The P1 is still a lot of bang for the buck

Reaction score
For those new to drones considering a Phantom on a budget or not really needing to go with a 2 or 3 yet....
Here's a little video of what you can get with a P1...with no gimbal and no FPV. I did install flytrex core 2 for the altitude info mainly. Camera is an "Original" SJ4000

Nothing "epic" here, just having fun with a P1
If you just want to get some occasional aerial video and aren't necessarily needing long range, FPV or extensive telemetry and flight data....P1 might work well for you. The data you see at the top is flytrex data overlayed with dashware.

Vimeo won't show HD unless you go to their site so you wont see the hi-res version here unfortunately. I didn't know that until I tried to look at it here.

Thunderstorms at dusk

Last edited:
Reactions: kjar211 and n4uxy
Nice video.... distant lightning makes it kind of eeire....;)

I think I might try Flytrex for my P1.1.1 and Mobius camera.

Should I look for a particular version of Flytrex?

Any buying tips?

Reactions: JKDSensei
Thanks Pilot_FML. Some people think you have to have an Inspire or P3 to have fun with this hobby. Not. Even though the P3 is a lot of fun with all the bells and whistles :)

I would get the Core 2. I think it's the same no matter what Phantom you have. The difference is the cable. Just get the Naza M V2 cable. Install was easy. Just open the shell, disconnect GPS cable from Naza plug that into the Flytrex cable, plug the flytrex cable into the Naza run the flytrex small connector out the Phantom (I drilled a small hole), stick the Flytrex on the shell, close it up, test, you're done. :)

All I really wanted was to know how high I had gone.

I purchased mine off ebay. Some place in California I think.

Post back if you do.

Thanks Pilot_FML. Some people think you have to have an Inspire or P3 to have fun with this hobby. Not. Even though the P3 is a lot of fun with all the bells and whistles :)

I would get the Core 2. I think it's the same no matter what Phantom you have. The difference is the cable. Just get the Naza M V2 cable. Install was easy. Just open the shell, disconnect GPS cable from Naza plug that into the Flytrex cable, plug the flytrex cable into the Naza run the flytrex small connector out the Phantom (I drilled a small hole), stick the Flytrex on the shell, close it up, test, you're done. :)

All I really wanted was to know how high I had gone.

I purchased mine off ebay. Some place in California I think.

Post back if you do.

Thanks for the feedback ... I'll check out the Flytrex website and see what they offer.

For those new to drones considering a Phantom on a budget or not really needing to go with a 2 or 3 yet....
Here's a little video of what you can get with a P1...with no gimbal and no FPV. I did install flytrex core 2 for the altitude info mainly. Camera is an "Original" SJ4000

Nothing "epic" here, just having fun with a P1
If you just want to get some occasional aerial video and aren't necessarily needing long range, FPV or extensive telemetry and flight data....P1 might work well for you. The data you see at the top is flytrex data overlayed with dashware.

Vimeo won't show HD unless you go to their site so you wont see the hi-res version here unfortunately. I didn't know that until I tried to look at it here.

Thunderstorms at dusk
After reading all the horror stories about the new model drones there's no way that I would trade my P1 for a newer drone . Flight service control has been 100%
new subject:
I am woundering where are drone pilot's brains ?
Not only are they doing things to in danger people and property but the hobby in general. Like many of you I to have been in RC for a long time and one thing you should not do is take a chance! Stay over the field and don't fly over the spectators.
After all theses are the folks you are trying to impress! someone?
Quit giving theses drone operators praise for doing stupid things!
Are you an operator or you a Pilot ?
Sorry if I offended anybody but I love this hobby and I would hate to see it go away because we did stood by and did nothing about it.
Mark my word down , this will come to pass if we don't wake up and start policing our own hobby !
News Flash!! Drone flys into path of flight XXXX passengers and crew all lost and many killed on ground .
How are you going to feel about that?

The FAA seems pointed in a direction that gives them greater control of the skies with regards to model aircraft and it seems certain that all the irresponsible drone operators are doing their damned best to insure the FAA gets that authority asap.

Is it totally impossible that laws will change and future consumer drones will devolve back to be more like the P1 ?

I do know for certain that the FAA does not like FPV for RC aircraft because it's the primary enabler for long range consumer drone flights. Only time will tell.

I could possibly see future FPV hardware being restricted to a power output that would restrict range to maybe 400 - 500 feet. Such as anything above about 150mW or so being illegal.

Similar to what they did to CB radios back when

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj