The one factor in between choosing the Typhoon H or P4

Reaction score
And the thing that has me on the fence is Lightbridge and WiFi, with the P4 having Lightbridge and the TH having the WiFi. From what I have read the Lightbridge would seem to be heaven sent and take care of any distance/connection issues. With that being said though, the very first sticky post in this forum would seem to indicate that even with Lightbridge people are having distance/connection issues. At first the deal killer on the Typhoon H was the 400 ft altitude limit, but I now know that is just out of the box setting and can be changed to allow for more altitude

How about the fact that the Typhoon H can only travel at a max speed of 22 mph (10 meters per second) The Phantom 4 travels at that speed when obstacle avoidance is turned on but can be switched to Sport mode to cover ground faster when Obstacle Avoidance is not needed.

Typhoon H has a wider field of view so the images will be more distorted (like a Phantom 2 Vision + or GoPro VS the Phantom 3 Or Phantom 4)

Typhoon H is not available yet, Phantom 4 is.

Typhoon H has a 7" monitor built into the controller so you have no option of what size display to use. I personally love my 9.7" iPad Pro.

FPV only works up to 400 meters. That is optimal conditions and I can tell you that the Phantom 4 can go at least 4 or 5 times farther than that in optimal conditions. Check the thread about distance records and there are people doing more than 2000 meters stock. I personally have flown more than 2 miles out stock no problem. 1 mile in urban areas with lots of trees and interference.

Accessories are more readily available for the Phantom 4

The bottom line is the Typhoon H is not available yet. There could very well be a Phantom 5 out by the time the Typhoon H is released.

the choice is up to you.
get the one that suits you and don't worry about what other
people are saying about this one or that one.
decide on the one that you want and go buy it.
That is the thing, the Typhoon H is not available yet so he can't go buy it.

I saw this on YouTube in regards to the Typhoon. You might want to give it time before purchasing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MikeK
He's not the only person who pronounces it this way so not so sure

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

And the thing that has me on the fence is Lightbridge and WiFi, with the P4 having Lightbridge and the TH having the WiFi. From what I have read the Lightbridge would seem to be heaven sent and take care of any distance/connection issues. With that being said though, the very first sticky post in this forum would seem to indicate that even with Lightbridge people are having distance/connection issues. At first the deal killer on the Typhoon H was the 400 ft altitude limit, but I now know that is just out of the box setting and can be changed to allow for more altitude

For me its all the 3rd party app's that I would miss the most.

There are many discussions on the Yuneec forum comparing the P4 and the TH.
Needless to say they are rather sensitive over there when you point out the difference.

One guy says he needed panorama mode and call Yuneec to see if it had it, they said no.
Asked them if they are going to put out a SDK (software development kit) like DJI does
for 3rd party app's and they said no plans for it.

So your stuck with what software is built into the controller.

The H is still an interesting bird with the 6 motors, retractable landing gear and 360 camera.

The distance/connection issues being discussed (cried about, ranted about...) with the 720p Lightbridge are far beyond ranges that the low resolution Wifi will approach. If my range info is accurate.

The Lightbridge technology just rocks. I was out over 7,000' tonight, with a tree and a house across the steet complicating LOS, and lots of potential interference in the area. I had to get up to 400' to get this good, and I was experimenting by using my P3P remote, rumored to be 20% more powerful.

I'm any case, Lightbridge would still force me into the Phantom. It's incredible. HD, and when you have a good signal rock solid. Zero static. I've never even seen any.

Reactions: maseman88
the choice is up to you.
get the one that suits you and don't worry about what other
people are saying about this one or that one.
decide on the one that you want and go buy it.

I accidentally gave this a thumbs up. I meant 10 thumbs down. He's asking for advice about what will best suit him, and you're telling him to disregard the advice, and get the one that he isn't sure of.

I might say to expect some Phantom bias asking a Phantom forum. That said the Sports Mode, and the still kick *** Lightbridge would make the choice easy for me. The Phantom 4 really is an amazing piece of work.

How about the fact that the Typhoon H can only travel at a max speed of 22 mph (10 meters per second) The Phantom 4 travels at that speed when obstacle avoidance is turned on but can be switched to Sport mode to cover ground faster when Obstacle Avoidance is not needed.

Typhoon H has a wider field of view so the images will be more distorted (like a Phantom 2 Vision + or GoPro VS the Phantom 3 Or Phantom 4)

Typhoon H has a 7" monitor built into the controller so you have no option of what size display to use. I personally love my 9.7" iPad Pro.

FPV only works up to 400 meters. That is optimal conditions and I can tell you that the Phantom 4 can go at least 4 or 5 times farther than that in optimal conditions. Check the thread about distance records and there are people doing more than 2000 meters stock. I personally have flown more than 2 miles out stock no problem. 1 mile in urban areas with lots of trees and interference.

The bottom line is the Typhoon H is not available yet. There could very well be a Phantom 5 out by the time the Typhoon H is released.

That's all correct, and pretty tough to argue with. Other than the fact the Typhoon H isn't available yet, and may have initial bugs when it is, I CAN play devil's advocate.

How will the retractable landing gear, and 360 degree rotating camera improve it on its mission of taking quality video and photos? How is the camera quality compared to the Phantom 4?

I love to video scenic epic multi-mile journeys. Throw in some 60 mph low level footage (Sport Mode 45 mph with a tailwind. I see 60+ all the time.) in, and it floats my boat.

BUT, I guess I see the "what best suits your needs" comment on a better light. If I were dedicated to just taking Real Estate photos, 400m range, a lower resolution picture on a smallish dedicated monitor might still allow me more than enough information for good composition. And then if the other features, like the camera, and features that allow it to be used to its fullest, are good enough, that could swing it.

I didn't like reading about the wide field of view. It may be portrayed as a feature, but it can keep video from being usable without post processing (or extra, on top of what's already being done). A wide field of view (fisheye) actually makes a fixed aperture, fixed focal length (no focus) EASIER to design! But if the camera as a whole is much better than the P4, then it could be better suited to a real estate photographer.

From what I've been reading, I'm glad I have the P4 though. :) Good luck. Having choices this good is a good thing.

P4 is way way more sturdy, typhoon folding arms are real cute to store but how long will those pivots last and on impact will probable snap off. Rotating gimbal would be good if you had 2 pilots. Distance on P4, well a few day's ago I flew over 12000 feet with all bars and perfect video, could have gone further but chickened out ( next time). Came back with a good wind helping me and I hit 74mph. I though I had gone 59 but after checking the log it was 74mph.

I'm actually beginning to doubt we will ever see the "H" in the north American market...I guess we will see what happens with the lawsuit between DJI and Yuneec. I think DJI has a pretty strong case but time will tell. If DJI does win I think it will cripple Yuneec in NA and even though I have no love for Yuneec (no hate either) it will give DJI control of the market and that doesn't do any of us hobbyists any good for the short term. What we really need is a new player to come to the table with something "game changing" to keep things interesting.

Reactions: Isa Aydin
Typhoon H is kind of cross between P4 and Inspire. It would be nice if both craft had high range capabilities out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

you pays your dollar and you take your choice.

The P5 will be nowhere near ready when the Typhoon H is released.

There are inherent benefits to each. As someone (myself) that will not only have the H, but I'll have one of the first ones as they roll out, possibly even an early one, I can say that I have no dog in the race.

There is no question that there have been some issues with the P4 but I can also guarantee that there will be issues with the H.

It is my THEORY that the P4 was released a little early and while early adopters should expect a certain amount of issues, they are too many and too important to have been rolled out like it was. That said, they seem to slowly but surely working their way to a mostly good production line but buy from Apple or Best Buy and if you get a bad one, you bring it back. Simple as that.

As for the 22mph, that's fine for me. You need to know your desires and if it doesn't meet them, that's fine but if you ask a Phantom forum about what you should do, well you're going to get a skewed response. I would suggest going to RCGroups to ask the questions you are seeking,

I would keep in mind that DJI makes not only the Phantom but a bunch of other products including the flight boards, ESCs and motors that are used and trusted within not only the photography community, but also the hobbyist DYI community.

DJI is still the most innovative company when it comes to UASs. Yuneec is definitely making strong strides towards chipping away at the monopoly and I keep waiting for that thing to show up at my door but I would rather them work out kinks than turn out a shotty product. I mean, DJI should probably releasing the P4 right now. It might have been a finanicial short term bad decision but in my opinion htey have caused some irrepurable harm from both old and new customers. The older clients have been around long enough to know that DJI is a quality company when it comes to parts and non-DIY as well and Yuneec are flat out not using components that are as quality as the DJI line but who if you don't assemble those quality components well or are an engineer where you can fix things yourself, it's best if the machine you get works. The P4 is definitely getting better from the line but it's not perfect, and neither will the H.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20