The Effects of Irresponsible Piloting

Reaction score
I experienced a little bit of the effects of irresponsible piloting of a "drone" this weekend while attending a couple of car shows. I just bought my dream car and a guy in my area reached out to me and invited me to attend a car show specific to my model of car. It was a great time with lots of ridiculously cool cars. I brought my Phantom along to capture a couple of photos of all of the cars, but since I felt like a guest, I asked the guy who invited me if it would be an issue before I put the Phantom in the air. He pretty much thanked me for asking before I flew my Phantom and then asked me not to do it. He explained that a friend of his had his car damaged when a drone of some sort crashed into the hood of his car while he was attending a car show. Several witness were standing around and watch the pilot of the drone grab the aircraft from the hood of the car and walk off without taking responsibility. It's a shame I stayed grounded because it would have been a fantastic photo opportunity!

It's a wise choice to check for permission before flying at anything like that, and it's obviously a good thing you did. Even if you didn't have any mishaps, flying there that day could have fostered more negative sentiment among those who already have a bad taste in their mouth about what we fly.

I haven't run in to anybody yet who has been burned by or is just gunshy about "drones" but I'm sure it'll happen soon enough.

OI Photography said:
It's a wise choice to check for permission before flying at anything like that, and it's obviously a good thing you did. Even if you didn't have any mishaps, flying there that day could have fostered more negative sentiment among those who already have a bad taste in their mouth about what we fly.

I haven't run in to anybody yet who has been burned by or is just gunshy about "drones" but I'm sure it'll happen soon enough.

I've only had one incident and it was a mild one. I was flying my P2V in a recreational field (primarily designated for soccer) behind some houses. As I was taking it down to put it back in the case, a guy came walking by with his dog. I said "hey.. how're you doing?" and he looked at me and said. "Is this just for fun, or are you on a case of some kind?" "Nope... Just for fun. Dude's gotta have his toys." It took him a second to smile and then reply... "That we do... "

His first response to the UAV was distrust. Am I filming something for a PI? The cops? An ex spouse? Looking for marijuana plants? I was initially surprised by his question, then realized if I lived in those houses I might have similar concerns...

So... not negative... just kind of thought provoking regarding how our aircraft are viewed by the uninitiated... :?

-slinger

gunslinger said:
OI Photography said:

I've only had one incident and it was a mild one. I was flying my P2V in a recreational field (primarily designated for soccer) behind some houses. As I was taking it down to put it back in the case, a guy came walking by with his dog. I said "hey.. how're you doing?" and he looked at me and said. "Is this just for fun, or are you on a case of some kind?" "Nope... Just for fun. Dude's gotta have his toys." It took him a second to smile and then reply... "That we do... "

His first response to the UAV was distrust. Am I filming something for a PI? The cops? An ex spouse? Looking for marijuana plants? I was initially surprised by his question, then realized if I lived in those houses I might have similar concerns...

-slinger

nah man, i think you might have stumbled upon a serial killer with that kind of question and response lol

Yep, +1 on asking before flying.

I generally would never fly over/near people and priceless things until I have many hours of flying, mainly so I can attempt on doing maneuvers that would cause less damage (i'd rather break my Phantom than replacing something more expensive). If anything, I might employ a couple "spotters" (aka friends/family) that'll make sure I will not come into contact with an object (aka poles, trees, etc) that will knock out the drone and also on that will be directly under it just in case it does "drop".

a couple of guys with those big dog catches nets to swoop it up if it gets out of control ..lol you never know when something or somebody will jam your signal and down it will come ..

There are more than a few responsible, reasonable pilots out there. Sadly, these are not the people who will cause the issues. The small number of people who feel it is their God-Given-Right to fly where they want, when the want, as high and far as they want are the ones who are going to screw it up for the rest of us. In just the last three days we have seen the NPS shut down drones in Yosemite, and total moron crash into the Grand Canyon, and today the NPS posted a notice that drones are banned in ZIon National Park after too many complaints from other park goers and observed incidents of idiots harassing big horn sheep.

Again and agin we provide the powers that be ample proof that there are a sufficient number of total a-holes amongst us that warrant their efforts at tight regulation.

Very sad.

SilentAV8R said:
and today the NPS posted a notice that drones are banned in ZIon National Park after too many complaints from other park goers and observed incidents of idiots harassing big horn sheep.

RC Aircraft have been banned in Zion NP for over a year.

The ban is not new nor linked to the recent incident that happened months after the ban went into effect.

Goddd, my first fpv flight, at my families cattle farm. I had a drunk neighbor shoot at my phantom! Geez, luckily he was drunk otherwise it would have been my baby being shot out of the sky. Typical Maine, anything can happen up here. Rednecks I tell ya :lol:

PS: We are good friends with him and never thought he would do something like that, haha. He then bought went out and got one a month ago… He thought someone was trying to spy on his house, but I wasn't very close or anything. Just circled his house :)

There's actually people on this forum that think a Phantom falling out of the sky and hitting someone on the head won't cause harm... I think it's because he's hit himself on the head a few too many times. :lol: Goes to show, common sense does not benefit all Phantom pilots let alone a sense of responsibility.

thongbong said:
There's actually people on this forum that think a Phantom falling out of the sky and hitting someone on the head won't cause harm...

Link?

I haven't read any such claims. I have read folks explaining why a falling Phantom is unlikely to kill someone.

Please share so we can judge for ourselves.

panhygrous pantler said:
thongbong said:
There's actually people on this forum that think a Phantom falling out of the sky and hitting someone on the head won't cause harm...

Link?

I haven't read any such claims. I have read folks explaining why a falling Phantom is unlikely to kill someone.

Why?

thongbong said:
panhygrous pantler said:
thongbong said:

Link?

Why?

Do you have a link or were you just making it up?

panhygrous pantler said:
Do you have a link or were you just making it up?

Pete? lol. I will not feed you today. No I would not make this up. It was basically an argument of a Phantom not causing serious harm vs if a phantom fell at terminal velocity, striking a baby on the head, wouldn't kill it. etc etc...

thongbong said:
No I would not make this up. It was basically an argument of a Phantom not causing serious harm vs if a phantom fell at terminal velocity, striking a baby on the head, wouldn't kill it. etc etc...

Found the thread. Read it.

Where did that BruceTS guy claim that "a Phantom falling out of the sky and hitting someone on the head won't cause harm.."?

He was addressing the claim that someone would be killed. That's quite a bit different.

panhygrous pantler said:
thongbong said:
No I would not make this up. It was basically an argument of a Phantom not causing serious harm vs if a phantom fell at terminal velocity, striking a baby on the head, wouldn't kill it. etc etc...

Found the thread. Read it.

Where did that BruceTS guy claim that "a Phantom falling out of the sky and hitting someone on the head won't cause harm.."?

He was addressing the claim that someone would be killed. That's quite a bit different.

It was a debate about polar repercussions, it might not kill a person in good health but what about if it hit a newborn on the head or a pack of elderly folks with brain aneurisms--scenarios are endless with vague terms. Hence, it was moot topic.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4