The latest first flight thread

Reaction score
I got my Phantom 3 Advanced a few days ago, but I was waiting until today to actually fly it. In the mean time I have been reading this forum and asking questions. I still have plenty to learn.

I decided to start off with all the latest software, so I upgraded everything. All went well. All I did was carefully follow directions and it worked

I did read about so many people having issues with the new remote control software. Reduced distance seems the most common. That is actually one of the reasons I chose to update first. I didn't want to fly with the software it came with to then be disappointed when I updated. Updating first means I have nothing to compare, so maybe ignorance is bliss?

I only have one battery so my first time was quick. Just like high school! Sorry, had to! I had no issues at all that I can tell. Now I will study the flight in the app and get ready to go again.

I can already see why people get addicted and spend spend spend.

How many batteries does everyone have? I know I need at least 2, but maybe three since I am now learning how frustrating it is to wait for my battery to cool down and recharge!

Reactions: Oso
One more thing. It was so hard to see the screen on my ipad. Much harder than I was expecting. I see why sunshades are mandatory. What do you all use?

Reactions: JoBe
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447536096.405415.jpg

Go with 5 batteries! I'm rotating them often on a long shoot. And get a PadHat. With a 70% slope, you get no reflection.

Reactions: snerd and JoBe
I got my Phantom 3 Advanced a few days ago, but I was waiting until today to actually fly it. In the mean time I have been reading this forum and asking questions. I still have plenty to learn.

I decided to start off with all the latest software, so I upgraded everything. All went well. All I did was carefully follow directions and it worked

I did read about so many people having issues with the new remote control software. Reduced distance seems the most common. That is actually one of the reasons I chose to update first. I didn't want to fly with the software it came with to then be disappointed when I updated. Updating first means I have nothing to compare, so maybe ignorance is bliss?

I only have one battery so my first time was quick. Just like high school! Sorry, had to! I had no issues at all that I can tell. Now I will study the flight in the app and get ready to go again.

I can already see why people get addicted and spend spend spend.

How many batteries does everyone have? I know I need at least 2, but maybe three since I am now learning how frustrating it is to wait for my battery to cool down and recharge!
I was wondering if you went out today, so I'm glad you posted and that you had no issues.

I have three batteries which works well for me right now. At first I thought I needed more, but as it turned out I don't fly as much or as long as I first expected that I would. As such, three is good for me. I suggest you get one more battery, but then maybe wait to get a 3rd and 4th until you're sure you'll use them. They are so expensive!

I was wondering if you went out today, so I'm glad you posted and that you had no issues.

I have three batteries which works well for me right now. At first I thought I needed more, but as it turned out I don't fly as much or as long as I first expected that I would. As such, three is good for me. I suggest you get one more battery, but then maybe wait to get a 3rd and 4th until you're sure you'll use them. They are so expensive!
Hey you were a big help. Thanks. Good idea about the batteries. I may need to prioritize my spending.

Reactions: Oso
I bought an extra battery when i purchased my P3P. Wife bought me an extra battery a while ago. I'm also in need of a sunshade. I use a Ipad air 2 and was looking at this model.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VWG7KZO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01

I'm sure you can make one cheap but those are not bad prices. I've also purchased one of these,

Foldable Fishing Sun Umbrella Hiking Golf Camping Headwear Cap Head Hats Outdoor
I heard that an Air 2 does not need a shade. Not true?

Shoot for 4 batteries minimum. I ordered extra when they were hard to find, thinking I might get half what I ordered. Wound up with 6!! Also agree on the PadHat........... it works very well.

I find three batteries are plenty, I can charge in a vehicle from an inverter but almost never do unless maybe one wasn't charged when I set off.
Actually 90% of the time two would be enough, but having only one is very limiting as I found for several weeks in the spring when they were almost impossible to get,

Here you can go weeks without reasonably flying conditions e.g. this month has been practically incessant gales or rain or fog, really don't want to be thinking about these high cost batteries gradually declining performance sitting unused even kept at optimum 50%. Even with three that's annoying.

I have four intelligent flight batteries and two 100w chargers. I only wish that the @dji hard shell back pack held another one or two batteries.

RedHotPoker

I find three batteries are plenty, I can charge in a vehicle from an inverter but almost never do unless maybe one wasn't charged when I set off.
Actually 90% of the time two would be enough, but having only one is very limiting as I found for several weeks in the spring when they were almost impossible to get,

Here you can go weeks without reasonably flying conditions e.g. this month has been practically incessant gales or rain or fog, really don't want to be thinking about these high cost batteries gradually declining performance sitting unused even kept at optimum 50%. Even with three that's annoying.
If you have an iOS device, use the Phantom SIM, to work on battery run down. It's better than looking out the window. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair