The first few of many to be asked questions :)

Reaction score
Noobie Alert :)

Ok, so the P3 Professional arrives tomorrow, and I have some questions that seem valid before I even start to unbox it :)

Blade Guards, seem a fantastic idea.. I have seen a few videos with them on and on the odd occasion they pop into the film your recording, but even so, I think they might be a "Must Fit" item, so any views on these please, and are there specific ones to get?

Next question, and the last for tonight, seen this statement a few times..........

"My Phantom blades just stopped and it fell from the sky!"

Mhhh, I have in my distance past flown R/C Helicopters, not to any great degree of skill I will point out, but I did get my Flight Licence from the local club, as we had to learn the nose away manoeuvres before we were allowed to take to the clubs field on out own!

These were a stable hover, around 6ft off the ground, then move it away from you around 20 feet, back to you, all with the nose facing away from you, then a T manoeuvre, left to right, nose away, then squares, and the Helicopter back then was a Thunder Tiger Raptor (Nitro) so were talking 14 years ago now I would think

Off topic a little, but suffice to say I have in the last year or so just messed with a Blade Micro Heli, and a Simulator, and I haven't lost the skills I had, just everything nice an gentle

So I read about blades stopping, and "fly aways" and wonder if these are Pilot errors?

If the blades stop spinning, would I be right in assuming that its a fail-safe, like in my Nitro Days, lose control you really could kill someone! are there defaults within the P3 that look at what your doing, maybe determine that the Quad is flying at to steep and angle in decent, is at risk of hitting something or someone, so it shuts the power off??

Or is is that there is a specific stick travel, again like I have been used to, that would cut the power to the rotors and stop it flying?

Things I need to know before I start to learn to fly I feel, I want to be a safe flyer, and these aren't designed for 3D flying, level flight and stable is what my understanding is, that's why the camera moves isn't it, so the vehicle is stable?

Any thoughts please would be appreciated

Chris

Hey Chris and welcome, blade guards may seem like a good idea but to be honest you really shouldn't fly close enough to anything to hit it, get out in big wide open space while you are learning for the first month or two. Make sure you read the manual a few times before flying and go through the forum and ask as many questions as possible. Learn how to calibrate the compass, calibrate the imu, marking your homepoint, the difference between gps and atti mode. Take your time when starting off, try not panic, if your mind and hands don't coordinate while flying normally just taking your hands off the sticks will bring your p3 to a stop and hover if in gps mode. There are loads of other things but that's a start I'm sure others will chime in. Oh and CSC, learn about it, there's a lot of posts lately on it. Once you know about it, it isn't a big deal but seems really scary to new pilots. Have fun, if people jump down your throat just smile and don't take it to heart.

Regarding "my blades stopped and ........", do a search on CSC.
It is Combination Stick Command and is probably what you've seen. It is used to start the motors and will also stop them, even in the air. It is a safety feature although some would argue that. It has come up a lot the past couple of weeks. Just understand what it is and you'll be fine. Not something you're likely to do in normal flight. Do not use it to stop the motors after you land, it's been known to cause a tip over if your timing is not just right. Just bring the throttle all the way down and they will stop in 3 seconds.

What you described as your training for your license would be a good start for for the Phantom.

Spend some (a lot) of time with the manual and YouTube. Have fun!

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
Hi Chris
I'm new too mine is in transit, where are you from.
Like you I also thought about prop guards I bought mine from DJI.
I also bought a gimbal fix and camera guard from Amazon about £30 for both but some people on here think it's money well spent.

I can't wait to fly it and have read the manual/ watched videos so many times ha can't wait to see first videos of yours.

Jon

What the hell is going on here? One noob is asking questions prior to receiving his bird and then another has RTFM before getting his.

Holy crap! There is hope. :D

What the hell is going on here? One noob is asking questions prior to receiving his bird and then another has RTFM before getting his.

Haha Marlin009 what else is there to do with such long lead times ha.

