The red Highlights on Objects?

Reaction score
Help guys, is the red outline around objects from the focus assist button being on? Or is what the Object Avoidance is seeing? I looked for it in the quickstart guide but nothing on it. I'm sure it's in a Youtube piece but have not found it yet.

Help guys, is the red outline around objects from the focus assist button being on? Or is what the Object Avoidance is seeing? I looked for it in the quickstart guide but nothing on it. I'm sure it's in a Youtube piece but have not found it yet.
That's your focus peaking...red outline means it's in focus

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog
Super ricphoto. That's what I thought but wanted to make sure. Been so cold here Ive only flown it about 5 or 6 flight's. Hard to stand out in the cold and go through menus turning things on and off to find out if that's what it is. LOL. Thanks man.

Super ricphoto. That's what I thought but wanted to make sure. Been so cold here Ive only flown it about 5 or 6 flight's. Hard to stand out in the cold and go through menus turning things on and off to find out if that's what it is. LOL. Thanks man.
a fun exercise for you:

set the f-stop at 2.8 and manual focus back and forth to see how the focus field changes...then run up through your other f-stops to see the increase in depth of field at each stop...do it a few times and you'll start to get a mental image of how much DOF you get at each stop and where your focus point should be...
(Just a reminder: depth of field is 1/3 in front of and 2/3 behind your focus point)

Good practice for sure. It's just a little diff to see the minute diff between A and B on even a big Ipad. Guess I need to put my glasses on. LOL. And yes, def know the focus on front 1/3 rule too. Your good man. Appreciate the help too.

If you have red highlights on objects this is Focus Peaking, not Focus Assist. If Focus Assist is enabled, then the camera image will zoom into the area you tapped to focus on. In contrast, Focus Peaking will show you what is currently in focus with red highlights. Very helpful now that you have to tap to focus. Look under the General Settings menu: you can set it to 70/80/90%. I prefer 90%. It shows you what is in focus without overwhelming the image.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

If you have red highlights on objects this is Focus Peaking, not Focus Assist. If Focus Assist is enabled, then the camera image will zoom into the area you tapped to focus on. In contrast, Focus Peaking will show you what is currently in focus with red highlights. Very helpful now that you have to tap to focus. Look under the General Settings menu: you can set it to 70/80/90%. I prefer 90%. It shows you what is in focus without overwhelming the image.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Super Rom3oDelta7! Now that you say that I did see a Youtube piece that went over this briefly. So is it either or then as far as Focus Peaking or Focus assist go? Or do you have both enabled? Thanks so much!

Super Rom3oDelta7! Now that you say that I did see a Youtube piece that went over this briefly. So is it either or then as far as Focus Peaking or Focus assist go? Or do you have both enabled? Thanks so much!

Yes, you can turn both on and they operate independently. I keep both of these features enabled most of the time.

I also believe the Focus Peaking is not true focus peaking. It rather shows high contrasty edges and it tend to show it even if theres no focus there. It can work, but it can also be misleading. I wouldn't rely on it! Use Focus Assist and your head to decide whether or not somethings in focus.

Some distance numbers in meters on that focus wheel in Manual would be really helpful..

I also believe the Focus Peaking is not true focus peaking. It rather shows high contrasty edges and it tend to show it even if theres no focus there. It can work, but it can also be misleading. I wouldn't rely on it! Use Focus Assist and your head to decide whether or not somethings in focus.

If it always shows contrasty edges, then this may indeed be the case. I'll pay attention to this next time I'm out in the field. I wonder if the camera uses phase detection or contrast detection for focusing?

a fun exercise for you:

set the f-stop at 2.8 and manual focus back and forth to see how the focus field changes...then run up through your other f-stops to see the increase in depth of field at each stop...do it a few times and you'll start to get a mental image of how much DOF you get at each stop and where your focus point should be...
(Just a reminder: depth of field is 1/3 in front of and 2/3 behind your focus point)

I was hoping you might could help me please.... Would you please consider looking at my post under CAMERAS and VIDEOS regarding RED SPLOTCHY PICTURES and my drone... My Phantom 4 has started taking red splotchy pictures.... Its a new drone...

Attachments

• DJI_0002.JPG
    DJI_0002.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 390
I was hoping you might could help me please.... Would you please consider looking at my post under CAMERAS and VIDEOS regarding RED SPLOTCHY PICTURES and my drone... My Phantom 4 has started taking red splotchy pictures.... Its a new drone...
That's really strange...I don't think I've ever seen image corruption like that.
Have you checked with DJI? Try posting over at the DJI P4 forum and see if they can't accelerate an answer for you...Though they'll probably just tell you to send it in...
If it's a new drone I'd return it ASAP...sorry I couldn't be more help

Have you tried a diff card reader? Have you formatted the card at computer and on the aircraft through the software as well? Just a stab in the dark. Have you tried different sd cards in the bird? Is this a P4? Or a P4Pro?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.