Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

The Wild, Wild West of the Drone vs the FAA

Discussion in 'News' started by Centralcoast, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Centralcoast

Ever since I started flying the Phantom about a year ago, I've been trying to get some clarity on what are the regulations and resulting implications of flying the Phantom. I found this a pretty good summary of where the FAA stands or doesn't stand concerning flying practices of this and other UAV's (UAS, Drone). [urlhttp://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/weathermatrix/quadcopters-commercial-use-and-faa-restrictions/19485832][/url]

2. CaptainChet

I you search long and hard enough, you can find something to support whatever side you wish to take in this insanity of FAA and the Drone!

3. pbleic

I would be cautious seeking clarity from someone who posted a YouTube video of a quadcopter flight at 2,000 feet.

4. Centralcoast

This seems to be the case.

5. Centralcoast

The author seemed to cover most of the arguments concerning the FAA and use of drones. If you have a reference you prefer to use, I would enjoy reading it.

While I agree that flying a drone at 2000 feet can interfere with airspace, so can flying a drone at 100 feet near a runway pose the exact same problem. Without clear FAA regulations and licensing by the FAA, it's still the Wild West when it comes to drone flight and airspace.