The 4km club Long Range FPV

Reaction score
Just did 3.89km. My goal was a 4.5km (the road just beyond). Still had video, but can't seem to get the control to go any further. Might try different antennas on the P2V or an amp for the TX. Was again VERY windy (15 to 20mph) and I just made it back (20% battery remaining). While that sounds like plenty, it was dropping fast fighting the wind.

Later, I will update this post with video proof.
epyjepe4.jpg

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

• Screenshots_2014-02-08-19-33-49.jpg
    Screenshots_2014-02-08-19-33-49.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 4,058
Re: The 4km club

Please share the set up I've been following you for the most part but it seems you change your set up so much I can't keep up. Lol
You running the boosters now?

mr_3_0_5 said:
Please share the set up I've been following you for the most part but it seems you change your set up so much I can't keep up. Lol
You running the boosters now?

Good point. This was done with the setup I showed in the wifi thread. I'll post pics later. Amplifier on P2V with one SPW24 antenna. I used the stock repeater (no additional amplification or boosting, pure stock power) with the heliaxial antenna (only one, the other is still the stock internal. The TX is stock power with an 11db mini patch.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

Congratulations themosttoys, nicely done!

In the meantime I just found out my 5.8 is only putting out 1-2mw! Surprisingly not bad for the range I've been seeing with improved antennas, but clearly explains why I've been struggling with control any farther out.

Since it was so low, I attached my RF-Links microAmp and measured 200mw. But for now I'm out of the game until I get my dealer to replace the TX.

iDrone :cry:

iDrone said:
Congratulations themosttoys, nicely done!

In the meantime I just found out my 5.8 is only putting out 1-2mw! Surprisingly not bad for the range I've been seeing with improved antennas, but clearly explains why I've been struggling with control any farther out.

Since it was so low, I attached my RF-Links microAmp and measured 200mw. But for now I'm out of the game until I get my dealer to replace the TX.

iDrone :cry:

Sorry to hear that, but you figured it out (good work.)

Strange that you would bring it up, but while doing other testing I decided to recheck my TX and it is now coming in a 70mw (first tested at 126mw.) Batteries are good (new) and I tested the voltage on each to be sure. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it continues to degrade.

themosttoys said:

Strange that you would bring it up, but while doing other testing I decided to recheck my TX and it is now coming in a 70mw (first tested at 126mw.) Batteries are good (new) and I tested the voltage on each to be sure. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it continues to degrade.
Thanks. While troubleshooting I swapped out my NiMH's with a fresh set of Duracell's and noticed a drop in output! That immediately made me wonder about current draw (easily more from NiMH), and that in-turn made me wonder about the Chinesium battery leads between compartment & main board.

Although DJI specs current draw at 80ma, I'd like to run some tests to measure actual draw, then replace the tiny gauge battery leads for some heavier ones and retest. Things to consider while you're R&D'ing.

If all that's fairly solid, I hope this doesn't come down to a case of poor design whereby the final is ultra sensitive to marginal SWR and is frying itself.

iDrone

iDrone said:
themosttoys said:

Thanks. While troubleshooting I swapped out my NiMH's with a fresh set of Duracell's and noticed a drop in output! That immediately made me wonder about current draw (easily more from NiMH), and that in-turn made me wonder about the Chinesium battery leads between compartment & main board.

Although DJI specs current draw at 80ma, I'd like to run some tests to measure actual draw, then replace the tiny gauge battery leads for some heavier ones and retest. Things to consider while you're R&D'ing.

If all that's fairly solid, I hope this doesn't come down to a case of poor design whereby the final is ultra sensitive to marginal SWR and is frying itself.

iDrone

Interesting - if you come up to the reason/solution to the problem could you also post your findings here
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5828& ?

Themosstoys, you still have to catch on air you p2v? or you figure out how to put the antenna on the phantom? can you share the antenna position? still perpendicular to the ground?

thnks and very nice work.

oukenfold said:
Themosstoys, you still have to catch on air you p2v? or you figure out how to put the antenna on the phantom? can you share the antenna position? still perpendicular to the ground?

Yes, I still catch. I promised pics, so here they are (3 pics per post).

This is the take off position:

After take off, I rotate the antenna (I'm using a cable tie):

Another angle of the in flight position of the antenna:

Attachments

• P2VAntenna2.jpg
    P2VAntenna2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 4,318
  • P2VAntenna3.jpg
    P2VAntenna3.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 4,096
  • P2VAntenna4.jpg
    P2VAntenna4.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 4,176

The controller, using stock repeater and heliaxial antenna on quick release camera mount.

Attachments

• P2VController1.jpg
    P2VController1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 893
  • P2VController2.jpg
    P2VController2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 903

themosttoys said:
sangfhas said:
What's spec for your antenna ?
Where can i buy it?
nice job man

The antennas are EXCELLENT. They are Circular Wireless.
The antenna on the P2V is the SPW24 (http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=1096).
The antenna on the repeater is HELIAXIAL24 (http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=1538)

Thank you, I'm very happy with the results.
Can you post pic that you connect inside camera and wifi extender ?
I can't wait to make like you ;)

Have you ever tried that antenna on the repeater and just the pv2 stock antennas ?
Guess that would be RHCP and LHCP

mr_3_0_5 said:
Have you ever tried that antenna on the repeater and just the pv2 stock antennas ?
Guess that would be RHCP and LHCP

I've not tried it. Aside from the LHCP / RHCP issue (which is a big issue). My main problem with the antennas on the P2V is that they are side firing directional antennas. While I am in general a fan of directional antennas, I was frustrated by losing video when I yaw (pan) down range. With the stock camera antennas, when greater than 1km away, I could keep video only while flying sideways, if facing away or toward home, I would lose video. I went and did both at the same time (went for what I knew would work). First I did linear antennas (search my past posts). Under perfect conditions (no wind) linear was doing well. The problem with linear is that when the P2V is blown sideways, I was losing signal. The CP antennas resolved that problem.

To the best of my knowledge, PVFlyer is the only person that has been able to maintain video down range while flying directly away or toward home (with the stock camera antennas). I'm still perplexed (and impressed) that he has had such success (even with the helicals).

themosttoys said:
oukenfold said:

Yes, I still catch. I promised pics, so here they are (3 pics per post).

Good flight again themosttoys. I seem missing new threads after a week or so when out of town.

I have been struggling by the limit of 5.8G control link. I have ordered some parts to mod the 5.8G transmitter and hope to resolve the issue.

As I see your rotable SPW antenna, do you consider to use a tiny servoless retractable landing gear used by RC plane controlled with CH-7. It may only weight 25g. Just a few thoughts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20