Testing P3A batteries for life

Reaction score
Somebody told me there's a way to look at a battery's life but going into "Settings" somewhere. Is there a way to see how many times it's been charged or if it's never been charged?

You can find that information in the "Aircraft Battery" section of the DJI GO app. Keep in mind that it only increments the times charged value each time the battery is 100% depleted.

OK, are you saying I have to throw in a dead battery to get the info? When the battery is 100% depleted, will the first LED still blink? Do I need a special device to drain the battery to zero?

No. What I meant is that your battery will most likely only show it has been charged once after you've actually charged it twice (since you never charge it from 0% to 100%).

Jeez now I'm even more confused. Is there a way to tell if a battery is brand new or has little life left in it?

BatteryLif.png

I think you're missing his question. I don't believe there is a way to tell if a battery is new or old, other than the obvious, scars on the battery, worn case in general. I know you don't want to know how much power is left in it, just how many cycles are left. This deal about 100 cycles, I don't understand. I have a drill that's 5 years old, its batteries have been through hundreds, if not thousands of charge/discharge cycles. I used it everyday when I was working, and probably every other day now that I'm retired. And I've never changed batteries. So the 100 cycle deal seems like a way for dji to keep you buying. If I had known the 149.00 battery only lasted 100 chargings, I would have looked for something with a more robust batt.

I think you're missing his question. I don't believe there is a way to tell if a battery is new or old
Oh? Which question did I miss?

Sit down at your table with your remote & p3 sit the p3 on your table. Go into the App with the battery installed in the P3. Turn everything on, and let it warm up. When you have a Good camera picture, safe to fly (non-GPS) at the top of the screen in the middle. Tap your screen at the top RIGHT CORNER where you see the THREE lines. Then Go down to the BATTERY symbol. TAP THAT, and you can see all battery info such as cell voltage, battery percentage "Times Charged" Exedra. Most people Believe 100 charges is max life although I have read 200max. Subtract times charged located on the battery info screen from 100 to get your worst case senerio. If it says charged 40 times then you have 60 more charges at the worst case. Personally I believe it has ALOT to do with WHO charged the battery previously, and discharged it. Storage temperature, NOT charging a just used or HOT BATTERY. "COLD WEATHER USE" Exedra. Pay attention to all FOUR cell voltage readings. See how far they are off. This is a good indication of the overall batteries health. The closer the individual cell voltage readings the better. Do not leave your battery fully charged for long periods of time. Just either drain it - 50% or charge it to approximately 50% if you plan on not using the battery for a while. I would set the discharge time for 10 days until all of this battery mess is straightened out. Don't let it set completely dead and don't let it set completely charged. The safest charge level for storage is approximately 50%. It's nothing at all like your car battery that has to stay at 100% our losses cranking amps. Leaving a lithium battery fully charged causes it to swell, and lowers the mah,.

Sit down at your table with your remote & p3 sit the p3 on your table. Go into the App with the battery installed in the P3. Turn everything on, and let it warm up. When you have a Good camera picture, safe to fly (non-GPS) at the top of the screen in the middle. Tap your screen at the top RIGHT CORNER where you see the THREE lines. Then Go down to the BATTERY symbol. TAP THAT, and you can see all battery info such as cell voltage, battery percentage "Times Charged" Exedra. Most people Believe 100 charges is max life although I have read 200max. Subtract times charged located on the battery info screen from 100 to get your worst case senerio. If it says charged 40 times then you have 60 more charges at the worst case. Personally I believe it has ALOT to do with WHO charged the battery previously, and discharged it. Storage temperature, NOT charging a just used or HOT BATTERY. "COLD WEATHER USE" Exedra. Pay attention to all FOUR cell voltage readings. See how far they are off. This is a good indication of the overall batteries health. The closer the individual cell voltage readings the better. Do not leave your battery fully charged for long periods of time. Just either drain it - 50% or charge it to approximately 50% if you plan on not using the battery for a while. I would set the discharge time for 10 days until all of this battery mess is straightened out. Don't let it set completely dead and don't let it set completely charged. The safest charge level for storage is approximately 50%. It's nothing at all like your car battery that has to stay at 100% our losses cranking amps. Leaving a lithium battery fully charged causes it to swell, and lowers the mah,.
Now that's an answer. Thanks. I will be doing this tonight, just to see where I'm at on my battery.

How many charges are left on this battery.
He didn't ask that question ;)

Since you brought it up though, there is no way to tell how many more times a battery can be charged.

He didn't ask that question ;)

Since you brought it up though, there is no way to tell how many more times a battery can be charged.
I beg to differ. And see post 10 for the way to do it.

I beg to differ. And see post 10 for the way to do it.
Unfortunately, there isn't a magic number for every battery. It mostly comes down to how you care for the battery. I say mostly because it's possible for batteries to be defective.

Don't take my word for it though. You know me.. I rarely know what I'm talking about ;)

Unfortunately, there isn't a magic number for every battery. It mostly comes down to how you care for the battery. I say mostly because it's possible for batteries to be defective.

Don't take my word for it though. You know me.. I rarely know what I'm talking about ;)
Me neither, but the guy that posted #10 seems like he's done it before.

It has EVERYTHING to do with how you care for your battery. AVERAGE lifespan is 100 to 200 charges. Some people LIVE by the 100 Rule. Personally I (Number my Batteries, #1 Through #6). The oldest battery, "MOST TIMES CHARGED" #1 Being the Oldest with the most charges. This is not a rock solid science though. Like I said before you have to pay close attention to each individual cell voltage to determine the overall health of the battery combining that with the performance of course. An easy way to check the performance is too start your video with a clean SD card preferably 16 gigabytes, or more right before you take off. Just set your video format to 720p, or 1080p for this test unless you actually are filming something you prefer having Better resolution. I use a 64 gig SD card, so I don't have to worry about it. Do a normal flight in reasonably decent weather if possible. When you're battery reaches somewhere between 15 - 20% go ahead and land While "stopping your video right after touchdown." Your video will have the time listed in minutes and seconds. That can be your stopwatch. You should be able to get approximately 20 to 23 minutes of flight time on a good battery. This is if you are flying at a temperature of approximately 50 degrees "Fahrenheit" at least, If your individual cell voltage is extremely close to one another, and you're getting this amount of flight time your battery should be in good condition. Another thing is remember cold air gives you less lift. Warm air gives you more lift. When you fly in cold weather your motors have to spin faster in order to lift the Phantom off the ground. When the motors spin faster, or Run a Higher RPM, they obviously use more power. ALSO Look at your battery. Pay attention to the silver rap the lithium battery is actually located inside of. If you notice any type of bulge extending past the white plastic casing then the battery has obvious visual damage. This can occur from a variety of things, but the #1 "NO NO " Is do NOT charge A HOT battery that has just been used "EVER"!!! Allow the battery to set for approximately 20 to 30 minutes before recharging, and always remember one thing!! Your battery likes to be in the same temperature YOU feel comfortable in. That is if you are human of course!! LOL. A good number to live by is approximately 75 degrees Fahrenheit. This is for storage, and ESPECIALLY right before a flight. Never FLY a COLD battery!! No matter when it was charged, or battery percentage being 100 percent, individual cell voltage all corresponding with each other Exedra. A COLD battery can give FAULTS readings through your APP. One Minute your at 50% charge the next your at "THREE PERCENT"!!! Within a few seconds your props STOP turning, your screen goes blank, and you need a BODY BAG to carry your phantom home in!!! It will (DROP LIKE A ROCK) from whatever height you're at, and hit the ground in a Blaze of Glory!!!! I have not had this happen personally, Thank God, but I have done as much research on it as I possibly could in order to #1 FLY SAFE, and #2 put my beloved Phantom back in its comfortable carrying case In ONE piece to FLY AGAIN!!!;)

You know I just thought about something, and I'm going to put it up next. IT should be a huge help to Y'all, and anyone that is relatively new to the Entire Hobby!! Especially the Phantom 3 Series, and GO APP!!

Good luck and Happy SAFE Flying Fellas!!!:)

Last edited:
DJI Phantom 3 | How to and Tutorial videos: DJI Phantom 3 | How to and Tutorial videos - YouTube
I hope this will help Y'all like it did me. There are alot of DJI videos also, but I Really Like this Guy. I always research Many different Sites When I feel it to be necessary. He pretty much covers everything from A to Z, and I have checked to make sure all of his data is accurate. He is a authorized DJI dealer also by the way.

Good Luck!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj