The Ultimate DJI Phantom Setup - Your input please!

Reaction score
Hi all!

So I've just sold my first ever Phantom, which I bought second hand with a bunch of extra's for quite a bargain of a price! (AU$300!)

It has allowed me to learn the basics of how to operate/fly one of these awesomely "Out of the box" capable DJI Phantom's at a price that I could live with had it all gone pear shaped - especially knowing that I was going to crash it, multiple times (**** tree's just jump right in front of it I swear!) and possibly (but didn't luckily!) lose it in a moment of getting my ambitions mixed up with my confidence!

One of the reasons I got it so cheap though was because there was a fault in the GPS/Return to home/Calibration function - which meant that there was no point me hanging the expensive Carbon Fibre 3D gimble/GoPro setup off the bottom and flights were limited to within visual (and directional orientation) distances and altitudes of the aircraft. There were a number of very tense moments where I am glad my calm level head prevailed - and resulted in my Phantom returning to my hands to live another day!

Anyway, so now that I am confident enough in my own capability to control the aircraft reasonably well (We never stop learning though do we?) and I am satisfied that I am at a point where I am ready to learn some more advanced navigation features and take that next step of hanging some expensive FPV equipment off it and put my faith in the ability of the Phantom failsafe/Return To Home functions with "out of visual range" flights, I'm ready to upgrade and spend some serious money on this addictive little hobby :)

SOOOOOOO - I managed to sell my Phantom for a profit, despite being damaged (last crash bent an arm out of alignment and basically required a new main body replacement to get it back to health) - but it is still less than half of what a really basic "no frills" Phantom 2 costs from what I have initially seen!
All good, patience is a virtue!

What I am looking for some input from you guys on is - The Ultimate Phantom.
I'm going to bide my time before I just go out and buy my next Phantom - and I don't mind spending the $$$ to do this right now that I am confident as explained above. I would like to achieve the best possible performance in the following (Yes I know everyone wants the same lol):

(Keeping in mind that I am a recreational flyer/operator and looking for straight out performance gains that suit this, as opposed to a professional video/photography oriented requirement)

* Increased Thrust/Power (SO I'm open to aftermarket motors if they are available and will significantly increase this with consideration of the following also)
* Increased Flight Time
* Increased Operational Range (height/distance)
* Increased Lift capability (but without compromising on the "standard" flight time eg. If I am utilizing the extra performance granted by say, after market engines for an increased TOW, then I'm happy to sacrifice any flight time increases provided above and beyond the standard "off the shelf" figures that are iin turn provided by these mods)

All the other Unicorn stuff of course too hahaha

Look, I'm well aware these are the fantasy's goals and missions of every drone owner so I aren't expecting miracles, but if there is a
"aftermarket modifcations combination formula" to achieve this as harmoniously as possible, then this would be a good opportunity/thread for people to post their itemized "dream phantom rigs" (explainations of each bit and what they achieve toward the goals would be helpful too!)

Thanks for reading and thanks for the input and advice!

If that's what you're after, why stick with the Phantom? Why not go with the F450 or better? You could use more powerful batteries and larger props.
(You could, of course, transfer all the electronics from a Phantom to a F450 frame, but other electronics are cheaper and better in some ways.)

Go pro 4, zenny h3 3d, fplvr stage 4, light bridge

If I read it right, you want performance 1st and all else 2nd, right?

Ok 1st thing you should do is move across the street from me because we have a similar set of wants. :cool:

*The new Upgraded Vision +

The new Upgraded vPlus is a great foundation to get you started. It has better props with 4.5" pitch, larger motors add 200g thrust per axis, better ESC's and Compass, then add the boost app "Vision + Utility Pro" and then upgrade the antennas on the quad, controller, and range extender, and you will have a impressive combo. At least use a tablet for better viewing and I'm not sure what else you could want with this package. I would think this would give you TONS more then you ever had. This setup would be hard to beat. You could add a lightbridge which adds a large expense to have a little clearer video.

I do altitude records and top speed flights while using Flytrex live flight logger to keep it fun. You get badges for accomplishments while competing with others from around the world. This link shows the current Top Speed pilots. http://www.flytrex.com/challenges/speed/

Their front page will help show more etails on the "Flytrex Live" that I mentioned. http://www.flytrex.com/

Let me know if you need help in any way.

flyNfrank

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.