TFRs and Drone

Reaction score
Hello,
I live in south Florida and am 336 registered. I was asked to drone at the Palm Beach County canine event this Saturday by the Boynton Beach Police Department, but there is a presidential TFR. Is there anything I can do to still be able to fly?
Thanks

but there is a presidential TFR.
A TFR is just that. A TFR. Not a thing you can do about it, except follow it. Your registration status has nothing to do with it.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hello,
I live in south Florida and am 336 registered. I was asked to drone at the Palm Beach County canine event this Saturday by the Boynton Beach Police Department, but there is a presidential TFR. Is there anything I can do to still be able to fly?
Thanks

Since this flight would not technically be "recreational" I don't think you would be legally flying under Section 336. Even though no money will exchange hands, you are still flying to cover an event. If the flight is "intended" for the purpose of promoting the event then it is most likely deemed commercial and requires a Part 107 certification. That is obviously open to interpretation.

You cannot fly in a Presidential TFR area unless you were to obtain a waiver from the FAA. I would expect that to be nearly impossible, but you can try. In any case, it probably is short notice to have any chance of obtaining a waiver.

First off KUDOS to you @Andy172 for taking the time to ask and research ahead of time. THANK YOU!

Also KUDOS to our members who have given you Top Notch (and very accurate) information and suggestions above.

Technically anytime someone "Asks you" to fly for them you're already outside of the Hobby/Recreational protective bubble. The fact that a Law Enforcement Agency would do this and not know enough to also make sure you have a Part 107 is very discouraging for us as an industry.

I'm going to ask you to do me/us a favor.... when you go to contact the Boynton Beach Police Department I want you to give them my contact information and ask their PIO to please give me a call. I've got an information packet about sUAS safety and Public Safety sUAS Operations that I would be glad to share with them. I've also got some links to FAA webinars aimed specifically at Public Safety to help get them onto the same page as everyone else in terms of LEGAL sUAS operations and ILLEGAL sUAS operations.

I'll PM you my direct contact information that you can pass along to them.

Allen

Yeah, I wondering why a PD would ask a 336 operator to fly an event. They should know better.

If you're 107, you can get allowances to fly under a TFR, but you'll need permissions from both the FAA and the Secret Service. You're only saving grace is that you're being asked by a local PD, and that many help get the approvals. They'll need to apply though. Once they get a 107 or COA pilot to fly the event.

I seriously doubt you can get any sort of waiver for it
As a pilot we have to be on an IFR flight plan with a transponder code and two way radio communications to go into a TFR
Just FYI

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.