Thanks everyone!!,

• Thread starter Deleted member 20291
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20291

I posted a few questions regarding the phantom 2 vision plus and iPad mini for my brothers birthday gift. I was torn between buying my brother, (who is confined to a wheelchair) a Parrot Bebop Drone with the Skycontroller or the DJI Pjantom 2 Vision +.

I could'nt really afford the DJI drone but after researching and the help I received in this forum from a couple of very insightful people, I was swayed into the more expensive DJI Phantom. I was really concerned about the higher price tag because it meant extra financial pressure for me and my brothers inability to fly and land any drone without crashing or breaking it caused me to see $1300.00 Canadian go down the toilet.

I read every manual (online) and watched every You Tube video I could on learning about this particular drone. Once I gave him the drone for his birthday on February 1st, 2015 I was very nervous he would not be able to understand it or the procedures involved. It was and still is winter here in Canada. Well..... We took it out on a very cold day to an open field, calibrated like we were supposed to and then after months of prep work...... He flew it. WOW!!!!!!! I've not seen him this excited about anything in years. He was a kid in a candy store.

It worked absolutely PERFECT. No hiccups, no problems, just perfection. My biggest concern was his landings. DJI even made that a simple, easy, effortless thing to do. My brother landed it so softly he could have landed on egg shells. We took it out again two days later in a light snowy fluffy day. Once again after re calibrating for the new location it worked perfectly, landed perfectly.

So..... to the people go offered their help and guiding me in the right direction, I say THANK YOU. My brother has not been this excited for years. He's even looking forward to the warmer weather for making longer flights while filming and then editing his video. To all those people who say it doesn't work, or it crashes, or it doesn't fly right.... I say BUNK!!!!!
If my 60 year old brother can fly this, anyone can. If he can land it softly and safely, anyone can.

This drone worked EXACTLY the way it was designed to work. It will work perfectly but the user MUST read and read again.

Thank,you,everyone for making my brother happy.

Your story made me smile - it's so refreshing to read a truly positive post.

I hope your brother keeps that smile for a long time to come - I can see it in my mind as we all have had that when we first flew our Phantoms!

Happy & Safe flying.

Steve

Kidokwan: Your story is a wonderful one. And I, like most readers, are happy to see the positive results of your efforts. I do want to provide a tiny bit of caution to you over your "Bunk" comment. Most of the problems that are reported in this forum are very real. People don't make them up. Forum members post their issues to either look for help in resolving a problem or helping others resolve theirs. Your short experience without issues is great news. But its is a short experience. Members have flown hundreds and hundreds of flights without issues. But because of design flaws or other reasons, things happen. The Phantom is a complicated machine and like any machine, things can, and will, go wrong. With the help of this forum, we all try to stay 1 step ahead of any looming problem to prevent a loss of our choppers. You should do the same.

Great story and thread

The problems are real but I'm sure they are a vast minority of flights. The joy on the other hand is also very real. Great post. Glad your brother is having fun.

Such a big smile reading this!
I am so glad it has helped him to get beyond his wheelchair even if only for a little while.
A bloke I know bought a quad bike for that very reason. Lost a leg serving his country (UK). He thought he would be able to drive around the mountains he used to train on - that is until the authorities decided he was being anti - social.........................
I just hope over regulation doesn't harm this wonderful hobby!

That is great news. I was wondering what you finally decided. I bet he loves it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic