The Egypt thread - Insight on customs, filming, experiences.

How will my Egypt trip end

• your going to crash before even downloading any footage to your hard drive.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
My GPC backpack limited edition is in the overhead bin protecting my phantom pro 3 and its 4 batteries, my laptop is plugged into the the row in front of me because I plugged in my gdrive into the socket in my row. I am literally 34,964 feet up in the air and 2762 ft away on a Luthansia jet flying to Egypt.

I was surprised how the US TSA could not have cared less about my drone, obviously because they must see a lot of them come through. So stay tuned to hear how my customs experience is. I will also be uploading short videos as much as my internet permits.

I expect to come back with stories of how kind the Egyptian people are and how how delicious the food is, and how beautiful their country is. More exciting though... I hope to come back with some truly epic drone footage of a country that does not seem to have much drone footage yet. until the next post guys.

Attachments

• IMG_4223.JPG
    IMG_4223.JPG
    838.7 KB · Views: 625
I didn't find Cairo too relaxing...prepare to get haggled to death, especially at the Pyramids. Carry your own baggage from the airport and be ready to use the arabic word "La" a lot.

It's probably the one country I'd never return to....there and Morocco. They'll try and rip you off at every turn.

But enjoy!

Reactions: omarkatwe
You got my vote.
Bring it back alive, and several memory cards jam-packed full of awesome...
Stream the Sphinx live back to us on YouTube?

RedHotPoker

Reactions: AlmostTan
Hope you and your drone have a safe and happy trip. Good luck!

Reactions: izzydrone
I didn't find Cairo too relaxing...prepare to get haggled to death, especially at the Pyramids. Carry your own baggage from the airport and be ready to use the arabic word "La" a lot.

It's probably the one country I'd never return to....there and Morocco. They'll try and rip you off at every turn.

But enjoy!

You know thats kinda how i felt when i left italy.... everyone thought i was crazy... but when i landed in italy the cab driver charged me 200 dollars to go from airport to hotel ( what should have been 40.00) and held my luggage ransom until i paid... and the rest of the trip followed the same style...Hopeing for a better round of luck on this trip.

You know thats kinda how i felt when i left italy.... everyone thought i was crazy... but when i landed in italy the cab driver charged me 200 dollars to go from airport to hotel ( what should have been 40.00) and held my luggage ransom until i paid... and the rest of the trip followed the same style...Hopeing for a better round of luck on this trip.

Yeah just be street smart I guess and try and get a handle on what you should be paying. Tripadvisor and other sites are good for that.
They're pretty good at taking advantage of unsuspecting tourists. It was much more enjoyable outside of Cairo though.

I am
Yeah just be street smart I guess and try and get a handle on what you should be paying. Tripadvisor and other sites are good for that.
They're pretty good at taking advantage of unsuspecting tourists. It was much more enjoyable outside of Cairo though.
meeting a good friend there... so i have the local hook up... that should help greatly.

These are some of the best poll question options ever. Assuming you get the Phantom into the country, I voted for #4 (epic shots etc).

Great start. Keep it coming.

wow wow wow... so i kinda had a weird bit of luck...

customs of course picks me.... I am with 1 other person.. we have 2 bags and 2 back packs (1 full with computer, ipad, iPhone gadgets etc, and the other is the GPC with my p3). the guy go goes through each bag very intensely.. making sure there are no false bottoms etc, even pulling out a old rain jacket that was slide in between some of the fabric from a while back... now about 5 minutes into it and a bit worried... I'm feeling like "locked up abroad" is about to happen. Seriously felt like they were searching for drugs the way he was looking. he was pretty focused on finding a secret compartment.

last he gets to gpc bag... he can't figure out how to open the buckles so i help him. he follows all the zippers around the seems pushing them in etc... and then thinks he strikes gold with the back plastic insert... manages to get the zipper open, then the velcro tab, then the plastic... at this point he is convinced theres something hidden... i get a bit annoyed because it looks like he is about to break it... I tell him look its just a back brace for my backpack.... he finally prys the plastic completely out of the backpack. after he does he goes into the pocket and realizes nothing is there. I instantly grab the plastic to look if anything is broken, and i then i think he felt bad and was like you can go.

I quickly packed my gpc back up... he never even opened it to look at the drone... only went around it... yet he opened every other bag up.... long story short. the bird is in egypt :) Im flying to luxor tomorrow for a cruise and I am going to be taking as much footage of this beautiful country as I can. I imagine domestic flights to be much more lax so not worried at the moment. the internet is painfully slow and I even have a Egyptian phone chip... ugh 3g speeds kill me....so probably no full video uploads... but ill see what i can do. Ill def get some pics up along the way though.

So far so good.

Reactions: ScottyT
Day 1 . Luxor .
My tour guide told me not to even try because we are too close to military bases in a military controlled area. Denied filming by military when I tried to film at attached photo... Man that would have been a good spot.... Still on hunt for good safe location to fly my bird.
But wow amazing experience...
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437644633.402324.jpg

Reactions: Robin Slater
First flight problems report. I checked in to my cruise today early today and couldn't resist launching it from empty boat at around 1pm( bad time to launch obviously) ... Temperature was over 100 degrees... After having calibration issues due to metal of boat I finally got it to calibrate by holding up bird high over head when calibrating. I launched it and stood in shade.... Within 30 seconds of being in the air... Ipad 2 over heats and I lost visual... i didn't like the start of the flight so I grounded the bird... Relaunching tomorrow am after sun rise ...

Even worse news... I tried charging battery and battery started flashing red and green all crazy... I stopped charging because converter was doing something bad...going to buy a different converter and see if it works better.

Getting closer guys...

Well I had 2 short flights in the am from my boat and tried to get my drone into Luxor and Karnak in the early morning but was denied pretty bad... And head of police asked how I even got the drone into Egypt... They are not allowed he said... By the time I came back to my boat the captain told me security reported I flew a drone off the boat and that I was Not allowed to fly it anymore... I'm laying low for a couple days until I probably get out of upper Egypt... But I'll upload what I have so far soon...

WOW man you have one big set of Cojones As well as some pretty good luck considering you have already avoided an Egyptian jail at least 3 times so far already. Hope it keeps up and you have a safe exit as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31