Tenergy TB6AC4 Balanced Charger Rant

Reaction score
Ok...so I bit the bullet and plunked down nearly $200 for the above cited balance charger. I wish I would have known about the ridiculous number of button pushes one MUST do in order to program a balance charge for one stinking channel/battery, let alone FOUR. Watch the YouBoob video and you will see what I mean.

Next: This unit is huge, clunky, excessively and unnecessarily heavy, and has >>NO<< on/off switch!!! Are you SERIOUS???? How many >>cents<< would it cost to have a rocker switch for power??? This unit is $200.00 for heavens sake!!! You are relegated to plugging and unplugging the unit each time you use it!!! Add to that it is so huge and heavy I would NEVER take this charger into the field for flying like I intended to do when I bought it.

Don't be fooled by the 50 watt rating, either. The balance charge rate tops out at a meager 5 amps. PERIOD. That means your 5000mAh LiPo's are charged at 1C, MAX. The FREE charger I got with my Phantom charges at 3 amps so the 2200mAh batteries get charged at ~1.4 C, which is still a pittance. And you know how long THAT takes! The 5000mAh batteries (for the Jumper 600) will take an eternity to balance charge at 5 amps (=1C) and they are rated WAY higher than 1C for charging. And what about my RC Buddy parallel board which can accept power to charge 6 batteries at once??? The 5 amp output limit turns THAT investment into a joke.

What nerve to say this is a 50W balance charger! It sure as hell is NOT. If you max out at 5 amps for each of four channels, that's 20 amps, NOT 50. Seriously...I'm MAJOR LEAGUE DISAPPOINTED that I spent $200.00 on this!

The final blow is the idiotic Chinglish of the "manual". It makes absolutely no sense, and is printed in such small type you can't read it anyway. You MUST download the pdf, and even now that you can read it, the content is still gibberish. In order to even get a clue as to the functions and how to invoke them, you must watch the Youtube videos.

Worst investment of my RC career.

PF

Ouch! Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have a Tenergy Accucel-6 in a couple of days (or whenever HobbyKing **** well feels like shipping it), and was hoping to use it with a paraboard like yours. I'll post my impressions as soon as I can test it.

@ Quadcopter:

Here is the video. The charger I have basically incorporates the electronics of this Tenergy unit FOUR separate times. Check out the number of button presses to do anything! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AIAomVTKHw If I'd have seen this ahead of time...

I should also mention there are loud dual fans that come on the moment the unit is plugged in. WHY??? I can understand if the unit gets hot they should come on, but having them on all the time when 99% of the time they are unneeded is completely unnecessary and obnoxious.

ARRRGGGHHH...

PF

sorry to hear of your disappointment, I have the same charger but for one battery, it was a short learning curve, but it is an awesome charger for me, the on off switch would be nice, like the other poster said, if your charging one type of battery, just plug in and it's all set,no need to reprogram each and every time, I would buy it again, and not scared of the 4 batt charger.

Yeah, I'm not saying I can't get it to work, but I use only LiPo's, and the myriad of options for other battery types requires excessive button pushes, and is a PITA.

I think my beef is with the are two-fold: The physical attributes - the unit is heavy, bulky, noisy, and complicated. Then the electrical: the limit of the outputs of 5.0 amps per channel. That just pushed me over the edge. A 1C charge rate maximum capability on 5000mAh batteries which can safely accept a charge at 8 times that amount, means I'm going to have to wait 8X longer for the battery to recharge. That pissed me off to no end...

PF

PhantomFan said:
Ok...so I bit the bullet and plunked down nearly $200 for the above cited balance charger. I wish I would have known about the ridiculous number of button pushes one MUST do in order to program a balance charge for one stinking channel/battery, let alone FOUR. Watch the YouBoob video and you will see what I mean.

Next: This unit is huge, clunky, excessively and unnecessarily heavy, and has >>NO<< on/off switch!!! Are you SERIOUS???? How many >>cents<< would it cost to have a rocker switch for power??? This unit is $200.00 for heavens sake!!! You are relegated to plugging and unplugging the unit each time you use it!!! Add to that it is so huge and heavy I would NEVER take this charger into the field for flying like I intended to do when I bought it.

Don't be fooled by the 50 watt rating, either. The balance charge rate tops out at a meager 5 amps. PERIOD. That means your 5000mAh LiPo's are charged at 1C, MAX. The FREE charger I got with my Phantom charges at 3 amps so the 2200mAh batteries get charged at ~1.4 C, which is still a pittance. And you know how long THAT takes! The 5000mAh batteries (for the Jumper 600) will take an eternity to balance charge at 5 amps (=1C) and they are rated WAY higher than 1C for charging. And what about my RC Buddy parallel board which can accept power to charge 6 batteries at once??? The 5 amp output limit turns THAT investment into a joke.

What nerve to say this is a 50W balance charger! It sure as hell is NOT. If you max out at 5 amps for each of four channels, that's 20 amps, NOT 50. Seriously...I'm MAJOR LEAGUE DISAPPOINTED that I spent $200.00 on this!

The final blow is the idiotic Chinglish of the "manual". It makes absolutely no sense, and is printed in such small type you can't read it anyway. You MUST download the pdf, and even now that you can read it, the content is still gibberish. In order to even get a clue as to the functions and how to invoke them, you must watch the Youtube videos.

Worst investment of my RC career.

PF

Watts = Amps x Volts

Your Message is clear to me Phantomfan... I will not buy one.

Even after a month or so of using this charger, I still don't care for it. The fans are noisy, and although it does a more than credible job of actually charging the batteries, the clunky size, weight, and noisiness are hard attributes to overlook. Problem is, I have no idea if the other products out there are any better.

I made up a cigarette lighter D/C plug with an XT60 adapter so I could take it out into the field, but so far have not ventured out to fly outside of my 1.2 acre back yard. Thus, my self-made power cord remains untested. Maybe in the spring I'll go out for a day-long fly with several quads and be glad I have this charger...but until then, my opinion of this brick is still "meh"...

PF

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj