That range issue..

Reaction score
Guys i'm new to drones but i know 270m distance is a very low number. Actually before getting the phantom 3 standard, i wanted to have that 1km range to get cool fpv and stuffs, but know i got it i realise that 500m is just good for me (at the moment). I know that trees, buildings and stuffs like that may reduce my range but i get on top of my house, that means no trees or other buuldings on my altitude, and at 270m i lost the signal.. That's quite dissapointing. I tried these diy antennas (parabolic boosters) but still nothing. I'm getting an ebay one but honestly i don't think it's gonna do something. Also, i wanted to ask you, what's the best altitude to achieve higher range? Any other recomendations? Thank you!
a2651f61e9b9bf6d2a81ccce5df933b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Nino, make sure you're RC antenna is turned so its perpendicular to the drone. If drone is above you, then point the antenna so it's parallel to the ground. If drone is straight out in front of you then bend the antenna so its vertical. I know it helps with mine....most of the time. Dji has a tutorial on this on their forum.

I do my best with this and still getting this range.. Thanks you by the way!

The problem is i can't afford something like this at this time. Can you tell me the most common altitude for longer range please?

Ninos, I honestly don't know the answer to that. I had mine at 400ft with no signal issues on one day and another day I would get loss of signal at that height for a second then it would come back. It just depends on environment and what obstacles are around.

I find higher goes further. On distance flights I'm at 396'.

Bighorny you mean 396 meters?
Dirty Bird, i would say both but mostly video signal and i have to find out the orientation to safely bring it back to me (sometimes i use the maps within dji go app)

But guys i mean 250 average is fairly low number. No money for mods, i would only get a windsurfer

No. I meant altitude of 396'.

FEET. That's what the symbol ' means.

It's ok. I fly in a populated area and range can be an issue. As suggested, play with the antenna aiming. Try less populated, clear areas. Fly higher. Those will all help. There are antennas in the body of the remote as denoted by the stickers above S1 & S2. Make sure not to cover those with your hands or phone.

I'm gonna fly again tomorrow, and propably in a less populated area and try all these. Thanks, i will update tomorrow with results.

Good luck. There are multiple reports of 1+ mile flights with stock antenna. You will do better, certainly.

I agree your range is extremely low & I would be totally disappointed were it my aircraft. What is your flying environment? Lots of houses & trees? Are you able to maintain a clear LOS between controller & aircraft? Have you tried flying in a clean RF environment like over open water or open fields away from potential sources of interference?

Bighorny you mean 396 meters?
Dirty Bird, i would say both but mostly video signal and i have to find out the orientation to safely bring it back to me (sometimes i use the maps within dji go app)

But guys i mean 250 average is fairly low number. No money for mods, i would only get a windsurfer

Bighorny i own the standard and i'm probably in CE mode as i live in Cyprus, Europe. Is 1 mile even possible?
Dirty Bird, my flying enviroment is not the best but i always maintain LOS. What's RF enviroment?
Also a pic of where i fly it mostly:
68c295f9ecc93dd51eacc30e7df8680c.jpg

RF is radio frequency interference, which I suspect you have a bit of with the number of houses in the photo. While some will scoff, I would say switch it to FCC mode. That alone should double your range. Is that a lake I see off in the distance? Perhaps take her there & do some range testing over open water. Try CE mode then switch to FCC mode for a comparison.

Bighorny i own the standard and i'm probably in CE mode as i live in Cyprus, Europe. Is 1 mile even possible?
Dirty Bird, my flying enviroment is not the best but i always maintain LOS. What's RF enviroment?
Also a pic of where i fly it mostly:
68c295f9ecc93dd51eacc30e7df8680c.jpg

Reactions: BigHorny

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik