Tethered P4P

Reaction score
Has anyone ever Jerry rigged a tethered solution for a P4P?

The Uneec solution is $10k aus $ plus drone

Sorry I mean a power source attached to drone for continuous flight and reduced risk of flyaway

Uhm very interesting....

My thoughts:-

I think in order to get enough power up a 150' cable and the cable still be light enough for the Drone to support, would require the use of inverters and an AC power source.
The P4P consumes approx 120 -130 watts to stay in the air, drawing approx 7 - 9 amps of continuous power @ around 15.2 Vdc from the battery.
Using a higher AC voltage say 80 - 100 Vac the current carried by the cable could be reduced to a couple of amps, and playing around with the Voltage and the Frequency could allow a further reduction in current, thus a smaller cable required.
Then instead of a heavy Lithium battery you would use a custom made Inverter housed in the Drone to supply the power instead of the battery.

It obviously works because such tethers are commercially available, so needs someone with enough Geek power to work it all out....:cool:

Waylander

Uhm very interesting....

My thoughts:-

I think in order to get enough power up a 150' cable and the cable still be light enough for the Drone to support, would require the use of inverters and an AC power source.
The P4P consumes approx 120 -130 watts to stay in the air, drawing approx 7 - 9 amps of continuous power @ around 15.2 Vdc from the battery.
Using a higher AC voltage say 80 - 100 Vac the current carried by the cable could be reduced to a couple of amps, and playing around with the Voltage and the Frequency could allow a further reduction in current, thus a smaller cable required.
Then instead of a heavy Lithium battery you would use a custom made Inverter housed in the Drone to supply the power instead of the battery.

It obviously works because such tethers are commercially available, so needs someone with enough Geek power to work it all out....:cool:

Waylander

If the supply were bumped to around 120 V then 24 AWG copper would work for a 100 ft tether with around 5% voltage drop. That would weigh 150 g, not including the necessary voltage converter on the aircraft, which is doable on the Phantom. You could forego the battery, but that leaves no failsafe if the power supply goes down. The tether solutions for the Matrice 200 series replace just one of the two batteries for that reason, but of course the heavy-lift aircraft (the Matrice will lift 8 lbs or so) are much better suited to tethering anyway.

Reactions: Waylander

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20