Testing Itelite DBS Phantom 3 antenna

Reaction score
Looking forward to flying the P3 with the new Itelite P3 2.4Ghz Antenna
The quick mount is absolutely gorgeous

It is beautifully engineered and a snap to install

I have mounted it on my Handset with a amp that is already installed

I hope to fly it without amp and then with the amp. I have done the battery mod and get 25 minutes flying.

The British weather is pretty rubbish at the moment with 25mph gusts - so waiting for an ideal oppertunity to launch flight

IMG_2543.JPG
IMG_2545.JPG
IMG_2546.JPG
IMG_2547.JPG
IMG_2548.JPG
IMG_2549.JPG
IMG_2550.JPG

I hope to fly it without amp and then with the amp. I have done the battery mod and get 25 minutes flying.

The British weather is pretty rubbish at the moment with 25mph gusts - so waiting for an ideal oppertunity to launch flight

View attachment 25120 View attachment 25121 View attachment 25122 View attachment 25123 View attachment 25124 View attachment 25125 View attachment 25126
Can you please share how to make battery mod for Phantom 3

If requested I can do a step by step guide on the battery mod. However I suspect the majority of the P3 owners will not enjoy 'cracking open' the P3. So here is a brief summary.

You need to open the P3 and solder onto the main board 2 sets of battery wires and drill the P3 casing to route them out of the aircraft on either side. You then use your imagination to mount one battery on each side outside the P3 so you have balance. I used 4s 1000ma Hobbyking nanotechs lipos which weighed 150g each.

Testing of flight time:

1. Standard P3 - 18 minutes
2. P3 with 2 extra batteries unconnected (to test effect of extra 350g weight on P3) - 14.20 mins
3. P3 with 2 extra batteries connected - 24.25 mins

So it is possible to achieve 24-25 mins flying time - if I can fly on average 30mph that will equate to 12.5miles round trip of approx 60000 feet maximum is possible. Clearly this would require no wind getting in the way.

Had a epic flight yesterday.

18500 feet - full signal on both control and Video. Only reason I turned around is I basically lost my nerve. With the battery mod I landed at 30%. What really annoyed me is that the DJI Pilot app crash about a minute before landing and the flight record comes up as corrupted. I still have the video from the aircraft which I will upload to youtube and update the link.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This antenna rocks and you don't need anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fplvert
If requested I can do a step by step guide on the battery mod. However I suspect the majority of the P3 owners will not enjoy 'cracking open' the P3. So here is a brief summary.

You need to open the P3 and solder onto the main board 2 sets of battery wires and drill the P3 casing to route them out of the aircraft on either side. You then use your imagination to mount one battery on each side outside the P3 so you have balance. I used 4s 1000ma Hobbyking nanotechs lipos which weighed 150g each.

Testing of flight time:

1. Standard P3 - 18 minutes
2. P3 with 2 extra batteries unconnected (to test effect of extra 350g weight on P3) - 14.20 mins
3. P3 with 2 extra batteries connected - 24.25 mins

So it is possible to achieve 24-25 mins flying time - if I can fly on average 30mph that will equate to 12.5miles round trip of approx 60000 feet maximum is possible. Clearly this would require no wind getting in the way.
Can you please make HOW to video..I am interested to install additional batteries

Can you please make HOW to video..I am interested to install additional batteries

There are videos on youtube showing how to wire batteries in series on a Phantom. It's the same concept. Just get a pair of XT60 connectors, wired in series and soldered directly to the main battery leads inside the Phantom. As the poster said you will have to make a hole or two into your Phantom body, and use a little creativity as far as mounting. I've seen 3D printed battery trays for this purpose as well.

Had a epic flight yesterday.

18500 feet - full signal on both control and Video.

This antenna rocks and you don't need anything else.

Right on Mohan!

What was your stock distance in that area? Did you fly there in stock configuration?

I went out and got 5.24miles with the battery mod...

Still full signal... still had 32% battery left.

Right on Mohan!

What was your stock distance in that area? Did you fly there in stock configuration?

I went out and got 5.24miles with the battery mod...

Still full signal... still had 32% battery left.
Hi DBS, I have preordered a panel. Did u get these in stock? Will the panels look like mohan's and when will they be shipping out?
Thanks
Alex

Also Just ordered (cant wait ). Would Also like to know regarding the questions alex asked.

I want this just for a rock solid signal with good penetration, don't need to boost for the flying i do. For those with this antenna, how critical is the directional pointing to maintain signal strength? (thank goodness for the radar)

Stock - exact same location 12400 feet - signal was dropping in and out. Battery was the limitation. With DBS P3 antenna no signal loss what so ever. With battery mod pushed it past 18000 feet but full bars on signal - could have done another 5000-6000 feet easily. Just lost my nerve.

No boosting or amps. The amp was on before. I have taken it off as there is no point. This antenna does not need a booster. It is compact and now fits inside my rucksack without disassembly. The handset is so much easier to hold without the weight of the amp, battery and battery monitor. It is now compact and simple.

Also the antenna direction did not appear critical as I did not concentrate carefully as signal was so strong. This is a bonus as direction was so critical before

Hi DBS, I have preordered a panel. Did u get these in stock? Will the panels look like mohan's and when will they be shipping out?
Thanks
Alex

Alex - the general release looks exactly like what I got. Superb quick release mount. Little 'wing' nuts to mount the panel onto mount. You can take it part in seconds and reassemble it. Professional manufacturing

View attachment 25126

Hi Mohan.

Would you please share with me the height in cm of the remote with the new antenna installed in order for me to check if I would still be able to close my case once put inside?

I have a Microraptor case as you can see from the below picture.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437476517.091642.jpg

Alex - the general release looks exactly like what I got. Superb quick release mount. Little 'wing' nuts to mount the panel onto mount. You can take it part in seconds and reassemble it. Professional manufacturing
Nice! Thank you. Do u know when they will be shipping out? When did u receive yours?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic