The dreaded ribbon cable

Reaction score
Well after exactly one (1) use, the ribbon cable broke. No Crashes or anything. I thought I would at least get 5 or 6 out of it.

I see there are some threads relating to swapping out that POS with something more robust.

For now, I will order a single replacement as I watch the other threads. How exactly do you replace this?

I assume this is all I need:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... e_for.html

your H3-3D should have come with one spare ribbon cable, so if you just broke the original and are going to mod over to the Hero port (which is now SUPER simple) you don't necessarily need to order that part if you can find your spare.

Here is the part for modding your H3-3D back to having the Hero port. It's fairly new, so far that's the only place we've seen it.

Now, I did a similar mod with the port so my cable is different but the mounting principle is the same. Obviously the ribbon cable from the above part simply plugs into the port in the back of the gimbal which will be exposed when you peel the "h3-3d" sticker off the back of the mounting plate.

You start the whole process by removing a rectangular metal piece from the mounting plate using 2 small screws in the back. Save them (picture 1)
place the hero port in the space you created by removing the rectangular piece, picture 2
plug in the ribbon cable into the port on the gimbal, picture 3
put the rectangular piece on the REAR of the mounting plate (picture 4) and line up with the screw holes. this will hold the screws in when you screw them from the front, picture 5 shows front & rear view

again, please bear in mind you will NOT have the multicolor cable that I do coming out the back of my hero port, you'll have a ribbon cable going from the back of the hero port to the appropriate plug on the gimbal (picture 3)

Attachments

• 1 gimbal piece.jpg
    1 gimbal piece.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 624
  • 3 ribbon cable plug location.JPG
    3 ribbon cable plug location.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 613
  • 2 hero port installed.JPG
    2 hero port installed.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 677
  • 4 rectangular piece on rear.JPG
    4 rectangular piece on rear.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 537
  • 5 final mount front& back.jpg
    5 final mount front& back.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 684
Awesome QYV!

Can I assume my FPV will continue to work with the new setup?

BTW what is that cable you have titled "ignore this"

Creek.Jumper said:
Awesome QYV!

Can I assume my FPV will continue to work with the new setup?

BTW what is that cable you have titled "ignore this"

assuming you already have a "standard" FPV installed, meaning you're getting video + power from the main board of the Phantom via Zenmuse then this mod shouldn't affect your FPV at all... the gimbal will continue to send video to the Phantom mainboard as well as provide power to the GoPro

I personally performed a similar mod before I was aware of the linked Hero port + Zenmuse ribbon cable item. MY Hero port does not have the Zenmuse ribbon cable, rather it has that A/V cable I list as "ignore this"... therefore it does NOT integrate into the H3-3D in the same manner, I had to take that A/V cable and patch it directly into my video transmitter.

I wish I'd waited a week longer and known about the Zenmuse ribbon cable version, much easier and more convenient!

Thanks for posting. Any downside to this mod? Balance issues? I am on my spare and have two extras as well. But after those I would do this for sure.

WPSPETE said:
Thanks for posting. Any downside to this mod? Balance issues? I am on my spare and have two extras as well. But after those I would do this for sure.

imo a lot of H3-3Ds have balance issues anyway, mine sure did but this mod shouldn't cause any additional problems over anything that was pre-existing. My balance didn't change when I did my version of the mod.

Those little stacks of tape you may notice on the side of my gimbal are how I balanced mine

QYV said:
WPSPETE said:

imo a lot of H3-3Ds have balance issues anyway, mine sure did but this mod shouldn't cause any additional problems over anything that was pre-existing. My balance didn't change when I did my version of the mod.

Those little stacks of tape you may notice on the side of my gimbal are how I balanced mine

Thanks again. On my list of things to do.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20