line.

The drone is pretty smart (sic) and as long as you don't panic you can bring it home one way or the other.
Very good, I like it:)

Rod

So the telemetry data uses the same 2.4Ghz frequency as the video feed on the PS3. If you lose that link, I do not think your telemetry, including the location indicator in the bottom right hand corner of the DJI GO App will update. I had a similar situation where I lost signal and my video feed. Unit went into RTH mode but my controller never indicated that RTH mode had initiated and had red led for connection to AC. I started to panic after several minutes and tried to initiate an RTH incorrectly using the S1 switch, doh! This canceled the RTH the AC was in and it stopped and hovered. I still had No Signal, No Video and no indication of a connection to the AC on the controller. Now really concerned, I shutdown the controller, the AC resumed RTH and eventually came back into visual range and I re-established signal. So while my controller indicated it was not receiving a signal from my AC, the control signal was still being received by my AC at some range. I had no video or telemetry until it was back into visual range. Long story short, trust the AC to go into RTH if it loses signal and if you really, really aren't sure, kill the power to the controller.

See it happen here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yep, shutting down the controller forced the loss of signal on the AC, e.g. it was not receiving any signal from the controller.

Since this is the Standard forum, I assume you have a P3S and don't have a RTH button on the remote. So the only button is the virtual button in the Go app. So it's either a "H" (RTH) or a "X" (cancel) button. If you're not pushing the "X", you're not going to cancel it by pushing the "H".

Is the standard the same as a 4K controlled wise? Because I have a RTH button but mines a 4K

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

So the telemetry data uses the same 2.4Ghz frequency as the video feed on the PS3. If you lose that link, I do not think your telemetry, including the location indicator in the bottom right hand corner of the DJI GO App will update. I had a similar situation where I lost signal and my video feed. Unit went into RTH mode but my controller never indicated that RTH mode had initiated and had red led for connection to AC. I started to panic after several minutes and tried to initiate an RTH incorrectly using the S1 switch, doh! This canceled the RTH the AC was in and it stopped and hovered. I still had No Signal, No Video and no indication of a connection to the AC on the controller. Now really concerned, I shutdown the controller, the AC resumed RTH and eventually came back into visual range and I re-established signal. So while my controller indicated it was not receiving a signal from my AC, the control signal was still being received by my AC at some range. I had no video or telemetry until it was back into visual range. Long story short, trust the AC to go into RTH if it loses signal and if you really, really aren't sure, kill the power to the controller.

See it happen here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Even when I've lost RC signal I have used the S2 switch to start the RTH because a few time I've received an "RTH failed" message at the same time as the "NO signal" message, odd. But the S2 switch worked every time. Now on something else you said in the first line about the video and telemetry being both on 2.4Ghz. Even though they are on the same frequency doesn't mean if you lose one you will lose the other. They are still two different data streams being downlinked.

Is the standard the same as a 4K controlled wise? Because I have a RTH button but mines a 4K

As you might have seen from the link above, the P3S RC is different. Your 4K is just like the Standard, except has a better camera and the RC is more like the Advance.

As you might have seen from the link above, the P3S RC is different. Your 4K is just like the Standard, except has a better camera and the RC is more like the Advance.

I saw. Sorry if I seem dense, I am quite new to all this Lol

Even when I've lost RC signal I have used the S2 switch to start the RTH because a few time I've received an "RTH failed" message at the same time as the "NO signal" message, odd. But the S2 switch worked every time. Now on something else you said in the first line about the video and telemetry being both on 2.4Ghz. Even though they are on the same frequency doesn't mean if you lose one you will lose the other. They are still two different data streams being downlinked.

If the AC is already in RTH mode and you toggle the S2 switch, does that cancel it? As for the two different data streams (video and telemetry) on the 2.4Ghz frequency, if the signal strength overall is too weak for the controller to receive, both data streams would be impacted. They are not multiplexed but restricted to 2.4 Ghz. Neither one has more preference or better range than the other.

On the first, will the S2 switch cancel a RTH if in the middle of one? I would think not as the S1 switch service that function. I've never tested this, but it would make sense it wouldn't because if you were trying to start the RTH using the S2 switch it would start, then stop it if you kept at the toggling. Would defeat the whole purpose of it. Next, I disagree that one couldn't have a slightly better range. Mostly because I've had it happen to me and have read other posts stating the same. Having the telemetry while losing the video. Think about it, video is going to need more bandwidth than text data, so it makes sense it could go first.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.