I have a question though can't see to find the answer anywhere , say for example if a motor failed does the other 3 compensate ? Like in an aircraft ? I don't think it would but worth an ask

Haha Marlin009 what else is there to do with such long lead times ha.

I have a question though can't see to find the answer anywhere , say for example if a motor failed does the other 3 compensate ? Like in an aircraft ? I don't think it would but worth an ask

I did the same thing waiting for my P2. People tell me I'm a little bit ****.

Unfortunately, no. The others can't compensate, it's coming down.

Haha the sky is falling in!
Ah crap well here's 2 new flyers that I can't flame with all my rtfm memes. If we get more sensible new flyers I might have to go into retirement :D
it is refreshing to see all the same :)

I did the same thing waiting for my P2. People tell me I'm a little bit ****.

Unfortunately, no. The others can't compensate, it's coming down.

Thought so but at least you can prove it failed with in warranty. Well hopefully.

Do you fly with your phone unable to receive calls like airplane mode (iOS) with wife enabled as would have thought that would cause an issues when the app gets interrupted

Yep if one prop or motor goes shes gonna come down to earth like a very expensive spinning brick

Thought so but at least you can prove it failed with in warranty. Well hopefully.

Do you fly with your phone unable to receive calls like airplane mode (iOS) with wife enabled as would have thought that would cause an issues when the app gets interrupted
If you use a tablet you won't have phone interruptions and have the benefit of a bigger screen. Don't worry about a motor blowing its a very very rare occurrence

I don't have a vision so no phone involved. Someone will answer that though. I would think so but???

Yeah theres always an influx of "flyaways, crashes and how dare dji sell me this POS" in the few months after dji release a new drone we see it all the time unfortunately. You 2 guys are on the right path though, you're asking before flying which is a major boost to your flying days. My 2 sayings are "the phantom is ready to fly out of the box but you arent" and when you have learned the basics and get the confidence up "fly her like you stole her, treat every flight as if it's her last" because someday she won't come home in one piece. When it happen you will feel like a ball of **** but dust yourself off after a day or 2, order a new one and get back in the saddle. It becomes more of an addiction than a hobby and the joy your phantom will bring will far outweigh the bad. Also think of this forum as a big old family, there will be bickering but at the end of the day none of us like hearing of crashes and we rally around when we hear bad news. If someone gives you crap (which could be me with a funny meme btw) just laugh and don't take it personally. Plenty of very good decent skins in here.
There are no stupid questions if you don't know the answer

Reactions: Marlin009
If you use a tablet you won't have phone interruptions and have the benefit of a bigger screen. Don't worry about a motor blowing its a very very rare occurrence
What about WiFi in the tablet. Does that need to be disabled as well?

Nope, the p3 doesn't use WiFi and it's made so you can live stream your video so it's not really a worry at all.

There have been no reports of WiFi being turned on a pilots device causing a problem that I've read. Shouldn't be an issue, put it to the back of your head and get on with enjoying learning to fly. The p2v and p2v+ used WiFi to send the signal back to your phone/tablet so it had to be turned on. The only WiFi conflict issues I've read about were from people flying with a gopro and that they should turn off the gopro WiFi.

There have been no reports of WiFi being turned on a pilots device causing a problem that I've read. Shouldn't be an issue, put it to the back of your head and get on with enjoying learning to fly. The p2v and p2v+ used WiFi to send the signal back to your phone/tablet so it had to be turned on. The only WiFi conflict issues I've read about were from people flying with a gopro and that they should turn off the gopro WiFi.

Mal

Lol just been reading a thread in CSC you and merlin commented on.
You guys don't half get abused by the new people

It took me 2 days of reading posts about it to understand what it was and that you would have to be pretty stupid to do it and hard to do while flying.

I must add for newbies I would probably fly with one stick commands for a bit. As the drone hovers fine lol.

But i do find it it funny how everyone gets offending for you pointing the obvious out.

Jon

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.