Test passed..what to look for.

Reaction score
This test is hard. No way around it. What you should look for. Sectionals, know how to find the info on them. I had several questions about the frequency used at airports. Load balancing is also on there. I did have a few METARS and TAFs, but they were not that hard. I had a lot of sectional stuff though. Also if your proctor does not tell you, you can look at the legend chart at the front of the FAA book, which you can download, and it is quite helpful.

At my exam center, you were not allowed to bring anything electronic with you (including smartwatches FYI); they provided a lockable bag to put stuff in which they told me to keep with me. They supply the testing supplement, a pencil and a couple of sheets of paper (hint: use them to mark distances on the charts using the size legend!), and a calculator/flight computer - in the case of my proctor it was an electronic one built into the testing application, but some might give you a physical one.

I took and passed the test as well. I'd recommend knowing cold all the drone regulations, that covers about 1/2 the test, but you should also know how to read the Airmans Knowledge test manual, and as Rj says, the frequency/communication and definitely know how to read the legend in the beginning. If you don't know how to read a chart, you will probably be retaking the test.

This test is hard. No way around it. What you should look for. Sectionals, know how to find the info on them. I had several questions about the frequency used at airports. Load balancing is also on there. I did have a few METARS and TAFs, but they were not that hard. I had a lot of sectional stuff though. Also if your proctor does not tell you, you can look at the legend chart at the front of the FAA book, which you can download, and it is quite helpful.

Did you have any questions that required you look at a compass rose to determine heading??

(...something like, "if a pilot radios; ...on left downwind for runway 32, what's the pilot's current heading?)

If so, what did you use for a compass?

A compass rose won't be necessary for these types of questions. Hopefully, whatever you use for test prep will teach you that runway numbers correspond the magnetic heading on that runway. You should also learn about the traffic pattern and how to mentally position an aircraft relative to the runway based on traffic calls.

Reactions: Falcon900
I didn't have any like that, however there is no guarantee you wont. The only runway question I had, was... you are flying your down 6NM south of the runway inspecting a tower with a high intensity light. Are you in class C space.

I passed today too, 87% and must admit I was worried.

Same comments as RjeffW. I had to guess on how far away from a (radio) tower one needed to stay to avoid the guy lines, how many days after moving to report my address, and what you do after you auger your drone in.

SB

Reactions: Falcon900
A compass rose won't be necessary for these types of questions. Hopefully, whatever you use for test prep will teach you that runway numbers correspond the magnetic heading on that runway. You should also learn about the traffic pattern and how to mentally position an aircraft relative to the runway based on traffic calls.

BTW, I'm a GA single engine land student pilot, so I'm up to speed on traffic patterns and heading ID but when I'm flying a 172 there's a compass on the gauge stack so finding the heading opposite 'runway 32' or mag 320 is just a matter of checking the compass. Having looked at enough compass', I can pretty much guess '90, 180', 270' and so on but I'm really guessing if I'm trying to figure the increments from memory and for my money, guessing the answer on this test AIN'T the way ta' go.

BTW, I'm a GA single engine land student pilot, so I'm up to speed on traffic patterns and heading ID but when I'm flying a 172 there's a compass on the gauge stack so finding the heading opposite 'runway 32' or mag 320 is just a matter of checking the compass. Having looked at enough compass', I can pretty much guess '90, 180', 270' and so on but I'm really guessing if I'm trying to figure the increments from memory and for my money, guessing the answer on this test AIN'T the way ta' go.

I had no heading questions. But you can take a calculator and a plotter in with you. (210º - 180º = 30º). But no your METAR/TAFs well. I had a question about one of the examples in the booklet over what the wind was forecast to be at 1600 on one of the TAFs.

I had no heading questions. But you can take a calculator and a plotter in with you. (210º - 180º = 30º). But no your METAR/TAFs well. I had a question about one of the examples in the booklet over what the wind was forecast to be at 1600 on one of the TAFs.

A plotter...hmmmm, that's a possibility.

A plotter...hmmmm, that's a possibility.

I had several questions referencing, "you're client wants you to photo (whatever) 6SM SW of airport KXXX...." so a plotter would have been handy to figure the distance out.

My magnifying glass helped with the chart stuff BTW.

SB

I had several questions referencing, "you're client wants you to photo (whatever) 6SM SW of airport KXXX...." so a plotter would have been handy to figure the distance out.

My magnifying glass helped with the chart stuff BTW.

SB
Thanks...

The charts in the booklet used for the test are not to scale. A plotter scale will not show the right distance.

...won't need the plotter for determining time and distance. I need the compass to determine intermediate heading...particularly reverse headings.

i.e. without looking, what's the reverse heading of 310 degrees?

Trying to do this from memory is a little more difficult than just looking at a compass.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31