That @#$#@ battery door!

Reaction score
I knew it wasn't the most secure of latches, and I had planned on installing SOME kind of secondary protection, but I figured it could wait until I started to do some serious and/or aggressive maneuvers, which I am NOT ready to do yet.

Nonetheless the battery door opened and the battery slid part-way out - maybe 3 cm or so. The Phantom went to the ground easy, so no damage whatsoever, but hell, I was just doing lazy 8's to get used to the handling and had added a bit of a slalom to both ends of the 8's when the door popped. @#$#@$%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I picked the craft up, checked it out completely, re-inserted the battery and took off again for a couple of minutes just to assure myself everything was in working order. It was, but, JEEEZ!!! That battery door latch sucks! Maybe I need to train the wires better to keep them from putting pressure on the door??? If that had happened at altitude instead of 5 feet off the ground, I'd be VERY pissed right now.

PF

justsomeguy said:
If this situation continues to cause you untold grief and consternation there is a simple solution out there that is very inexpensive.

Western cultures describe it as being "duct tape."

I LOL'd pretty good at that one.

Glad I get to laugh instead of cry. Could've gone very differently. I think I'm capable of coming up with something a bit more unobtrusive and elegant than duct tape, though!

PF

Simple solution. I also use it to mount light accessories like the headlight seen dangling on the right.

I took the Door off, carefully, but left the hinge pin in place. Attached a Velcro strap instead, fastening above the batt hole. Now I no longer struggle with aftermarket battery cables, I can use longer batteries and net weight is a slight positive. The battery door is a flimsy PITA piece of plastic.

Roadkilt said:
I took the Door off, carefully, but left the hinge pin in place. Attached a Velcro strap instead, fastening above the batt hole. Now I no longer struggle with aftermarket battery cables, I can use longer batteries and net weight is a slight positive. The battery door is a flimsy PITA piece of plastic.

did the same thing. best decision I have made

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic