testing GPS and compass before each flight

Reaction score
Is anyone else doing this?

First off, I have my p2v+ in NAZA mode.
When I first tack off for each flight I have always been taking the p2v+ 15-20 feet away and then flipping the switch on the controller to Return To Home mode. I then make sure the p2v+ turns and points in the correct direction and moves to the correct home location. If anything goes wrong or it start going in the wrong direction I can quickly switch back over and take control to land it.

I don't know if its just me but by doing this I then have full confidence in flying out of view knowing it will return on its own if needed. Knowing it has satellite lock before taking off is great, but I just like to verify its all working like it should.

I think this is a good idea. Maybe overkill, but I recently had a fly away and I'm up for improving my odds every way I can.

I also use the P2 assistant software to make sure to make sure the IMU is in calibration, I use the advanced mode, and make sure the limits are close to +- .5 After a crash, the P2 needs to be re-calibrated.

scooter339 said:
I think this is a good idea. Maybe overkill, but I recently had a fly away and I'm up for improving my odds every way I can.

I also use the P2 assistant software to make sure to make sure the IMU is in calibration, I use the advanced mode, and make sure the limits are close to +- .5 After a crash, the P2 needs to be re-calibrated.

There is a NAZA LED sequence that indicates invalid IMU data, which may be the same as the IMU needing calibration. I saw it last night when I was calibrating the IMU and I got impatient and canceled it, then power cycled the bird. The lights were flashing all three colors in sequence. I had no idea what it meant until I saw it on the chart.

Toolz, I do not go to the extent you do. I just make sure I got the course direction and the GPS home before flying away. It has not failed me yet.

Even after my flyaway, in which my 450 just glitched out and took off, I'm still not really convinced it had anything to do with my GPS or compass. I had full GPS lock and it recorded home position,. yet the bird wasn't reacting to my Tx at all

BlackTracer said:
scooter339 said:

There is a NAZA LED sequence that indicates invalid IMU data, which may be the same as the IMU needing calibration. I saw it last night when I was calibrating the IMU and I got impatient and canceled it, then power cycled the bird. The lights were flashing all three colors in sequence. I had no idea what it meant until I saw it on the chart.

Toolz, I do not go to the extent you do. I just make sure I got the course direction and the GPS home before flying away. It has not failed me yet.

Thanks

MikesTooLz said:
When I first tack off for each flight I have always been taking the p2v+ 15-20 feet away and then flipping the switch on the controller to Return To Home mode. I then make sure the p2v+ turns and points in the correct direction and moves to the correct home location. If anything goes wrong or it start going in the wrong direction I can quickly switch back over and take control to land it.

Did I understand correctly? Can you launch p2v+ when it is in Return To Home mode?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic